Reports may 1 - may31
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reports may 1 - may31

Default Reports may 1 - may31

May has finally come & I can only hope the weather will continue to get better. Some good striper reports have come in & I would expect there to be more. I received a call from Ocean City area reporting several bass on some sod banks in the area. Hopefully the oceanfront will start to produce. We are getting some better weather down here & the tarpon migration is under way. I have had some takes a few hook-ups but none landed as of yet. When reporting please give as much information as possible concerning wind,, tides, time of day, fly used & all else WITHOUT an exact location. The only pic I have is from a neighbor here with a very nice mutton snapper 27 inches to the fork & 12.5 lbs. A delicious fish. John Clayton from New Jersey. Have a good month.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

After working in the yard all day planting annuals and moving some shrubs I decided to go fishing and do some scouting for tomorrows fly charter. Left dock at 5:00pm to fish the last of the out going tide. Fairly decent wind from the northeast as I cleared the inlet. Water was 55 degrees and very dirty. Could only see fly down maybe a foot at best. It must of been all the wind and rain earlier in the week that made the water so ugly.

Fished for 2 hours and had to work hard for 4 very small stripers with the biggest 17 inches. They all hit chartreuse/white clousers on sinking line. All fish were caught close to the bottom using short strips like you would use for weakies or fluke. Didn't see another boat fishing or any one off the jetties fishing. No signs of any bait fish the there were tons of dolphins. Hope the water cleans up some by tomorrow as it looked like mud.

Glad to hear you got out. Curious="last of the outgoing". Nothing in the back??
    Ron Conner

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Water in the back bay was dirty from all of the wind and have yet to see any bait back there or around the dock. All the ospreys that I have seen are all feeding in the ocean where I am fishing and once in a while there is a tiny bit of tern action. If I get out with my charter this afternoon the back may be the only place to fish as right now the wind is coming out of the east strong enough to blow your waders off. Even if it lets up a bit. Straight out of the east is probably the worst wind direction and is going to make fly fishing tough.

Was to do one angler fly charter today. Got up this morning and the wind was honking out of the northeast at around 25 mph and predicted to blow all day. Took a ride along the beach front just prior to leaving for charter and ocean was nasty with sand blowing down the beach. Thought I had a shot at getting out the inlet and working the lee side but waves were pretty nasty with no place to hide.

Met charter at the dock at 3:00 pm and wind was still honking around 22 with some higher gusts. Decided it would be a waste of time and effort and not much fun. Since his wife was out shopping and he had nothing else to do, I suggest we jump in the car head to Cape May Point where the wind would be at our back. With his limited saltwater fly fishing experience I set him up with a spin rod and I fished with sinking line and a clouser.

We got there at the top of the tide. Water was brown but not as bad as what I fished in last night in the ocean. He was the first to catch a fish.

About 15 minutes later I hook into a nice fish and caught this nice 29 1/2 inch keeper. Wasn't wearing waders or boots as I didn't think I would need them, but with the steepness of the beach I had to go down into the water with my sneakers to get the fish in the back wash. (Water was a bit cold and I had squishy feet the rest of the time.) Had to do it or risk breaking it off.

We took a few pictures and released it to be caught another day.
    Terry caught another fish about a half hour later and that was all the fish.

I had one other small bass that fell off the fly in the surf and one other hit. We both had a great afternoon and we quit around 7:00 pm. The tide was getting low, I was getting hungry and my wet feet were getting cold.

We did better on artificials than the 6 other guys fishing the same area with bait. They were using clams and bunker and only catching skates and sharks.
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 05-03-2013 at 11:00 PM.

Way to go, CapeMayRay!

Fly rods are just as good as spin rods? ..... with you maybe better? You build my confidence every time you post!

Even in fresh water, a fly rod is all I ever use now. So much more fun to catch on!

I was a little mixed up, but now I'm back on track.

Banned

Ray!!! Nice fish off the sand , nothing better, good for you sir!!! Whata ya think about me coming down for a afternoon with my son,, it would be cool just meeting you and I am sure we could put a bendo in the rod!!! Not looking to charter just go fishing, show fleyes and hangout. You appear very laid back and cool , might be a great trip!!!

WTG Ray. Nice that it came together.
    Ron Conner

With the wind a little less than yesterday, I thought I would try and get out with my charter and see if we could fish the lee side of the inlet. Ken Kelly (Irish Fly was just returning from a trip where I wanted to fish and had some stripers, blues and weakfish. It was too windy for his charter to fly fish and they had to go to sping fishing. He went out on the beginning of the income when the rocks were higher, providing more shelter and said conditions were getting worse as the tide got higher and that I probably shouldn't to out as it was really getting nasty.

Excited about possible good action we decided to see for ourselves what the conditions were. We left the dock at 3:00 pm with the last of the incoming tide. With the wind blowing hard north east for the last three days, we got to the mouth of the inlet and it was nasty with waves breaking over the north jetty and hairy conditions at best across the whole mouth of the inlet. Wind was blowing about 5 mph higher than they predicted. Into the 20's somewhere. Could of gotten out, but with the tide so high there was little shelter from the rocks and it would of been a real struggle to control the boat for fishing.

Knowing that when the tide started out the inlet conditions would be even worse I elected to head back in and reschedule the trip for another day. It was not worth taking the chance.

