Fishing Reports April 1 - April 30
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Reports April 1 - April 30

Default Fishing Reports April 1 - April 30

Hopefully none of you fell victim to many April Fools episodes. Also hope you get a break on the weather. I have been 0 for 3 on hook-ups on tarpon & the winds have not allowed much fishing in the last week or so. Also lobster season quietly, for me, ended on Monday. Looking forward to reading some good reports from up there.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Having a hard time with the tarpon lately.Only high point was a legal size grouper Tuesday. Legal size but still not legal until May 1. Was nice to see one though. Bert caught it while we were fishing for trout.

Went 0 for 3 this dark A.M. with only one looker. Been trying a floating shrimp that I've been working on. Not sure if it is wrong or I am fishing it wrong.

Ron Conner

Ron, it sure looks like it should work. You just have to put it in front of a hungry fish. Can't see why any fish wouldn't chomp it down.

Was hoping to wet a line last week.

Just go back from a weeks cruise out of NY to the Bahamas. Took a fly rod and was hoping to get some chance to fish some where. At Canaveral my brother met me at the ship and I tried to get in some fishing on his boat, but it was windy and raining pretty good just as we were leaving the dock to try. Since I was traveling with two other couples I only had a small window of opportunity and could not wait the rain out. It rained almost all day.

Thought I might get a second shot at the cruise lines private island, somewhere on the backside while everyone else was hitting the swiming beach, but we had high winds, big seas and tenders couldn't safely come up next to the boat to get us ashore so we had to push on to Nassau. Again with my wife and I going with two other couples, I couldn't get any fishing in. Did see a ton of fish along the docks by the ships but they would not let me fish there. Spent a fun day on the beach and around town. Would of been tough to fish anyway even if I could find a small boat guide. It was sunny and warm but very windy. Will have to fly down and hit smaller islands with flats some other time.

Did have a great time and while the ship was moving and did see some great weed lines with tons of flying fish and some Mahi just to tease me. Hope to get my boat in the water by the end of the week.
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 04-15-2014 at 10:44 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Hey All, been lurking , hope everyone is well.

Ron, here is a floating shrimp idea I got from another sight, very similar but thought it might give you some ideas.

O

Looks interesting. Thanks for sharing.
    Ron Conner

Had a little different day yesterday. All the windy days finally got to us & a local friend & I got "off the rock" & spent a day fishing the smallish canal that runs along the Tamieami Trail. We fished the narrow mostly fresh water section. Water was less than 15ft across some trees & lily pads with light stream side vegetation. You parked along the road fished 30 - 50 yds in each direction & then drove further & did it again. Delightful way to spends a few hours. Water was mostly clear, maybe 2 ft deep & FULL of fish. Largemouth & peacock bass, several kinds of like sunfish (on steroids), gar fish, & plenty of alligators, some snapping turtles & no snakes seen. The fish were smallish but a blast. Small poppers, mostly attracted alligators, & small 4 & 6 tied dace style with subdued colors.

Pic of a peacock bass. Several were caught & in some areas they well on beds.

One of the many colorful bream. These guys were full of fight.

One of the several large mouth bass that were everywhere & very frisky.

One of the small gators in the area. We did see them up to 8 ft but this little guy was quite active.

I was using a 6wt, John had a 7. Lots of roll casting & you had to be careful of your back cast. Didn't want to snag a Buick. All in all a fun day. You saw the fish or fishes & watched them react to the fly.
    Last edited by sparse grey; 04-15-2014 at 05:35 PM.
    Ron Conner

me thinks the 'bream' is an Oscar. they have become very readily available to catch in fla. supposedly they are good to eat.

That's it oscar. Thanks. Strong, pretty & plentiful & yes they are readily eaten.
    Ron Conner

My uncle bought a tiny oscar for his fish tank when I was a kid. Thing was vicious. No other fish lasted more than a few days before the oscar made it a meal. It grew huge verry fast. He finally had to donate it to a fish store because it got too big and too mean.

cant imagine the tug those give on a fly rod. Nice catch!
    Steve

“Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.”
    –Henry David Thoreau

Ron:

Is tamiami trail near Punta Gorda? I know there is a tamiami trail drive there.

Runs basically from Naples to Miami. Rt. 41. 100 miles + or -. West to EAST-brackish to fresh. Easy to find & a delightful drive. Try & stay away from week-ends. Let me know if you are going to be there.
    Ron Conner

Out this past weekend Sat and Sun. High tides around midday, thought maybe I'd have a shut. Not a tap. Fished a few of my trusty drop offs that usually produce for me. Was on foot in the sods, so didn't cover a ton of ground. Fishing a 30' sink tip and using clousers and jiggys in almost every color.

I had temp readings down into the mid forties at some areas. My guess would be the next time we get a few days of warm, warm weather, that could trigger some good fishing.

Was great to get out though.
    Steve

“Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.”
    –Henry David Thoreau

Will launch tomorrow as the water is finally getting warm enough to catch on a fly. It seems like it has been forever in getting nice. Hope to fish Thursday and Friday.

Late this afternoon hit a local lake and saw decent signs of life. Minnows, sunfish, turtles and picked up two pickerel and a couple of small largemouth bass on a small who fly that I tied when Brad Buzzi was tying at South Jersey Coastal Fly Anglers tying day.

Fun couple of hours but I feel the need for a decent fish on the fly. Can't wait for the first striper.

Too windy to launch today. Just did not feel like fighting it. It was blowing 25 to 30 all day long. Did got to marina and set up lines etc. I was just plain nasty. With all the cold water and nasty wind that we have had this spring, there is hardly any boats in yet where normally everyone is pushing to get in the water. Will go in tomorrow come hell or high water and hope we see some fishable weather soon.

Launched yesterday in the heavy winds and left the dock at 6;30AM this morning with two person fly charter and perfect conditions. There was zero wind, and no seas. Went to the inlet to work the rocks and beachfront and found really nice clean water with the tide going out. Water temp was very cold. 48.6 degrees. We worked it hard for 3 hours with out a single hit using sinking line and clousers. Did see the first dolphins of the season around the inlet.

Moved to the back bay with tide out pretty good and could only fine 50.8 degree water. Worked some good locations for about 1 1/2 and no strikes.

Just going to have to wait for things to warm up. Due to poor fishing and weather cancel tomorrows charter.

Can't remember going this late in April and not seeing any fish. Never saw another boat fishing the whole time we were out. With this cold weather most of the marinas look empty as guys must be putting in late.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in