recommend equipment - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: recommend equipment

Again , all good advice. Get to a good fly shop and see what feels good to you. Some guys myself included prefer a fast action rod while others like a slower action. I fish with a lot of good fly anglers and over many years we have all ended up with totaly different set ups. From a very soft 9wt to a fast crisp 10 wt. The action of the rod will change your casting rhythm, one of these actions will feel best to you. Frank is giving you sound advice, don't expect to go out and cast your new 9 wt all day build up to it. Especialy with heavier line. You'll be suprised how much more energy it takes to chuck a fly rod all day. At the risk of sounding repetitive, get to a good shop and try before you buy. Keep us informed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

I have several of the TFO rods and have been very happy with them. I also have three of their reels and they have performed well also. If you are going to be fishing salt, make sure you get a reel designed to withstand the elements.

Capt. Chris Myers
    Central Florida Sight Fishing Charters
    http://www.floridafishinglessons.com

Quote Originally Posted by addictedtofishing
    well i have no problem casting really i've used a small fly rod in the past maybe 4 years ago in my freshwater arsenal
    There is not much in common when casting a small freshwater fly rod on a pond or stream compared to a heavy duty saltwater fly rod out on the beach. The standard "10-to-2" casts done in freshwater will not get you anywhere in the salt, except maybe in the way back backwaters with no wind. In most saltwater applications, you have wind, waves, and roiling current to deal with out there. You need to learn how to maximize your line speed and loop control to battle the wind. Also, double hauling, while not a necessity, will help. But be a good caster before trying to haul. If you can't cast well, hauling will only hide your mistakes until they come back to bite you later. It's not a walk in the park, and practice is essential, but once you get it, it is well worth it.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it...
    I am haunted by waters" -Norman Maclean

"Bill, strange things are afoot at the Circle-K" - Ted "Theodore" Logan

The more you learn, the less you really know...
    think about that

Ecclesiastes 10:2
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
    but the heart of the fool to the left.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

I use a 10 weight for most of my saltwater flyfishing, with an intermediate line. Occasionally i use a 9 weight or 8 weight if there is no wind, the 9 weight is a super stiff rod that throws an 11 weight line easily, and i overload a 7 weight loomis blank with an 8 wt on that rig.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in