Fly Types ...and WHY! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fly Types ...and WHY!

Frank You have a spot on my boat anytime. Mending is not for fresh water only. Ron
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Originally posted by Frank Mihalic:
    Good topic to keep going...
    Mending....I can't seem to learn this from a book. I need to fish with someone who can share this with me. I know what it is, but just am not sure where it applies in SWFF. Lil help?
    Its used a lot when dealing with waves and currents and IS NOT easy....although I never had anyone actually show me.

Originally posted by sparse grey:
    Frank You have a spot on my boat anytime. Mending is not for fresh water only. Ron
    Thank You, my freind!
    How do you like the CFM?
    Do what it takes to catch fish!

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Frank As always, your flies look good. Can think of a few times when I would have used something like that, but not many. as always, thanks for sharing. Ron
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

Flys are funny like that....If I had one for everything, I would carry so many fly boxes!
    Really though, I like this fly when the water is windblown a bit, and you want to leave a wake.
    A surface slider is too sedate for that type of water, but I preferr it in glassy calm..

This year I plan to experiment with different size heads vs different sized hooks....we will see.

Wink

Frank,

What keeps alot of guys from mending is the fact that they use a sinking line. Can't mend it. I believe intermediate, sink tip and shooting head lines are way overated. How many guys do you know that cast plugs and catch big bass. Those plugs swim up high in the water column or on the surface. A floating line, good mending skills and presentations other than hand over hand will put a smile on your face and a large bass on the end of your line. If you are serious about fishing sometime I would be pleased to throw some loops with you (and share what I know about floating lines, mending and flatwings).

Regards,
    Flatwing

Making changes in flies is what makes life interesting. Just like every rod and reel manufacutrer makes little differences in their products, it is fun to take a fly that works and change the color, pattern, or weight, have fun making it and then see how it works. If you aren't catching fish, stick to the flys as they were designed with proven colors, until you get your confidence up enought to play around.

It also depends on your style of fishing. I do most of my fishing from a boat, where distance is not my main concern. I fish water fairly deep with pretty strong current and like flys that are much heavier than most fly fishermen would consider standard. There are specific times and places that these altered flies seem to work. Other locations and conditions I am quite happy to use standard proven patterns and find they work perfectly well, after all, all the trial and error has been field tested out of them by those who have gone before, so if you change things, be careful not to destroy it. I say have some fun and see what works for you. It only matters what the fish think of your presentation and if they like it you have done a good job.

Cool

Flatwing,
    Mending intermediate and sinking lines isn't impossible because I do it all the time. It's very tough, moreso with the sinker, and not for beginners, but it's possible and takes practice. I mend full sinking lines all the time to get very deep (over 20'). I don't mend the whole line (now THAT'S impossible [img]smile.gif[/img] ), but I can mend enough of the running line to keep the drift drag free when on shore or in a stationary boat. Same with an intermediate.

Technically, every line out there today is overrated. All we really need is some heavy silk gut to throw the fly, but who uses that anymore?? Intermediates and sinkers have their places, just like floaters.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it...
    I am haunted by waters" -Norman Maclean

"Bill, strange things are afoot at the Circle-K" - Ted "Theodore" Logan

The more you learn, the less you really know...
    think about that

Ecclesiastes 10:2
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
    but the heart of the fool to the left.

I agree with Fly Ty R, you can mend the various sinking lines. I use a sink tip fairly often when I fish the local streams here in SE PA. I'll start out with a floating line, but once I start fishing with minnow patterns, or crease flies then I'll usually switch over to the sink tip. Part of the reason is none of my minnow patterns are weighted other than the weight of the hook and the epoxy if I've used in on the fly. The fact I'm fishing in current requires that I mend the line if I want a decent drift before I start retrieving.
    I won't dispute the fact that you catch fish with flies or lures on the surface or just under it, but I've dredged up a lot of fish by starting my retrieve much lower in the water column whether it be in 5 feet or 25 feet and retrieving the fly up through the column. You can also vary the depth of your retrieve by the speed of your retrieve, even with a depth charge sinking line. I'm certainly able to get retrieves in both fresh and saltwater that are only a foot or two under the surface using a depth charge sinking line, if I want to.

