The Fly Fishing Show ? what are you looking for?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Fly Fishing Show ? what are you looking for?

Have to say that I think I have all the ?hardware? I need for now. I usually end up spending a hundred or two on little things. I think I?ll be looking for tying materials, such as long saddles and bucktails in colors I don?t have. I always need hooks but when I get there I can?t remember what I need ? or if I write it down I can?t find the list. Last year I bought a ? Bugshirt?. Man is that a great thing! Two years ago I got 5 blanks from Clemens for $50. One was a Lami 8ft 15wt. Haven?t built that yet ? don?t want to have to buy a matching reel! I always enjoy watching tyers such as Jack Gartside tying his unique flies. Of course the best is taking in a seminar or two. Who?s going and when? What?s on your list? I?ll be at the booth Friday ?am. Might be back again on Sunday.

Dave D

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

I'll be there Sat am early. Not sure what I'm buying yet - probably tying stuff and maybe a charter trip or three [img]smile.gif[/img]

RIP EMMA - 3/8/2003 - 5/27/2016

Going to be looking for my usual tying material. I'm thinking of setting up an extremely inexpensive 10 wt outfit to leave at my inlaws so I will be looking for a deal on flyline. I may want to check out to see if someone will be displaying those new Pfluger Trion fly reels for that same outfit. I've seen them before at a fly shop but want to really pull it apart to see what makes it tick. So far it seems like a solid reel for the money.

I'll also be checking out the Albright fly rod line at their booth as I've heard good things about them.

And, like everyone else there I will be craming my body into the tiers isle to see what's new in flies.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

I'll be there at the booth on Saturday. Mostly tying stuff. Tungsten Powder, MOP Sili Skin, some of the transfer foil Steve F had at the last meeting. Any new materials that catch my eye, some hooks who knows what else. Hope to hit the daily number between now and then.

Cool

I was going to get a new 3wt fly rod, since my tried and true Three-Forks Cabelas rod broke while casting on my last trouting trip (chalk that up as rod casualty #6 for the 2003 season.... ). But, checking out the Cabelas website today, I saw they had an awesome sale on St Croix Legend Ultra's. I couldn't resist. They took off $100 for the sale, plus an extra $50 I had in Cabelas Points (gotta love that Cabelas Visa ), and free shipping, so I ended getting a brand spanking new Legend Ultra 2wt with a hard case for, get this, $110. That's only a little more than I paid for the Three-Forks outfit about 5 years ago. I checked eBay, and they didn't even have that rod for that price. Now I'm happy . Plus it's got an unconditional lifetime warrantee, which I think I'm entitled to..... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Other stuff I absolutely NEED from the show: Estaz, fleece, Grade #1 saddles, necks, marabou, and good quality bucktail (probably from Kenney Abrahms booth, if he's there again). And other general fly tying materials. I just like milling around, talking to everyone who's anyone in fly fishing. I don't know which seminars I'm going to yet. The Shorecatch one is a given, but I'm not sure about the others. I'll be there on Saturday with family, and manning the booth on Sunday.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it...
    I am haunted by waters" -Norman Maclean

"Bill, strange things are afoot at the Circle-K" - Ted "Theodore" Logan

The more you learn, the less you really know...
    think about that

Ecclesiastes 10:2
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
    but the heart of the fool to the left.

I will be looking for a jungle cock cape...and the other stuff that I "need" ... It will be a GREAT time!
    Do what it takes to catch fish!

I don't know what I will end up with. It is like being a kid in a candy store. It all looks good. I will take my time and look around and get ideas. will probably be mostly stuff to tie flys with.

Dave good to hear you got a new rod. I bought my 2004 freshwater license yesterday with trout stamp so I am legal again and getting itchy.

I've never been to a fly fishing show before, and I need tying materials, so I'll probably wind up with a lot of stuff. Mostly I'll be there looking for a deal on a 9wt floating line and one of those lines with the interchangeable tips of different densities in an 8wt. But I'm sure that I'll wind up with a bunch of assorted tying materials too. I'm thinking about some bucktail and hackles in colors that I don't already have, plasti-dip, angel hair and kinky fiber for blending, rattles, and anything else I can find a good deal on.
    23' Hydra-Sports 230 CC

Originally posted by Sea Monkey:
    I've never been to a fly fishing show before, and I need tying materials, so I'll probably wind up with a lot of stuff. Mostly I'll be there looking for a deal on a 9wt floating line and one of those lines with the interchangeable tips of different densities in an 8wt. But I'm sure that I'll wind up with a bunch of assorted tying materials too. I'm thinking about some bucktail and hackles in colors that I don't already have, plasti-dip, angel hair and kinky fiber for blending, rattles, and anything else I can find a good deal on.
    Just a word of caution seeing how you havent done a show before this show is huge and everybody is a salesman. bring a notepad with a list of what you want check out the entire show 2 or 3 times before buying anything (unless it is unpassable) then when you are done take a slow cruise through everything once again and buy what you want/need. just telling you because my first show i went all three days blew 1000$ the first day right off the bat about 100 the second day and by the third day when the best deals are i had no loot and still needed alot of stuff. so good luck and see ya there
    Rory
    Sometimes when you listen real hard you can hear the fish laughing at you!!

Cool

Paul,
    Take Rory's advice!!! This show ain't for greenhorns.... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Seriously, bring a list of everything you think you'll need, and try to stick to it. Or else you'll be spending your life savings on new doo-dads that, in reality, you won't ever be using. Or maybe you will be using them, I don't know [img]smile.gif[/img] . It's like being a kid who's been starved of sugar in a candy factory on free sample day (a candy store is just too low key, IMO ;P ). You'll see more stuff there than you can possibly imagine. That's why most people go for more than one day. The free seminars are also a big component that you shouldn't miss out on. You can learn a lot, and most of them are fun, too. Plus you can get the chance to talk one-on-one to the celebrities at the end, if they have time.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it...
    I am haunted by waters" -Norman Maclean

"Bill, strange things are afoot at the Circle-K" - Ted "Theodore" Logan

The more you learn, the less you really know...
    think about that

Ecclesiastes 10:2
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
    but the heart of the fool to the left.

Beside Hardware "deals" I will be looking for hard to find materials, quality materials, ect. If I can get it in the tackle shops I frequent I dont spend the money on it..unless its a really cheap price. The show is AMAZING!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in