TFO Lefty Kreh Signature II 9'9wt - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TFO Lefty Kreh Signature II 9'9wt

The part of me that isn't sure if your messing around knows what you mean. I often make beautiful back casts before a bad forward cast. I make great false casts too!
    Last edited by Allejo; 05-17-2013 at 08:06 PM.
    You can't really be a fisherman and a pessimist.
    I don't want to have a nice day. I want to catch big fish.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Allejo View Post
    The part of me that isn't sure if your messing with knows what you mean. I often make beautiful back casts before a bad forward cast. I make great false casts too!
    Seriously not messing with you. There are times the forward cast I can do with out and wish a back cast was the forward too. I can't explain it but I had a guy in cape cod years ago had me try it. Worked like a charm. I have and do still use a back cast as my final bend before I drop the fly. Works great chasing albies from a boat when just that fish ring shows, like a trout rise,and you have to change your initial thought of where that fly needs to land fast.

This style of casting also helps with a climbing sand behind you. It's easier than trying a climbing back cast on each false cast. If your in a pocket of area that's a low tide with sand behind you on a hill climbing and you find the fly hits, turn around and give it a shot. It's easier to visualize the cast climbing if your facing it.

CAH

If you are going to be using this rod in the surf maybe try to find a deal on a heavier rod. For a long time I have used lighter rods and line believing I would feel the fish much more. Recently I was in the Keys and we got on a nice bunch 2-4 lb jacks. I was using an 11 weight anticipating some monster jacks but they were not around. We also had a little 7wt BVK rod rigged up so I tried a few on that. I was shocked at how the fish really felt the same on both rods even though the rods were so different. There was only a light breeze but the advantage of the 11wt was quickly felt during casting.Allejo, the last thing you want is to make that drive from SC PA to IBSP to see fish blitzing 15-20' past your range. This happened to me last year while I was armed with a stiff 8wt that's more like a 9. I believe I would have gotten fish that day with a 10-11wt.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the tip. I intend on getting a heavier rod as well. I'm pretty much an 100% C&R guy so I'm thinking maybe a heavier rod would also get fish in quicker and released in better shape.
    You can't really be a fisherman and a pessimist.
    I don't want to have a nice day. I want to catch big fish.

If you are having problems with your forward cast, and your back cast is good, you are doing something different on your forward cast. The backcast and forward casts, should be mirror images. Two common mistakes made: are to try to power the forward cast, and stopping the rod too far forward. Although some casting instructors will tell you to forget the clock, the clock will teach you where to stop your rod. The narrower the casting angle, the tighter your loop will be. I recommend eleven o'clock and one o'clock. If you keep your elbow fairly close to your side (you should), your arm locks up (stops) at about one o'clock on the backcast, but on the forward cast your anatomy does not do your stop for you. The difficulty, is teaching yourself to stop the rod at eleven o'clock on the forward cast. Only deticated practace will cure casting problems.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in