Fishing Reports June 1 - June 30 - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Fishing Reports June 1 - June 30

Tuesday night left the dock at 4:30 pm with two fly anglers. They are calling for 13 to 15 mph winds to tie out near dusk. We cleared the inlet to fish the incoming tide. Water was 65 degrees and very brown. The wind had to be blowing in the mid 20's as it was all white caps. I moved down beach figuring with the westerly wind I could find some shelter close to the beach. It wasn't going to happen. There was a good ground swell with waves breaking too far out from the beach and the wind made it impossible to fish.

Decide to move to the shelter of the inlet, stay out of the direct wind and fish the dirty water. We worked it for about 2 hours catching some small stripers an missing some fish. All the bass were about the same size 18 to 20 inches.

Around 6:30 the wind started to die out and we were able to fish the ocean. Still pretty windy but fishable. In the ocean we were able to find some weakfish. They were all small and we would have other fish follow hooked ones to the boat. (guess they must be in spawning mode). Had a few other pictures of the better weakfish, but must of hit the wrong setting on the camera and they didn't come out good.

We would of fished it longer but with the swell action one of the anglers was feeling green and asked if we could go in the back bay.

We moved to the back and the wind kept getting less and less to the point that the gnats came out. (not too badly). They worked poppers and missed a good number of fish. They managed to hook a few stripers and they were all about the same size.

Incoming water as we were heading back to the dock was 62 degrees and we had to put on sweatshirts as it felt cold zipping across the water. Weird thing was that coming up the main channel from the turn buoy to my marina there were hundreds of big fish marks on my fish finder. From the bottom to about 8 feet from the surface and continuous the way. I come this way every night on the way back to the marina and rarely see many decent marks. Never saw anything like this in the harbor before.

Hope they are a new batch of stripers migrating their way north that were coming in with the full moon incoming tide.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Nice to see some fish & good report.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

Thursday afternoon left the dock with one fly angler and on spin fisherman who had never cast a spin rod before, to fish the incoming tide. Ocean was 64 to 65 degrees and nice and clean. Ran down beach and found the surf too big to fish for weakfish. The ground swell was big and waves were breaking too far out to effectively fish. Moved to another area and caught one small weakfish there. Moved to a couple of areas where we picked up some stripers and few blues. Fly angler out fished the spin angler and also had the biggest and the most stripers. Spin angler learned fast how to cast and did a great job fighting his nice size blue with out cranking against the drag going out and putting a nasty twist in the line.

Last edited by CapeMayRay; 06-24-2016 at 10:57 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Friday morning started off rough. Was to leave the dock at 5:30 am with two fly anglers to fish the incoming tide. Radar was showing a big thunderstorm over Delaware bay and there was some good lightning. We sat in the car till about 7:00 am. It had passed and the next batch on the radar looked to be passing to our south.

Headed to the inlet and found the water in the mid 60's and nice and clean. Decided to try in the ocean for stripers and blues with the incoming current. Only fished for a short time and one of the anglers started feeling a little green. We missed on striper and had to move to another area where there was less sea action.

Tried to go down the beach again and try for weakfish, but again there was heavy surf and would of been just as bad for my green angler, so we had to move to another area that was a lot calmer. We worked it and picked up a blue and weakfish on chartreuse/white clousers using sinking line.

With the one angler feeling better I moved us to another area where they could get some stripers but we got zero hits. By this time the wind started picking up a bit out of the northeast and I went back to where they caught the first weakfish and they picked up a few more weakies and missed a few.

It was a long and pretty slow morning and the guys wanted to head in early for a late breakfast and we were back at the dock by 10:00 am. as the one was still feel a little green.

Saturday morning was another tough fishing day due to the strong northeast winds. Was suppose to start out light northeast and pick up by afternoon. I left the dock at 6:00 am with a one angler fly charter and the wind was already blowing pretty strong. When we got outside the inlet I wanted fish for stripers before the wind and waves made it too bad. It was already bad. The wind was blowing the boat around and there was already sea swell and chop.

Only choice was to move to the lee side of inlet jetties where the rocks could shelter us from the wind a bit. Angler got on 19 inch weakfish which we kept as it took the hook deep and was bleeding from the gills. Didn't want a picture of a bloody fish.

We worked it hard, missed one weakfish for sure and maybe a second one. With the wind blowing in the 20's my angler decided switch to a spin rod and gulp and caught 5 throwback fluke. Angler asked if we could fish the back bay for fluke. Being sheltered by the wind we did not realize how hard the wind was blowing. When we came back in the inlet the wind was really honking and the back bay was all white caps with the wind blowing against the tide. We tried an few spots to try and hide from the wind and get a decent drift, but found it impossible. We drifted too fast, water was very brown and the weeds were super bad, so we headed back to the dock.
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 06-25-2016 at 01:55 PM.

Had not fished in a couple of days. Took a personal days. On Sunday raced two classes of remote control sailboats in Mt Laurel. With little to no wind, and it hot as hell it was more of who could endure the most pain.

