What about the Power Plant?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What about the Power Plant?

In the spring I got my first shot at a striper on the flyrod because of the warm water. What about the early winter, or is this where REN and Sparse secretly catch fish all winter not letting us in on whats happening?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Thumbs down

Ray, That place stinks. Dont believe the hype!

Administrator

Exclamation

Ray,
    It's overrated.
    I'd rather try around those long piles of rocks down your way.

REN

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

UH I think I remember hearing someone catch something there sometime, but I'm not sure.

Ray, When there is a discharge, & there is not always one. There does seem to be life in the area. Be careful with the turtles & you won't forget the first time it is turned on after you have been there for awhile. I haven't been there in a couple of years, but it used to be easy to fish by land. Rocks in your area still sound good. Ron
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

I am just looking for some hope. Talked to Dave about some possible trout fishing this winter. Never tried for trout with a fly rod. I am alway up for a new experience. Just thought maybe I was missing out on something good. Hope to see you guys at the fest.

Ray if you are gonna give trout a try Steelhead fishing in Pulaski (Salmon river) can be really good. And you don't have the fall crowds to deal with.

If cabin fever get's real bad a trip up to Pulaski will be my gameplan.

RIP EMMA - 3/8/2003 - 5/27/2016

Count me in on a trip to Pulaski. The steelhead there are supposed to be awesome.
    23' Hydra-Sports 230 CC

Cool

Tried to get up there last winter but it got too nasty too soon. Pulaski, NY is "only" a 7 hour ride from south jersey, not too bad if you're doing a weekend thing. I've never caught a confirmed steelhead (may have gotten one in NJ, not sure), but I'd love to. Getting fat 15lb rainbows on a 6wt with 4lb test tippet in rocky rapids will compete with saltwater any day! Winter coldwater fishing is fun because the crowds thin out and, on the warmer days, the fish are still biting like they do in the spring.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it...
    I am haunted by waters" -Norman Maclean

"Bill, strange things are afoot at the Circle-K" - Ted "Theodore" Logan

The more you learn, the less you really know...
    think about that

Ecclesiastes 10:2
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
    but the heart of the fool to the left.

Thumbs up

Guys, the Salmon River is awesome. I didn't fish with a flyrod but I did drift fresh salmon eggs with a spinning rod and had a blast. These fish are BIG and strong and plenty of fun on light gear.

One of my fishing partners fishes a flyrod exclusively and catches consistently. We also fish for huge brown trout near the power plant, using large spoons.

If you get the chance, go up there and check it out.
    99% Catch & Release/Charter Member-SJCFA/RFA Member/Bass Barn MEMBER #58

Good things come...to those who wade!

Sounds like there is life. Freshwater is all new with flyrod but it sounds exciting. Cold but exciting.

Fly Ty R stopped by on saturday. We tied some flies and he showed me some of the freshwater trout flies. I think I will stick to tying saltwater flies that fresh water stuff is way too small. They might be good for catching minnows one at a time.

I will try some fresh water trout fishing this winter, but think I will be buying my flies rather than tying.

Looks like trout are the only show in town. I go down to the beach almost everyday to see if anyone is catching. There have been quite a few guys hitting the surf everyday, but I haven't seen or heard of a single fish being caught so that is as slow as it gets and it has been warm and calm.

Ray I launced Sat & took a ride. Very enjoyable but no sing of life. Did feel good to get on the water. Grandaughter came along. BTW Someone mentioned the power plant being out of service. Anyone know anything about this? Ron

[ 01-05-2004, 03:01 AM: Message edited by: sparse grey ]
    Ron Conner

Cool

BL England had some sort of oil leak or something a few weeks ago. Several hundred gallons leaked out into the bay. Good thing it happened this time of year instead of in the early spring! I think they closed the plant to fix the problem. It should be operational again soon.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it...
    I am haunted by waters" -Norman Maclean

"Bill, strange things are afoot at the Circle-K" - Ted "Theodore" Logan

The more you learn, the less you really know...
    think about that

Ecclesiastes 10:2
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
    but the heart of the fool to the left.

Sparse I am sure it felt good to get out. It was like a spring day. I took my boat to get a tune up and check the fuel pump. The place my buddy will be taking it, is Little Torch Key. There is another guy from Cape May that knows the area pretty good. We just got a C-map chip for my chart plotter so naviagation should be easy. I hope to get down for a few days in Feb. and stop in Palm Bay and fish and visit my brother. I did see a couple of posts on striper thread about Bauers Pond. I am sure I will have to check it out before spring to keep sanity.

Bauers Pond Proud sponser on the Bass Barn. Little torch is fairley close to us. When are you going? Ron
    Ron Conner

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in