How many Bass did you catch on the fly this year???
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many Bass did you catch on the fly this year???

Question

1? 2? 12? 100?

ME? None! I hardly brought the fly rod out this year. I caught some blues but thats it. I have been learning a lot this year. I will definitly have it with me at all times next year. It really hurt the numerous times I had bass at my feet and the fly rod was at home. I fished A LOT this fall and curse myself for not having the fly rod with me!

So how many bass did you catch on the fly??? How many times did you go??

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

And how big??? I saw a few teen-20lbs caught on the fly buy some great anglers. Any bigguns???

Biggest this year was 38" behind IBSP.

Did well up in Cape Cod with sandeel jiggy fleyes in June. Had lot's of #'s but nothing over say 32". Unfortunately, that's when north Jersey was goin' off. There is always this year [img]smile.gif[/img]

RIP EMMA - 3/8/2003 - 5/27/2016

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

One of the biggest pluses with catch & release is you can say as many as you want & as large as you want. As for John & I we had a few nights with multiple fish with some in the teens. My best fish was the redfish caught from the beach on Dalphin Island, Ala. My wife & I had 6 or 8 over a few days with the largest 23lbs. Take the fly rod with you ALWAYS. Ron
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

I had a decent Spring, Summer, and Fall....and caught just a few. The largest went 14lbs on the Boga. This was the first year ever that I caught Bass on artificials (fly) in late July and August.
    The most memorable was a small one caught in the raging surf at Nauset Light. Wind bulding from the SE and pushing a big swell made plugging tough, but I had plenty of big bass and blues on plugs before dawn that morning. Casting and catching a bass in huge white water like that was an accomplishment. Casting across my body as I would take 6 step while the wave receded, then step back to tighten the line...WOW!
    My first from the surf! And in conditions like that, it is a fond memory indeed.
    Do what it takes to catch fish!

SWEET guys! Next year will be my year...fingers crossed

Talking

My biggest fish of the year, hmmm. Bass about 34" on a R.L.S. Nine Three, Bluefish 35" on a R.L.S. Squidazzle (largest I ever caught on a fly). Both during the last week in May on MV in the surf at Metcalf's hole.

ANyone going to the Vineyard this year? I'm heading up around June 12 - 19. New moon and great tides!! Only six months to go!!!

Regards,
    Flatwing

I caught my more than my fair share of bass. Just checked may calendar and I was out fishing including charter trips 97 times this year. Personal best were two at 37 inches, then down the line. As far as small ones go there were many in the 16" to 22" that is the size that most of the fish I caught were. I enjoyed every minute of every fight, but the 28 inchers and above are the ones you really appreciate. There is nothing like the line zipping off the reel when there is alittle weight to the fish.

Two biggest were caught on silicone and popping flies with most on poppers, steroid jiggies and regular jiggies.

For me it was a great year and I was disappointed with the weather and the fishing in general late fall. It was good for catching bass but for fly fishing, the wind, water color and water temp made life difficult.

Administrator

Ray,
    It wasn't a "banner" year,
    but there was nothing wrong with it.
    Big weakfish.

REN

here's my tally for the year:

bass: six, with the biggest about 20"
    blues: ten, with the biggest about 18"
    shad: two, with the biggest about 15"
    perch" one, about 10"

all on the fly. i plugged a few times when conditions made it unflyable, but got nada. i did use bucktails in november off a boat, and got five bass, the biggest went 36".

I don't know how many bass that I caught on the flyrod, maybe a dozen or so. Tried to avoid the small blues but caught alot anyway. The flounder were cooperative but they were not as numerous as they were in 2002.

My biggest bass was a slot, caught on one of Doyle's pink and white clousers.

Overall it was a good year but I had more success using flies as a teaser while plugging. I caught a ton of schoolies using this method.

[ 01-06-2004, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: snichols ]
    99% Catch & Release/Charter Member-SJCFA/RFA Member/Bass Barn MEMBER #58

Good things come...to those who wade!

Cool

I'll use Doyle's tally system... [img]smile.gif[/img]

(All fly rod fish)
    Bass: 35, most under 20" though. One that broke me off in my super secret creek was probably near 20lb.
    Blues: Surprisingly, not many. Only a few bigger ones in the spring, then very few snappers.
    Fluke: Again, not as many as I'd have liked. Maybe 6 or 7, biggest about 20".
    Shad/Herring: Lots. And then some more...
    Perch: Two gigantor white perch. Almost like bass.
    Weakfish: 2. One big 31", one small 14"
    Rays: Caught none, but saw plenty.
    Trout (all species): Zillions, like normal [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Pickerel: Don't keep count.

Other random fish:

Stargazer: 1, about 12"
    Baby Atlantic Salmon: About 20, all 5".
    Adult Atlantic Salmon: Caught none, saw 2 about 15lb each

All my spin rod fish (either on spinnerbait or hopkins jig):
    Largemouth Bass: 2 or 3, I don't remember.
    Striper: 1, 29"
    Spiny Dogfish: 1, ~28"
    Bluefish: 3, ~15"
    Skate: 3, don't remember the size, but big
    Fluke: 2, ~18"

There are probably more fish that I can't remember without seeing my journal.

[ 01-06-2004, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it...
    I am haunted by waters" -Norman Maclean

"Bill, strange things are afoot at the Circle-K" - Ted "Theodore" Logan

The more you learn, the less you really know...
    think about that

Ecclesiastes 10:2
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
    but the heart of the fool to the left.

Question

Caught 17 With 6 in one day all 6 keepers the rest were little fish at the sod banks. Work was to busy this year. Things will change next year this year checked some new fisherman to fish with they checked out fair by next season they will be better just kidding JAY

Dave and Ren, I did get some weakies, I thought we were only talking bass. One big 6.66 lb one on jetty at the point with orange and white steroid jiggie and 5 or 6 up to 5.50 in the boat on the beach front around jetties with steroid jiggies and lots of spikes on small jiggies up until the water got in the 50's in July. The biggest weakies were on bloodworm and bobber up to 8.50 lb. They were spawning and would not hit a fly noway nohow. Back bay one spike early season and none rest of the time.

I started to write that it was not a great season but then started thinking and it really wasnt bad, I just cant fish as much as I used to. I fished more this year with only a fly rod on board and that was both fun and frustrating. I spent hours in a pond at Block Island with hundreds of 30 inch bass ignoring a large assortment of flys. I had a day of 34 to 37 inch bass blitzing in front, out back, and every where I went, I think it was 6 that day with 4 big blues the largest 15lb. An hour or two with Fat Albert literaly leaping out of the water around me, one short hook up and massive buck feaver for me. There were not many skunks, at least a few sub slots most trips, as always to many people in my spots and to much wind. PJ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in