Another "new to flyfishing" thread
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Another "new to flyfishing" thread

Default Another "new to flyfishing" thread

My son gave me his flycasting set up, since he moved and cannot use it right now. It is a 9ft. 8/9 wt. Redington Redfly rod. The fly line has been on for years and is brittle and needs to be replaced. I want to become proficient in the art of fly fishing. I fish mostly on IBSP from the beach, fluke, bass, blues. I doubt right now I will make any forays to the jetty. Now here's the questions. Which line would be recommended for this shallower beachfront fishing? Also where in the Ocean County area are there any fly shops or clubs? I'd rather give my business to a local shop than deal with catalog or online purchases. I've watched many videos but all of the info can be overwhelming. I would enjoy getting one on one or even group lessons. I enjoy this forum very much and appreciate any and all help.
    Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Welcome aboard S&T. you have a decent enough set up to get started. I don't recall what the reel on the Redfly set up was like. It's been said a thousand times on this board, "Get to a Saltwater Fly Fishing Club Meeting". Ray will pipe in here I'm sure. Most all the guys in the club will be happy to get you started. Take your outfit. They can look at it for you and advise you on it's suitability. Like I said, it's been years since I looked at the Redfly stuff. Wasn't it called "Redstart"?

They can get you casting, at least a good start at it. All the confusing things you've seen thus far will become much more clear with a one on one explanation. I thought the same thing many years ago when I purchased my first fly rod from Sports Authority. It quickly, all falls into place. That wouldn't be my first choice of rod for what your trying to do but, if you find you enjoy the pursuit, you can up grade. On line choice; again, for this set of circumstance, I'd probably go with a 9 wt intermediate line. Easier for the beginner to cast, will give you enough depth to work from the beach, the back etc. As your abilities and pursuits mature, you'll then be able to decide what line will best suit those needs. Most of us have an assortment of lines and choose a specific line based on the quarry and the location we intend to fish. Tropical lines, shooting heads, floating lines and depth charges with fast sink rates. Don't get confused, it'll all become clear, it's more straight forward than it might appear at first glance.

Do have someone take a look at that reel, make sure it's adequate. Hate to see you get into a nice fish only to have it fail on ya.

That being said, stick with it. It's the most rewarding form of angling I've found thus far. It's not that hard to get to the point where you can cast a fly into the surf. The challenge then becomes, how to catch fish on fly consistantly. Regardless of species, or, within reason, conditions and location. The reward is well worth the effort.
    John Yank

Welcome to the world of fly fishing. John gave some excellent advice. Since you are up in Ocean County our fly club South Jersey Coastal Fly Anglers my be to far for you to travel too. Atlantic Saltwater Fly Rodders is closer and they will help you just as we would. Fly fishing is not hard at all. From the outside it looks difficult and complicated but it is not. I wish some one had gotten me interested in it when I was young. It is just a different way to catch fish and for many of us addicted to it, is seems the ultimate way to fish.

Welcome to the bass barn, feel free to ask any questions. No question is stupid, We were all once novices and been where you are looking for answers. Even today no matter how experienced we get, there is always something to learn. Could be new patterns, techniques. Nothing right or wrong if it works for you. Getting those first few fish on the fly is the first step as once you know you can do it, your confidence will drive you to become better and better.

keep us posted on your progress and that first fish on the fly, even if it is a small snapper blue to start. Good Luck!

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Make sure when you start casting,, to cast with a fly that has no weight. It's a common misconception that your throwing the fly and whipping the rod makes the cast. The LINE is what is cast , and the fly is carried to the target by the fly line. I also say pinch the barb in till your in complete control of the fly LINE. Wear a pair of sunglasses . Believe me , you don't want to smack yourself with a fly that has a cone head or set of clouser eyes on it. It is like being shot with a pellet gun!! I did it once when first learning , it hurts!!!! You will find that flies with no weight cast much much easier at first. Once u learn the control and accuracy of the line your set! Good luck!

Good advise, hope you can locate the Club. I want to add my hearty WELCOME & I do hopw you enjoy your stay.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

Haven't even wetted a line yet and I'm hooked. Thank you for all the help.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in