Bunker pattern - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bunker pattern

Now back to serious discussion.
    I can only voice my opinion on this. For Striped Bass, tandem hooks are totaly unnecessary. They are a fouling nightmare in most cases. Certainly they'll foul more than a single hook set up, tube fly or not. They increase danger at release time and make it far more difficult. More hooks equal more trouble.
    Let's just say that I've caught a few bass. I have, to my knowledge, never missed a striped bass hit due to a "short strike". Bass aren't like billfish for instance that have developed a feeding pattern of chasing down an extremely fast bait fish and grabbing it by the ***, that's where a tandem set up would be an advantage. Bass are "engulfers", they open that huge face of theirs and suck in the entire bait, and almost exclusevly it's head first. Ever try to catch an eel by the tail for instance? Bass key in on those big eyes and they are the bullseye of the hit. They don't chase down a bunker and nip at it's tail.

To me, it's no sense to put an extra hook on a bass rig. Gammi has some nice fine wire big game hooks. The fly will be fine with a hook gap of that size, as is.

I believe the reason you generaly don't see much fouling in tandem billfish type flies is that those flies never "relax". They're cast, striped fast, and recast. Never really letting the tailing get loose and fluid and waveing around the hooks. Bass flies aren't like that. They're cast, allowed to flutter to depth, erraticaly twitched and paused. This gives the tailing plenty of time and oppurtunity to foul as it waves and undulates around that second hook. As hard as those big boys are to cast, as much time as it takes to get to depth, you want every cast to have a working fly. Not a ball of shiny **** being dragged back thru the water, which will actually tie that shiny **** into a knoted mess. No point in my book. That fly is perfect as tied and very fishable. If you're having problems missing hits, on a single hook fly, you're not keeping in perfect contact with your fly at all times. IT IS CRITICAL!

Just my opinion. I'd love to hear other points of view.
    Last edited by sparse grey; 03-01-2013 at 05:11 PM.
    John Yank

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Oh, sorry to rant on here but......tube flies are really used on bill fish flies to reduce leverage. With a big billfish fly, as the beast jumps and throws it head back and forth, the added weight/mass of the big fly causes the hook to work back and forth with great force. Widening the hook hole and helping to lever it out. Bass don't do that violent head shaking stuff. Certainly it shakes it's head, but it's more of a head throb than a violent, fast shake.
    John Yank

Sorry for the *** John. However I do agree with you point.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

I should have known better Ron. Can't blame me for trying though. Really sunk the point home I thought. Poetic license me thinks.
    John Yank

No problem. Getting closer aren't you? All set with the boat? BTW Several years ago Johnny & I located a pod of weekfish that would always feed in this area (& no will NOT spot burn that one) halfway through an ebb tide dark & many would short-strike. Tied some same flies with a small tandem trailer ala the "ha-ha" rig. Really did work.
    Last edited by sparse grey; 03-01-2013 at 08:58 PM.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

Yea, we're getting closer alright. All set on the boat. 20 ft Pro-Line, Pro-Lite flats boat waiting for us. Almost tied a Bahamas trip onto this one. Guy on Barn Sale was selling a 3 day bonefishing thing he won. We were ready to buy it, Bimini Sands resort. Shuttle boat over to Bahamas and back to Miami to fly out after. I did some checking into it, would have been a steal. Alas, NON-TRANSFERABLE.
    Going down to my sons place now to help with some work. See ya all Sunday night.
    Oh, weaks are nibblers.
    John Yank

You are right John. Didnt look at it that way. Single it is. Thanks John!!

Received the flies today. 4 total One at 8" on an 8/0 One at 9", one at 10" and one at 11" all on 10/0. They look great. Looking forward to trying them out.
    John let me know if you want to test drive one, I'll send it over.

Just bring a couple with you when I take ya out on the flats Ken. It'll be soon. Some shorts being caught already, from a reliable source. I want to squeeze in a bunch of runs before early May. I'll get the boat license. The Triumph will be here for the spring season.
    John Yank

Quote Originally Posted by Flyguy784 View Post
    Bass flies aren't like that. They're cast, allowed to flutter to depth, erraticaly twitched and paused. This gives the tailing plenty of time and oppurtunity to foul as it waves and undulates around that second hook. As hard as those big boys are to cast, as much time as it takes to get to depth, you want every cast to have a working fly. Not a ball of shiny **** being dragged back thru the water, which will actually tie that shiny **** into a knoted mess. No point in my book. That fly is perfect as tied and very fishable. If you're having problems missing hits, on a single hook fly, you're not keeping in perfect contact with your fly at all times. IT IS CRITICAL!
    I love this!! What a great post. Simple and straight to the point!!

Thanks John! Looking forward to it.

Roger Ken. As soon as my guy starts hitting them with some regularity, I'll be in touch.
    John Yank

Banned

casting a fly like that is not that bad. a little breeze from behind and your good. Most of the water weight sheds out on the backcast. 1 foward 1 back and let it roll out. I had great luck with a similar fly years ago inside stage harbor up in Mass. on a depthcharger flyline,,10wt.sage rplxi. The strip was two hands and fast. The fish would follow in hot pursuit and after a pause and strip eat it. Wind into the face and it will be a pain. Bring a wire dog brush , brush it out and its as good as new if fouled. The fish that eat it are on the bigger side . The ones that i encountered were 15-20lbs. Your fly looks great!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in