Flatwing:
    Corsair and E-Body tube patterns are what my British friends call "lures". It would depend on a number of things, any weight or rattles added, how much epoxy used etc. With a light wire hook and little epoxy you might have something close to a neutral balance fly that will sink very slowly or even suspend in current.
    Siliskin, the way the "gummy minnow" is tied it sinks so I guess it would be a wet fly/streamer. Now I tie mine a bit different, so mine will either float or sink, depending on how it's tied. One up on the boys from Virginia.

Saltwater Flyfishing is so new that everyone has an opinion on what is "the right" thing to do. I have heard Bob Pop talk about mending in the surf with floaters and intermediates. He explained the many uses and I have tried mending quite a bit when I practice. Its real tough fro me...im still a major beginner. Obviously you arnt going to use a sinking line in the surf too many times. Maybe from Jetties or banks with deep water a bit more. Some people think putting a fly line down 20' and drifting isnt fly fishing, some people think any fly with synthetics isnt a fly, I have seen debates on trolling flies, lobbing flies to pelagics, and even putting bait and scents on flies. I have only been getting into flyfishing about a year and a half but have read every Fly Fishing in SW and SW Flyfishing magazine since like 99'. So much stupid crap! My freind ties mediocre to plain nasty flies, cast like crap, and has caught so many bass and blues on a fly rod that I scratch my head at times. The technicalities plain annoy me at times.

In days gone by, you were not flyfishing unless you were fishing upstream with a floating fly. I have to agree with Hip, the technicalities are a pain and I tend to ignore most of them. I'm sure that the "experts" of the day frowned upon the first fisherman who tried an artificial lure instead of using bait. I find that mending line in an inlet or estuary that has signficant current, is very similar to mending line on a favorite trout stream. Mending line in the surf is a bit tricky, but definitely can be done effectively. I have not tried mending with a sinking line. I don't think you could be as effective trying to mend the sinker, but it would improve your drift or help get the fly deeper. I may give it a try if we get some decent weather weekends. Herring are loads of fun on the fly.

I don't think that a saltwater fly fisherman could ever, ever be considered a purist BY ANY stretch of the imagination! Our reels could stop a tank. Our rods are light, powerfull and strong. Our flys, gear, boats...oh well, you all get the picture.

HIP: Sinking lines have their place in the surf! I cast a T-350 on the back beaches of CC as my standard line. It can be false cast with my 10wt and man, will it ever go!
    They may not apply much here, but they sure do apply!

FW; I most certainly am serious! This past spring and summer I bacame a top water NUT and used a floater many times. I would apreciate some time when you could show me the mend technique.

It is the wide variety in fly fishing that makes it so exciting. With all the weights of rods and reels, types of lines, types of flies you have many options. Like humans fish eat a variety or foods. When fish are feeding almost any type of prsentation will do making it easy to choose a fly, rod weight and line that give you the excitement that you want. At times when they are not actively feeding you have to try and be more sensitive to what they are feeding on, where they might be and how to get you fly where they will see it.

This is where the variety of different flies comes in. I personally like to learn from others how they make flys that work for them and how they present them.

Like all fishing. There is always something new to learn. When I was younger I had my favorite methods, lures etc. With fly fishing I have my favorite rods and flies. I know what works for me now, but who knows, I may find a new fly or way of working a fly that will become my new favorite. Don't be afraid to try all the estabished patterns and methods and don't be afraid to experiment. Decide for yourself what you get out of the fishing, and what gets you excited and always keep an open mind.

I have had a number of people that only freshwater trout fished, out this summer. They seem to adapt to the heavier weight rods, our heavier lines and flies, and they really get excited about our larger saltwater fish. Never had one complain that it was not real fly fishing, especialy with the size of the fish. It is just alittle different.

Hip, how can you go out in your boat without a fly rod? You got to pack that in first. It really isnt real fly fishing when you are using a spin rod.

I went on many, many trips this year when I did not bring any other tackle other than fly.
    When conditions deteriorate, you either evolve into a better caster, or you stay home more than you go fishing.
    After all,
    It's the only way to....FLY!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in