How many Bass did you catch on the fly this year??? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many Bass did you catch on the fly this year???

Originally posted by pj_jumper:
    I started to write that it was not a great season but then started thinking and it really wasnt bad, I just cant fish as much as I used to. I fished more this year with only a fly rod on board and that was both fun and frustrating. I spent hours in a pond at Block Island with hundreds of 30 inch bass ignoring a large assortment of flys. I had a day of 34 to 37 inch bass blitzing in front, out back, and every where I went, I think it was 6 that day with 4 big blues the largest 15lb. An hour or two with Fat Albert literaly leaping out of the water around me, one short hook up and massive buck feaver for me. There were not many skunks, at least a few sub slots most trips, as always to many people in my spots and to much wind. PJ
    Sounds like you had a blast on Block Island. Last year I did Montauk and The Keys. This year me and the girly are going to Cutty Hunk and MV in July....Block Island Oct/Nov.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Looks like everyone had a decent shot at fish this year. It all depends on how many times you got to fish. If you only get a few chances with the fly rod a couple of nice fish make for a great season. If you get lots of chances your expectations get higher, you long for bigger nastier fish. Overall we all wanted to do better, that is the nature of fishing. We are all hoping the next cast will produce the once in a lifetime catch.

Sitting here on this cold night we can all stop and wish we had another shot to get one. I remember nights that started off hot and when the action slowed, I said that's enought, and nights that where just slow and said, I will head home. Right now I wish the water was warm and I could be out there on even on a slow night with a slim chance. It is funny how we can appreciate one of those nights now, more than we did then. It is much better than a cold unfishable night with no chances.
    We are all starting with a clean slate, and we all have great anticipation for the 2004 season. Hopefully we all get more opportunities to fish and get our fair share of lunkers.

Ray Have to admit that was well stated. Wanted to add to my first post. John & I had many enjoyable nights, some of the better ones might not have involved catching bass, although that is a definite plus. Also forgot to mention the night my grandaughter went, cast to, hooked, & landed her first striped bass by herself. Think we will remember that evening for awhile. Spring is coming!!! Ron
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Sparce, you are right. The excitement of seeing someone catch their first bass or their first fish and experience the thrill of fishing, there is nothing like it. This year I will make sure I take a digital cammera, so I can save more of these memories. Besides catching, just being there is great. I have seen more beautiful sun rises and sunsets and it just adds to the experience especially when I am guiding others and not wetting a line.

Talking

My biggest bass last year was 41" but thin around 31 lb. caught around 20-30 avg. 30" alot on small silicone bunker fly and also homemade eel imitation.

0 fish 0 times out. I made alot of birdies on the golf course.

Fish Freak, You mean there are no water hazards at any of the golf courses. You could put a nice three piece outfit in the bag. It might be the last time they let you play but what a story on the 19th hole.

Cool

There can be some big whopper bass in those golf course ponds. With all the fertilizer they put into the water, most of them have 3 eyes too, all the better to see your fly with... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it...
    I am haunted by waters" -Norman Maclean

"Bill, strange things are afoot at the Circle-K" - Ted "Theodore" Logan

The more you learn, the less you really know...
    think about that

Ecclesiastes 10:2
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
    but the heart of the fool to the left.

Cool

[ 01-22-2004, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it...
    I am haunted by waters" -Norman Maclean

"Bill, strange things are afoot at the Circle-K" - Ted "Theodore" Logan

The more you learn, the less you really know...
    think about that

Ecclesiastes 10:2
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
    but the heart of the fool to the left.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in