What would you do??
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What would you do??

Default What would you do??

Fished out of Manasquan on Thursday. The bunker were so thick you could walk across them. Just pod after pod as far as you could see.
    With so much food in the water, is there any point to throwing a fly into the mix? What would you throw?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Were there Bass under them? Deep ? How deep ? Any sign of bass blowin up on them from time to time ?
    John Yank

Quote Originally Posted by Flyguy784 View Post
    Were there Bass under them? Deep ? How deep ? Any sign of bass blowin up on them from time to time ?
    or birds???????

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Keep it simple match the hatch. Big bunker big flies work the edges of the school. If no takers go deep deep as possible. Use erratic retrieve make it look wounded.

-------------------
    Catch and Release
    Bob

There were no birds working and yes the bunker were spraying. The sounder said we were in 6' of water when in fact we were in 45 feet, the bunker were that thick. The bunker seemed to be from the surface down to about 20 feet. Every pod had signs of something feeding on them.
    Only saw 1 bass caught all day. I'm sure there were more we just didn't see it. The picture may give an idea of just how thick they were. The color change in the background is the far side of the school. There were dozens of pods just like this.
    Last edited by 2dogs; 01-07-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Kenny, in my opinion, having seen situations like that, is, trying to entice a bass on a fly is hopeless. The odds are astronomical. Bob's suggestion is valid. It would be the way to make an attempt. I asked, how deep for a reason. throwing a line that would sink to those depths is serious work. You'd be talking about a 600 grain head minimum. Add some current in there and probably more. With the odds so high, who'd want to spend 8 hours throwing a 750 grain line with such a pityfull chance. If you had bass consistently blowing up on those bunker, MAYBE. Then, the technique described by Bob might have worked. If I was a convention gear guy, I'd have tried "snag-n-drop". Maybe pick up a big fish waiting on the bottom for just that type opportunity. Unfortunetly you don't know what was "occaisionaly" blowing up on those bunker. Could have been blues or even sharks. I've had Threshers doing that less than a mile off the beach.

I'm not sure what significance "birds" hold. It would be more typical to use a bird sighting to locate bait or blitzing fish at a distance. You were ON the bait. The presence or absence of birds means little if anything at all. The only possibility was that they recognized there were blues or sharks occaisionaly feeding on the bunker. Bass swallow those things whole. Blues or sharks would tend to tear them up a little, leaving something for the birds to scavange.

In that situation, I may have opted to work the jetty. Find some more isolated fish, possibly some Weaks, triggers or blues. In other words, worked some serious structure looking for holding fish.
    John Yank

When we use to see decent schools of bunker along the beach down here, many times instead of stripers, the sprays were caused by brown sharks coming up toward the surface.

Default Stripers on bunker

Masses of bunker are difficult to to overcome with the fly rod or bait for that matter!
    It's best to move away in search of smaller pods with active bass actually blowing up on fish! Under this situation your fly can stand out & hopefully get bit.
    I have fished situations like this & I like to match the hatch. Years back a master fly tier from Belmar area named Butch Colvin developed a bunker fly that imitated a mid size bait , like 7" long !
    I had to cast on a Teeny 450 with shortened to turn over'ptoperly.
    Fished two ways, deep intermidate fast to intermediate retrieve ,
    Surface wise sink ten or do & blast it home!
    These methods aren't panaceas by any means but next time try it may work for you on a given day!
    Capt Lou

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in