How to get started?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to get started?

I'm very interested in expanding my fishing horizons and experiences by taking up saltwater flyfishing. I've been fishing the backbays and inshore areas of Cape May county for more years than I'd like to admit now, but I've never touched a fly rod. I'm stepping way outside of my angling comfort zone, as flyfishing will be a whole new world for me. However, I'm inspired by the challenge of learning new skills and excited about pursuing new form of fishing! I'm slightly intimidated to even submit this post, given all of the resident expertise here, but at the same time, I figured what a better place to start!

I have a ton of questions ...What's a good resource for me to consult to become familiar with the basics? What type of rod/reel should I consider purchasing? What do I need to look for in a rod and reel that will be used to catch stripers, blues, etc? What other equipment do I need to get started? And, how in the world do I go about learning to cast properly? I'm wont go one, but you can see I need alot of direction!

Thanks for listening to a rookie and I appreciate any ideas, help, or direction that anyone is able to provide!

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Come on down to the next SJCFA meeting on Feb. 17th. and bring all of your questions. Any of our members will be glad to help you. Casting help probably won't start until the weather gets a little warmer. Check out the website for additional info.
    www.southjerseycoastalflyanglers.com
    Hope to see you there!

Cool

We all had to start sometime [img]smile.gif[/img] . We like to welcome newbies to the sport. In south jersey, fly fishing is a rare sighting, so there aren't a lot of people to ask when you need help. I know, I've been there too.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it...
    I am haunted by waters" -Norman Maclean

"Bill, strange things are afoot at the Circle-K" - Ted "Theodore" Logan

The more you learn, the less you really know...
    think about that

Ecclesiastes 10:2
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
    but the heart of the fool to the left.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Thumbs up

Ahab,

I have only been flyfishing the salt for two seasons but still manage to catch fish pretty consistently.

Stop by the next SJCFA meeting and introduce yourself. Ask questions and you will get your answers.

You don't have to be a great caster to catch fish, your line just needs to be in the water.
    99% Catch & Release/Charter Member-SJCFA/RFA Member/Bass Barn MEMBER #58

Good things come...to those who wade!

Cap'n Ahab, Coming to the SJCFA club meeting is your best bet. I'm pretty new to the fly fishing world and these guys really helped me more than they know. Until the next meeting I'd definitely start checking out the club website. There's a lot of great info on there. (www.southjerseycoastalflyanglers.com)

One thing that I'll say is definitely don't rush out and spend a lot of money on expensive "name" gear. Start simple and expand your gear as you learn and enjoy the sport. There are excellent rods and reels that are not very expensive. When I was looking for my first gear a lot of people and fly shops were really giving me what seemed to be compelling reasons to spend a lot more money than necessary. Don't do it.

Talk to the guys at the club to get an idea of what their fishing with now, and if they had to start over, what they would buy as a starter setup.
    23' Hydra-Sports 230 CC

Thanks for the responses! I knew I came to the right place. The initial information was great, especially the reference to the SJCFA! I briefly checked out the website this morning, and was happy to see that the meeting place is close to home!

Sea Monkey, thanks for the advice on the equipment. I know I would have dove right in and purchased expensive equipment right off the bat - that's the way I am! In fact, I was recently looking at some tackle in a catalog and was a bit surprised at the cost Now I know I don't need to do that!

Cap'n Ahab The guys are right SJCFA is great place to start. No question is a dumb question. Everyone started somewhere. At our meetings you will meet everyone and get the best of information and techniques. Answers are unlimited. Fly fishing isn't hard at all. You can learn basics quick and be catching fish in no time, well atleast when the water gets warmer.

We are there to teach the complet sport of fly fishing! The casting is a given, and we can help you there....Fly tying is not needed, but I enjoy it so much! The comraderie is great, and the guest speakers, well, let's just say that you simply can not get any better!
    We look forward to fresh ideas! Bring em on!
    Do what it takes to catch fish!

i started last year... All I can say is "GET TO A MEETING!!" These guys are GREAT! All are willing to share. You'll meet guys who'll let you cast their rods and help you learn, and I can't begin to count how many times I've see flies gifted around...

There's more knowledge in the room at one of the club's meeting than in any course or book you'll come across, and it's a great time to boot.

Hopefully we'll see you in Feb.. I'm still a newb by any sense of the word and completely addicted.

Thanks again for the great responses and for making me feel welcome! I'm feeling more comfortable already. I'm clearing my schedule for Feb. 17. I'm really anxious to raise my angling experiences to another level!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in