After cleaning up the boat I decided to see if I could duplicate yesterday. I went over to Cape May Point with my fly rod. Water was really bad and looked like liquid mud. I fished there and another spot for a total of 2 hours and never got a hit so I headed home.

There was a weekend crowd there fishing bait and all I saw caught was spiny dogfish and skates.

It was a tough day but you can't win them all. Some days you just have to pay your dues.

RM Will have to see about hooking up when time permits. Sounds like it would be fun. With charters season starting to pick up and with keeping super busy with my stock trading and other activities I seem to always be running full speed ahead and seem to add things to my to do list faster than I can check them off. Most of my personal trips are usually last minute spur of the monent decisions rather than plan ahead trips. That is the nice thing about living 5 minutes away from the marina. That is why my fly fishing buddies that live close by get to fish with me so much. I have 5 guys who can usually fish on short notice. Another reason why I do not plan in advance is that during the busy season I get a lot of calls for charters last minute, saying they are down or on vacation and can I do a trip today or tomorrow.

With all the nasty wind for the last week, it feels like forever since I have been able to get out in the boat. I was all excited about getting out this evening. We had new moon tide and they were calling for 9 mph winds.

Left the house tonight to go out in the boat and the wind looked a lot stronger than 9 mph so I headed down to the beach to check it out. It was southeast, but looked more like 15 mph making the area that I wanted to fish along the beach not very user friendly. With the extra high new moon tide the water would be covering the sod banks in the back so I decided not to fight mother nature and wait for better conditions.

Decided to head over to freshwater lake and play with bass and pickerel.

Weather was nice and the winds were suppose to be south west but ended up south but fairly light when Paul and I left the dock at 4:00 pm. We head out the inlet with the tide coming in and found the water 55 to 56 degrees and it was the first time fishing this year where it was nice and comfortable where all you needed was a sweat shirt.

We both fished sinking lines. Paul put on a small chartreuse/white clouser with an even smaller chartreuse teaser fly in front of it. I was teasing him a bit as I put on a larger chartreuse/white clouser. telling him he should think big.

First cast for Paul missed a sea herring but on the next cast he landed one. I had a few hits on my larger fly but no hook ups. As we worked along Paul kept catching the herring and we put some in the live well for him to take home to salt down for bait.

Finally I hooked into my first fish. It turned out to be a nice one. It was my first weakfish on the fly for the year. It was a nice 20 1/2 incher. It was a nice male as it was croaking while I un-hooked it. We took a few pictures and released it.

A short while later Paul hooked his first weakfish, a nice 17 1/2 incher which he also released.

Then I hooked into a really nice fish. I thought I had a nice striper on as it took me into my backing very fast, but with the different type head shake I knew it was a big weakie so I took my time, not wanting to put too much pressure on it and lose it. Got it to the net and just as Paul netted it the hook came out. It was a nice 26 incher Tide Runner Weakie. Again we took a few photos and released.

The whole time we fished the wind kept freshening up (it was suppose to die down) making it a little tougher maneuvering the boat. We got a few more sea herring and Paul caught the only striper of the day. this little 15 incher.

I ended with two more decent weakies which I also released and Paul caught this decent size bluefish that he kept for dinner.

Having a great trip and the wind picking up we decided to end the trip early and we were back at the dock by 6:30 pm and both made it home in time for dinner.
    Not a bad day of fishing after mother nature kept me dock side for number of days.

Banned

Ray nice to see you on the Weaks they are beautiful

Nice job with the weakfish. Good to see them.
    Ron Conner

fished cape may point this morning. caught 10 bunker. all but one was hooked in the mouth. water is clearing and the turns are picking up silversides. saw one small striper caught.

Yea, yesterday was great but today was even better.

Another spectacular day of weakfishing. It was the best that I have seen in 10 years.

Wanted to fish this afternoon again, but had service appointment for some one to work on the house and it was for sometime between 2:00 and 5:00 pm. so the afternoon was out. Looked at the weather and with light wind decided to just fish now or forget it.

Called Peter and we left the dock at 11:00 am (not the most prime time but sometimes you just have to fish when you can.)
    I nailed the first fish of the day. A nice bluefish which I kept for dinner tonight. Then Peter hooked the first of many weakfish on the day and as he was reeling it in I hooked up too. Life was good and it was already a great trip.

We fished till 1:00 pm sharp as I had to get back to the house by 2:00 pm. We worked our chartreuse/white clousers on sinking line and had a steady pick of fish the whole time. I got another nice blue that I also kept for dinner and only striper for the day which was a little dink along with a sea herring that I took home for salting down for bait.

It was just one of those days you dream and live for. Calm seas, light wind and warm sunshine highlighted with biting fish.

We caught 20 weakfish. The largest was 24 inches and the smallest was 20 inches. We released them all and missed a number that shook loose during the fight and headed back to the dock with big smiles and feeling good. Life is Good!

Also we saw one huge pod of bunker go by us and then two big but smaller pods. That was the first decent bait that I have seen this year. Not a thing working or pushing on it. If there were any major bass around they would of been working on it. I Remember days in the past where bass would just be blowing through it and chasing it all over.

Don't know what the fish are feeding on as the blues and the herring that I cleaned had empty stomachs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in