Fishing reports march 1 - march 31
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fishing reports march 1 - march 31

Default Fishing reports march 1 - march 31

March is here & I hope the conditions allow a few more to get out some. Hope to see some good reports from all. I have been fishing out of Flamingo in the Everglades National Park with my friend George from Rockledge Florida(near the Space Center & formally from Leesburg, N.J.. We have had some wind out of the North. Bradley Key is a short distance from Flamingo & we know a few areas from being here before. Marina, store & ramp area at Flamingo.

Sorry, here is the marina.

One of our spots near a point on the South West side af Bradley Key (spot burning again) current right to left, dirty 74.7 degree water. Nice moving water.

Holding good redfish.

and trout.

Was supposed to return to Cudjoe today but staying another day. More tomorrow.
    Last edited by sparse grey; 02-28-2013 at 07:55 PM.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

That area is one of my favorites.
    That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Nice report. That spot looks really fishy as did the area in the first picture. What was the go to fly?

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Spent ten days in Mexico south of Cancun and fished Ascension Bay twice with a Pesca Maya guide. Unfortunately it was REALLY windy the entire time we were there. Managed a few nice bones on the fly both days but the conditions were really tough. We found a spot where we could wade a huge flat and did a little "do it yourself" wade fishing and managed to hook up a few bones one day and got the skunk on the last day. We saw a few permit but never really got a shot. All in all a good four days of fishing, and sure beat the cold dreary weather here.

Sounds as though you had a good time. Good that you were able to overcome the conditions. Have to be flesible.
    Ron Conner

First night trip to the bridge for tarpon. Been hearing some reports & seeing some activity so had at it. 0 for 1 home before 11. End of the incoming, water temp. 72.6, & no fish visible or heard. Will be doing again. Felt good to be out in the dark again.
    Ron Conner

Sparse, Send us some warm weather it is getting kind of frustrating dealing with all this cold. Only fished night tarpon once and it is a blast.

Wish I could send some to you. Spent today on Navel Air Base Key West. Air show with the Blue Angles. Great time. 83 degrees, SW winds 20-30, clear sunny skies. Quite a show.
    Ron Conner

Ron, we're hoping to do some night time Tarpon runs this May trip. They can be quite productive as you know. I've always been reluctant to do the night time thing down there around the bridges. Chasing a hooked Tarpon around those bridge abutments in the day light is difficult enough, I hate it. It must be brutal at night. Do you find that fishing down tide/current at night, the fish tend to run out either into the ocean or bay, depending on which way the current is running? I'd hate to have one get all wrapped up under a bridge.

Won't be long now!
    John Yank

It is usually comfortable here at Kemp. One of the guys doing well this year has stayed away from the channel & is much closer to Summerland side. Way easier out of the current & much less traffic. We fish the up-tide side & no control over which way they run. Stronger tackle & heavy pressure hopefully causes them to go up-tide, throw the anchor & try to stay clase. Our bridge has the curved Flagler bridge oceanside & if they get through that, it is over. I really like the under 40lber. Pinfish throughout the water column (mullet when you are here if you can get them) Plugs with trebles removed & toad, black death & hopefully worm flies during your time.
    Ron Conner

Can't wait for the saltwater season to start. Had a couple of people wanting to do fly trips this weekend. Boat is not in the water and with the bait guys still seeing slow action I am in no big rush to put in April 1. Last year with the warmer winter we got the first stripers on the fly around the 7th of April I hope to put in next week, but things have to warm up a bit. If the clam and bunker guys are finding it slow, trying to get a fish to chase a fly will be next to impossible.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in