+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teeny night line

Question

Any know anything about this line

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Isn't that the one that glows in the dark? When I bought my first fly setup I talked to a lot of people about what to buy. Most of the people I spoke to told me that this line was the only way to go if I were going to be fishing a lot at night. It seems to me like seeing the line at night would help me to cast and control the line in the dark. I decided not to buy it because I think it'd look funny to the fish and spook them. But I guess if you use a longer leader it'd be ok???

It's a cool idea, but I'm undecided if it?s a gimmick or really useful.
    23' Hydra-Sports 230 CC

Cool

As far as I know, there are two glow lines out right now. One is made by Teeny, and some other company makes the other one. Maybe Airflo? I do remember that one is much better than the other. If Airflo does make the other brand, then I'd say go with Airflo. But if it's Teeny and someone other than Airflo, go with Teeny. One line casts much better than the other. They aren't made the same way.

I've heard both sides of the arguement about the glow spooking the fish. Some say it resembles "fire on the water", the glowing of jellyfish and/or dinoflagellates when you retrieve the line and fly through the water. This spooks the fish, so they say. Then other people, like Bob Pop who actually uses it, say that the line doesn't spook the fish at all, and really helps you with night casting and mending. I haven't used it, but I've seen it used (pretty cool light show [img]smile.gif[/img] ), and I really don't know what to think. I think it may spook some wary fish surface feeding sometimes, like weakies, but other times it may have no effect. I've seen no conclusive side-by-side comparisons.

I say, if you've got the money to spend, get the line and try it for yourself. In the very least you'll have a new fly line. You don't have to charge it up, either. It works very well as a standard all-around line.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it...
    I am haunted by waters" -Norman Maclean

"Bill, strange things are afoot at the Circle-K" - Ted "Theodore" Logan

The more you learn, the less you really know...
    think about that

Ecclesiastes 10:2
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
    but the heart of the fool to the left.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

I spent some time testing the Teeny night lines last season in 8 thru 10 weights. They cast very smooth and supple as long as the water was in the 60's or warmer. The night glo feature caught fish just as well as any other line, but let me see the head swing in the current much easier. It really helped when I would pick up to make another cast. If the line had swung very far, the fly could come dangerously close [img]redface.gif[/img] !
    The TTS series was nice as well. A supple, clear 30' long head mated to a 70' floating running line. A very nice line that you will see more of this coming year.
    Do what it takes to catch fish!

I tried the Teeny glow in the dark line. I found it great. I especially liked it at night while jetty fishing. I could see it around the rocks and have a better idea where my fly was. Epecially where there was alot of current running along the rocks. It also worked well from the boat on those super dark nights when you couldn't see the deck of the boat. When Bob Popovic gave it a thumbs up it can't be bad, can it? I say try it, you will like it.

I tried a Teeny glow in the dark line this year and love it. It worked great at night off jetties. You could tell where your line was in relationship to the jetty especially when there was a good amount of tide running along it. I also found it good in the boat when it was real dark with no moon or other light in the back bay.
    Try it you will like it.

Question

I bought some from a fellow SJCFA member but have not had the chance to use it yet. I'll let you know my results later this year.

[ 01-19-2004, 08:12 AM: Message edited by: snichols ]
    99% Catch & Release/Charter Member-SJCFA/RFA Member/Bass Barn MEMBER #58

Good things come...to those who wade!

The TTS series was nice as well.
    What does TTS stand for?
    What if I die and the wife sells all my fishing and hunting equiptment for what I told her I paid for it????

I love the Teeny night line - I've used it for 2 seasons and I often use it as my daytime intermediate when I'm not using the airflo clear int. or the Teeny Lefty Kreh Line.

I bought the airflo this fall but haven't used it so I can't comment on it.

RIP EMMA - 3/8/2003 - 5/27/2016

Originally posted by bassvamp:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> The TTS series was nice as well.
    What does TTS stand for? </font>[/QUOTE]I'm not sure what the TTS stands for...But it performs very well in less than fridgid water temps.

and for the recod, Bob Pop was not using the Teeny night line. I beleive that he was using an AirFlo line.

Originally posted by Frank Mihalic:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by bassvamp:
    What does TTS stand for? </font>[/QUOTE]I'm not sure what the TTS stands for...But it performs very well in less than fridgid water temps.

and for the recod, Bob Pop was not using the Teeny night line. I beleive that he was using an AirFlo line.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Well than I guess my question should have been who makes the TTS series -Teeny or AirFlo?
    I only have one line right now (Teeny/Lefty 9F shooter-which seems to be a bit light for my rod ) and would like to hear some more opinions on other lines as I would like to check out some intermediates, sinkers or maybe the floaters with the sink tips. Who likes what? My first line was going to be the "night line" but I felt as many others do that the glowing line may spook the fish. I think I'm gonna have to give it a second thought now
    What if I die and the wife sells all my fishing and hunting equiptment for what I told her I paid for it????

Administrator

BV,
    I don't know anything about the TTS designation...who cares anyway...but I've used a few different lines. Here is my take.
    If your line seems a little light, try using a heavier line. In other words, if your rod is an 8wt.-try a line rated 9wt. Line up.
    Always have a good floating line.
    I use the same floater you do - works goods.
    I like the intermediate lines with a clear sink tip. This summer the clear tip seperated with the flyline and I got somekinda teeny intermediate, and it casts fine. I'm looking too replace it before next season though.
    A sinker is nice to have, I think mines only 300 grains, not sure. Could go without it.
    Do not waste your time with the sink tips that connect to a floating line.

REN

Originally posted by bassvamp:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Frank Mihalic:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by bassvamp:

</font>[/QUOTE]Well than I guess my question should have been who makes the TTS series -Teeny or AirFlo?
    I only have one line right now (Teeny/Lefty 9F shooter-which seems to be a bit light for my rod ) and would like to hear some more opinions on other lines as I would like to check out some intermediates, sinkers or maybe the floaters with the sink tips. Who likes what? My first line was going to be the "night line" but I felt as many others do that the glowing line may spook the fish. I think I'm gonna have to give it a second thought now
    </font>[/QUOTE]Whoops! A TTS is a Teeny line.
    Perhaps yopu should try a few different size lines to see which will load your rod correctly?

My rod is a 9' Loomis 9wt but I think its closer to a 10wt. With a clouser on it I can shoot nearly the whole line but I seem to have a hard time with larger more air resistant flies like poppers and bulky decievers and the like. On the average I tend to fish water about 10-15 deep and with a 8-10'leader I figured the fly would get in the zone on its own w/o the help of an intermediate line, so I figured that a floater was the best line to have if I was to have just one. What do you guys feel is more appropiate for fishing faster backwater, or the surf? Anybody like anything else besides Teeny, AirFlo? How about Rio? Sci Anglers?

Cool

A 9wt Loomis is probably a fast action rod, and if you don't have a good timing, you'll feel more comfortable casting with a heavier line size, like a 10 or even an 11.

For what it's worth, I'd rather have an intermediate than a floater any day. You'd be surprised in the difference.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it...
    I am haunted by waters" -Norman Maclean

"Bill, strange things are afoot at the Circle-K" - Ted "Theodore" Logan

The more you learn, the less you really know...
    think about that

Ecclesiastes 10:2
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
    but the heart of the fool to the left.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in