Shooting head question
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shooting head question

Banned

On the telly last night I watched a show on fly fishing for bluefish and the guide had a 9',9wt. rod setup with a sinking shooting head and he said that it was the hot setup for beach fishing or for windy conditions. What he didn't say was what size shootin head ,I.E. what size for what weight fly line and how to finish up yhe whole rig. Would I be correct in assuming that the shooting head attaches to you flyline, and at the other end you would use a suitable leader of mono then attach your wire leader to that ,then attach your fly to that? Are shooting heads sized the same as the flyline? Would this whole setup change your casting timing and method? Thanks in advance from a semi-newbie fly chucker.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Capt No. A shooting head is the flyline, #rd to suit your rod, leader at one end, running line at the other. We tried these many years ago, cast like a rocket (my first over 100ft cast, which even I didn't believe.) We all left them at home after a bit, because none of the running lines we tried "felt good". I'm sure some of the guys use them & hopefully like them. Good luck with whatever you decide. Ron
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

I use shooting heads almost exclusivly what it is basically you have your backing and 100 feet of even diameter thin running line and you can get interchangeable heads from airflo they make 35 foot heads. fast sink medium sink clear intermediate and floating they change in a flash not as quick as spare spools but fast they cast great added mega distance to my cast anyway. it is something that you have to get used to though. if you are nearby point pleasant beach you can cast mine any time you want.. it is great it cuts the times you have to back cast in half..

Rory
    Sometimes when you listen real hard you can hear the fish laughing at you!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Sounds like Capt Buck was also watching Vacations on the Fly on PBS. The hosts of the show were the guests of Shore Catch Guide Service.

Think of a shooting head system as a flyline that has detatchable and interchangable heads.
    To me, a "full line" has an integrated head.
    My AirFlo on my 10wt shooting head has a floater, intermediate, and a sinking head.
    Do what it takes to catch fish!

dont forget Frank that they have 2 densities of sink heads slow and fast...

Rory

Very True, Rory!
    I made a LC 13 head as well...
    Thats the beuty of a shooting head system... You can make differnt lenths and differnt weights to fish different depths of water.
    Do what it takes to catch fish!

Bayside Village/ Cape May Port The Bay is My BackYard

Question

Rowdy,
    you only use 100 FT of running line ,do you use a mono running line,if so what # test and what kind?thanks,Vinny
    Vinny
    Hooked Up 2
    Cape May N.J
    Web Site:
    1st place Heaviest Mako SJ shark tourney 2012
    (CREW MEMBER)

yes 100 feet of running line plus 35 foot shooting head on top of as much white 50 lb powerpro i can fit under it all for backing...

i would never suggest mono running line too much memory air flo makes a so so running line but it seems that the coating dries up fairly quickly so i have switched over to a teeny running line with airflo heads i also made a couple custom heads out of t14 in different lenghts.. you dont need the heavy powerpro backing i just have alot of it so thats what i use. dacron works great but never put it away wet as it does tend to rot.

Rory

Talking

Rory ,interesting,ever try Amnesia Shooting Line/mono made for shooting lines and butt sections when making your owne leaders,really supposed to turn the fly over well.and no memory..
    I like berkley big game fisher for running line low memory shoots like a rocket,but ya have to change it pretty often..Thanks,Vinny
    Vinny
    Hooked Up 2
    Cape May N.J
    Web Site:
    (CREW MEMBER)

Does anyone have a running line that "feels good"??? Ron
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

Ron,i have yet to come acroos a running line that felt like a nice set of double d's [img]tongue.gif[/img] ,Vinny
    Vinny
    Hooked Up 2
    Cape May N.J
    Web Site:
    (CREW MEMBER)

i got some really great use out of the airflo running line but it did wear out rather quickly but the teeny line i am using now so far is great.

Maby we can get Good Ole Uncle Bob in here he uses some blue running line that looks great but i cant find it and i keep forgetting to ask him about it..

as the season progresses i will let ya know how the teeny works out..

Rory

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in