More questions
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: More questions

Default More questions

I intend to fly fish for snapper and schoolies. I'm not really going to be chasing bigger fish but I'm going to be using a 9wt rod, reel and line just in case I get lucky or catch the bug to chase the bigger girls with flies. I know for smaller fish my tackle isn't critical but for larger fish it would be.

So for the bigger girls up to around 20lbs and larger blues:

Which is preferred a fly line with loop connections for fly line without?

I've used a nailless nail knot and albright knot for freshwater bass and trout but I'm not sure those knots would get the job done. If I have to use a fly line without loop connection which knot would be best for connecting my leader?

Are sink tips a good idea and if so when and with what should they be used?

If I want to use a teaser, do I tie a dropper loop in my leader and can I tie the flies in tandem as I might with flies while trout fishing?

How necessary is a large arbor reel?
    Last edited by Allejo; 03-08-2013 at 10:04 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

I cut the loop off the end of the flyline and cinch a uni knot onto it. I've never had one break.

Flyline has a lot off stretch and the rods have a lot of give. So unless you have a fish wrap around a bridge piling, rocks,
    or a huge fish jump and land on the leader than it's unlikely you'll get broken off. Also many times fish are broken off right @ the strike since there is no give @ that point. I use uni knots for almost everything and they are a proven simple knot to tight that has a high breaking strength.

Most times, half the battle if keeping the line tight so the fish doesn't throw the hook as it changes direction.
    Last edited by insomniac; 03-08-2013 at 10:01 AM.
    Insomniac Guide Service LLC
    Capt. Dan Schafer
    Year Round Striped Bass
    Shallow Water Back Bay
    Fly & Light Tackle Fishing
    in Stone Harbor NJ.
    (609)-780-5124
    [email protected]
    G.Loomis, Shimano, Yeti, Lowrance, Tackle Direct Pro Staff
    Join Us On Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Insomniac-Guide-Service-LLC/127841563899334

Capt Dan's suggestion is good. I use it as well. Thing is, there's 20 ways to do what you're trying to do. Pre-made loops, slim beaty, Albright special, whip a loop, on and on. I do, on some lines, attach a short (6 inches) length of 40 lb flouro with a loop (double surgeons loop) tied into the end. It facilitates leader changes more quickly. I also coat my fly line to leader loop knot with UV knotsense, just to "round off" the knot edges a little.
    John Yank

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Zap

Sink tips, teasers, and large arbor reels.
    Ditto on the above advice on knots. Don’t use a nail knot. They can slip.
    I almost always use a sink tip for beaches, and always in current. There are many options. Something like a Sci Angler Streamer Express,Rio Outbound, or some kind of shooting head system.
    You can certainly use teasers, but it will impact yourcasting. Keep them small and un-weighted,and something completely different from your point fly. I don’t bother with them.
    Large arbor is the way to go. Faster line recovery.

I still like the loop connections on the end of the fly line. I makes it easy to change leaders and for me in saltwater I do not use tapered leaders unless I am casting a very small fly, which I rarely do. I use the braided ones and then use knot sense to smooth the connection. I have never had any problems. I check the loop every once in a while for signs of wear and if so just replace it with another.

All good info so all I can add is, find out what pound your backing is on your reel and never go above that with your leaders. With what you describe in your set-up you should have 200 yards of 30 # test backing. You wont to brake you leader on a big fish not lose your hole reel!!
    The Swing is the thing - The Tug is the Drug!

One more thing, when using braided loops, use mono thread and put a half inch whip finish on the fly line end of the loop, put the heat shrink over the whip finish. Instead of knot sense I use pliobond, it is flexible.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in