Monday the wind was blowing off the ocean above 15 mph when we were to leave the dock. My fly angler had only fished with 3 to 5 wt rods for trout and had no back cast experience so we decided to cancel as it would be no fun for him trying to learn how to double haul, casting a weighted fly line with those conditions. After a few hours the wind died down a bit, but by then it was too late to go out.

Got out Tuesday afternoon to fish the start of the outgoing tide. Had a father who wanted to fly fish while his two young sons cast spin rods. Originally the forecast was for rain and thunder storms, but we lucked out and it was to be cloudy and light winds off the ocean.

We headed to the back bay to work the many good creeks and rip lines on the out going tide. Water was 65 to 70 degrees and was semi foggy for the first part of the trip. We had to work hard for every fish we got. Conditions looked perfect other than no bait fish anywhere. The only bait fish we saw all night was only about 1/2 inch long. Kids did a great job for their age while the dad relentlessly cast from the bow of the boat. Kids missed 3 stripers that crashed their lures and being inexperienced and excited on seeing the strike did not continue to reel their lure in to get the fish to hit it again. (that comes with time and by the end of the trip the boys were getting the hang of it.) We tried a good number of spots only getting a individual fish to hit here and there. To make things a little tougher the wind picked up fairly good out of the south south east making it a little tougher to control the boat with tide and wind and taking out the chance of fishing the inlet or the beach front so we had to focus on fishing where we were.

Young Jack (what a sport and great brother) gave his rod to his brother Colton to reel as he knew how excited he would be to get the first fish. Jack ended up holding the fish as Colton want to cast out and catch one on his own.

Jack and then Colton caught one more bass each about the same size.

I felt bad for Dad as he cast the fly all night,had maybe three hits and didn't get to reel a single fish. He said he was okay with that as he got great pleasure is seeing his kids have fun. I could not believe I couldn't get him hooked up. Water was nice and clean, we covered miles of area and it was just a slow night. He will be coming back again so I will get another chance for him to catch a striper on the fly.

It is that time of the year when the nasty stripers start showing up. In the last couple of week more than half the fish we have been getting have lots, or red spots, sores, fin rot or just bleeding from lesions. Biologists tell me is all from the pollution, malnutrition and stress on the fish. I believe it is the migration fish coming up north from the Chesapeake where they see a lot of this. All three of the fish we caught last night had some signs of problems. Here is a picture of just one. Some look so bad you wonder how the fish can even live and you would not want to even try and eat one that looked sick.
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 06-29-2016 at 12:01 PM.
    fdformicola likes this.

Had a pretty good night even with the wind being a bit annoying. We left the dock at 4:00 pm with one person fly charter to work the outgoing tide in the back bay. Wind was blowing in the low teens from the southwest. Just enough to make it annoying. With still a half hour of tide still coming in we worked along sod banks until the tide started out and we could fish the many creek mouths and rip lines. Started angler with intermediate line and a chartreuse/white clouser. No signs of any bait real bait fish, but did see some 1/2 inch stuff in one little area. Did get three bass before the tide changed with these being the two biggest. All three has red spots on them that when you put them on the deck they left blood marks.

When the tide changed we fished all the prime spots. The creeks looked great we fished 6 different ones that looked text book perfect and did not get a single hit. We tried 5 different rip lines that normally hold some fish and picked up on small striper. The whole time we fished the wind got stronger instead of getting lighter as the forecast called for so I decided to move out to the ocean to fish the ocean beach front to get away from the wind.

Water in the ocean was 65 to 66 degrees and nice and clean. The wind was still annoying but very fishable. Angler missed a couple of hits, caught one small fluke, about a 18 inch weakfish that slipped out of his hands and went overboard, while I was trying to get the picture.

Right near dusk the wind finally started easing up making controlling the boat an casting more pleasurable. Last fish of the night was this nice bluefish that made three big jumps during the fight.

Even the blue fish has some red sores that were bleeding. Couldn't tell it it was from some sort of bite or a sore.

rob

Ray,

What's the technique you use on the rip lines? sinking or intermediate and what type of flies?

------------

Rob

Rob, It always depends on the depth. If I am fishing the back bay and fishing a rip line where the current comes off of a point and the water is generally fairly shallow I adjust according to the depth. If it is 12 feet to around 5 feet I will use a intermediate line with a clouser or deceiver pattern. I like to cast across the current like you would in a trout stream and as the current catches the fly line it sweeps the fly across the current. If the current is really strong you hardly have to do any stripping.

If the water is very shallow (4 feet or less) I use floating line and a deceiver pattern so I do not hang up on the bottom.

When fishing around the end of a inlet jetty or one on the beach where the current is strong and the water is fairly deep I use sinking line to get the fly down deeper. Deeper is always better especially if there is still a fair amount of sun. I feel the fish will be down deeper and you have to get it down to where they can see it.
    Also when fishing deeper water around jetties I will sometimes use a little heavier clouser and count it down a few seconds to let it sink deeper. If you don't hang up on the rocks once in a while you may miss some good fish as they love to work all the nooks in-between the rocks for bait fish.
    rob likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in