sink tip fly line for stripers
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sink tip fly line for stripers

Default sink tip fly line for stripers

I've been invited down to fly fish the Roanoke river this spring for stripers. We will be fishing from a boat and I was told that we will need a line that will sink at about 12" per second with the depth of river 15'. That being said I'm trying to figure out how to set up my 9 weight without having to buy another line. I have a old Stu apte 9 wt. multi tip fly line that I can use and would like some suggestions on what type of 30' head would work the best and not bust the bank (it's only going to be a 1 day trip) Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Look into Rio sink tips. Been awhile since I bought one but as I recall they were sold seperatly. I have an 800 grain and a 1000 grain. Obviously not your everyday sink tips but I needed them for something special. For your rod and conditions, I'd say a 350 grain would suffice.
    John Yank

John
    Thanks for the reply.... Here what's really strange - right after I posted I decided on which flies I was going make .... A yank-assassin in chartreuse ....now I think I'll just go buy a lottery ticket.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Many Striped Bass have made the mistake of eating a "Yank's Assassin" off the Indian River, North jetty and Coast Gaurd station area. About 5 inches long should do it.
    John Yank

John, I tied several of them at Lefty Kreh's Tiefest last Saturday, they got alot of attention, gave you due credit.

Thanks Capt frank. Post up a pic. Love to see how you did. I won't be hard on ya, I promise, well sort of, well, maybe a little hard. The trick with the Assassin Frank, is a very twitch, twitch erratic retrieve, close to structure or the bottom. They need that short pause to blow out and wriggle. I alternate between 1 or 2 or 3 twitches at a time. DEADLY!
    Seriously though, post a pic.
    John Yank

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in