Strippng Basket?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Strippng Basket?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Went to the site & they look as though they would be okay, but never seeing one or using that style, I can't say for sure. Ron
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

Thanks. Is there a different design you would recommend?

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Thanks. Is there a different design you would recommend?

Thumbs up

Michael,
    I have used the tried and true Orvis stripping basket. It seems to be the best laid out, best designed basket around. At $45, it is an investment that will searve you well for many years....unless it blows out of the boat....
    I have seen a few friends loose theirs....
    I have worn mine on long hike in locations, as well as in a cockpit busy with multiple hookups of BFTs...The trick is to walk with it turned around facing rearward. When fishing, keep it facing forward. If a fish clears the line and you get him on the reel, turn the basket rearward...Again, it is now out of your way!
    Hope this helps.

[ 02-20-2005, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: Frank Mihalic ]
    Do what it takes to catch fish!

Good advice there Frank!
    "Goody"

i think that fly ty r had one of those collapseable baskets, and didn't like it if i remember correctly. i've used the rubbermaid basket with wire ties for years, and it worked great. cost of about $3. my wife got me the l.l. bean basket last year for my birthday, and i liked it a lot. it is very close in size and set up to the orvis basket, but it only costs $19, vs. $45 for the orvis. the plastic is definitely a heavier gauge than the orvis, which makes it heavier overall. whether this is good or bad, i'm not sure. the plus is that it is comfortable. the con is the weight, which isn't bad at all. also, i'm not sure if the heavier gauge plastic will be more prone to break if dropped, especially in colder weather.

Doyle,
    You are absotively-posolutely correct .

I got one of those collapsable baskets when I first started saltwater flying, and it is now collecting mold in the basement. Those things are horrible! Don't fall for the ad. The one MAJOR thing these baskets lack is line baffles, the cones or sticks on the base that keep your line from tangling on the cast. Without these, you will end up with balls of line on every attempted cast. Even if you lay the line in the basket perfectly (which never happens in real life), it will still find some way to underwrap or overrun itself and get tangled. Now, if you could somehow manage to find a basket with these baffles, I would think differently.

Also, in windy conditions, the collapsable baskets tend to, well, collapse. The mesh isn't strong enough to keep the basket "acceptably" open to collect your line.

Take Joe's advise, get the LL Bean basket. For $20 they are great. Yes, a little heavy, but very durable and comfy. Or you can make your own, but sometimes you can spend more than $20 just getting the right parts.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it...
    I am haunted by waters" -Norman Maclean

"Bill, strange things are afoot at the Circle-K" - Ted "Theodore" Logan

The more you learn, the less you really know...
    think about that

Ecclesiastes 10:2
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
    but the heart of the fool to the left.

After many years of having "fun" and building baskets out of every suitable container at Walmart,(several still in the bay) I finally sprung for an Orvis model at the FF Show 2 years ago. I think it was the day before LLBean came out with theirs or I probably would have gotten that one (seems to be as nice and it's cheaper).

Frank - years ago Reggies Orvis basket blew out of the boat out front. We doubled back a couple miles and found it floating If I'm not mistaken it was because the molded cones were sealed at the bottom (air filled) - the new models (like mine) are open. I'll bet you could fill them with foam or stuff something like styro in them - enough to give it positive bouyancy. I keep meaning to try it on mine before it ends up on the bottom.

Dave

[ 02-21-2005, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: Splash ]

Supporting Vendor

Was your rubbermaid the little dish basket like mine?? The one with the slats in the side? Like Doyle, I think it cost $3-4...I fished this one for years with the wireties stuck thru it, until a friend bought me an Orvis one last year... I used the Orvis one twice, and it was worth every penny he spent on it

Stay Tuna-ed!
    Capt. Ed B.

Your "friend in the business" at TackleDirect 1-888-354-7335

On The Water Magazine South Jersey Monthly Columnist

Steelfin Die-Cut Decals & Apparel

2008 May-Craft 2300CCX
    Hydrasports 2800 Vector Twin 250 HPDI SOLD!

Marvelous Margate NJ

Ed -
    I used one in the Keys last year.......guide said to try it.....first time that I bent over to lower my profile......it stayed collapsed.

Could be my profile didn't help. Noticed that the guide didn't use just gave it to me.

Casting is boring without wrapping around your feet, boat cleats, flags, rod holders and that stupid little screw that I never knew was there.
    Stonerod - (609) 350-9356

I find I use a basket on the surf and jetties, but in the boat I don't use it very much. I use one of the larger ones that looks like a shopping basket that drains. I find it a bit big for the boat and tend to use it on super windy days or when using my heaviest sinking line. When I go offshore in the big boat I have a round colapsable laundry basket that works well tucked in the corner of the cockpit. I have seen a few fold up ones that looked good and thought of getting one for the boat, figuring it would be easy to store when not in use. Has anyone found one that works well?

What ever you use make sure it has holes in it. Drill them if you have to

Most lines actually cast much better when wet! I use my Orvis with NO holes... It is also ver important when deep wading and the basket actually floats on the surface. Holes would not help in this situation.
    I DO use a home made basket made from a shopping basket with wire ties in the bottom when I am surf and jetty fishing. It is more of a "flo through" design...
    Do what it takes to catch fish!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in