Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By CapeMayRay
  • 2 Post By Fly Ty R
  • 3 Post By Fly Ty R
  • 1 Post By Fly Ty R
  • 1 Post By Fly Ty R

Thread: Fishing Reports November 1 - November 30

Default Fishing Reports November 1 - November 30

Turkey day is just around the corner. There is a chill in the air & most are thinking of the Holidays coming. We however still have thoughts of catching a fish or three. Looking forward to reading some glorious reports in the next 30 days. If you noticed, I was pretty quiet during October. We have had brutal constant wind from the N & E for most of October. Hopefully I, & you will have a good November. Fantasy Fest is over down here, some are dressed & it appears that we are getting some better weather towards the end of the week. Hoping to read & write some good reports.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Went out last night, no nothing going on. Getting chilly and running out of daylight fast now. Very soon I won't be able to do the sunset after work trips like I have been, so I'm enjoying it while I can. It looks to me like all the big bait is out of my area, so it's all the tiny stuff and minnies now. No more peanuts, which is probably why the action has died too.

With the saltwater striper fishing still too pathetic to do charters or have any personal fun my only option is to freshwater fish. Decided to do a late trip and see if I could have another great night like last week and get some more nice size crappies. Got to lake around 6:00 pm. with little to no wind. Caught a small crappie and a small largemouth on a bait fish pattern on floating line before it got totally dark. After dark I switched over to an all black gurgler on floating line. Got two more largemouth, with this being the best one.

I really expected to see better action and thought it was pretty slow. It may sound a little silly but I think it was a little too bright out. The moon was a little better and a quarter out but it was way brighter than normal. I could still see my shadow in the water and my boots bottoms in thigh deep water. Seems like the darker the night the better the fishing. I like it dark. The fishing is always better when you can't see where you or casting or where you are walking. I called it an early night and left a little after 7:15 pm.
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 11-05-2016 at 09:15 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Couldn't stand any more of not going. Tide was supposed to be right at 3:47 & even though there was a pretty good NE wind steady 20+I untied the boat at 3:30 at set u[ at one of my close areas. Quite sporty & the tide was earlier than expected. Might have been with the time change. After about 40 minutes of casting I had a hit, missed, but that caused me to stay as I was ready to pack it in. 1/2 hr. or so later hooked & landed around a 40lb. tarpon. Left shorty after as I said "it was sporty." Wind straight down the pike, tide ripping. Was using a 10wt, with floating WF line, shortish leader, 6ft, with 30lb. shock tippet &
    Tied with a small loop knot. Good to get the first one since I've been here this fall. Going to check the conditions tonight at 3;30ish.
    Ron Conner

You had to work hard in what sounded to be less than ideal conditions and it paid off. A 40 lb. fish, I would say you had a great night. Everyone here in Cape May is sea bass and tog fishing as it is pretty much the only show in town. My friends that normally fish for stripers are getting more and more frustrated as we are still not seeing any migration here and they are getting tired of working their butts off to find a couple of dink stripers. I here there are some fish finally making their way to LBI. That hopefully will get here by Thanks Giving. Want to trade places? I would gladly fish nasty conditions of at least a shot at some fish.

Ron,
    I'll take a 40lb fish any day! It's been lots of snotty weather up here lately with the wind, so it must be coastwide. Good luck tonight.

Ray,
    Time to start guiding for largemouth and crappies at your pond. Looks like you're doing very well there.
    Largemouth like it just as dark as stripers. The less moon the better.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it...
    I am haunted by waters" -Norman Maclean

"Bill, strange things are afoot at the Circle-K" - Ted "Theodore" Logan

The more you learn, the less you really know...
    think about that

Ecclesiastes 10:2
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
    but the heart of the fool to the left.

Dave, I have no desire to guide in freshwater. I only freshwater fish in the spring before the boat goes in the water and in the fall and winter when it is cooler, near or after dark when most anglers are gone. Saltwater is what I like as (or it use to be) where you always had a shot at a decent size fish.

Doing charters for me has alway been a lot of fun. You meet a lot of great people and you get paid for doing it. Anymore all the fun has gone out of taking out fly charters. I was always easy to find some fish, some nights you found good numbers and there were a reasonable amount of decent fish around. Now with fewer and smaller fish year after year, less bait fish to hold fish and fewer and fewer decent fish in general we have just seen a steady deterioration of over all fishing. With global warming changing striper migratory patterns in the spring and the fall just catching a few fish anymore is a challenge for charter and recreational fishermen. You really can't give charters value for their money when fishing is like it is now and the shot at a decent fish is just a pipe dream. It looks like this is the long term trend with no hopes of any change. I guess I will hang in there and keep doing charters as I am too stupid to quit. No one wants to run a business and then turn away customers. I find telling the customers the truth and letting them decide whether if they want to fish or not is the best policy. They may not like what they hear but the appreciate the honesty and they stick with you through the years.

With the internet the mobile fisherman can find out where the fish are and just go fish there. I had a sports writer ask me early this fall If I had any tips for fall striper fishing in Cape May, that I wanted to share. When I thought about it, I told him. Yea, If you want to catch stripers in the fall, don't fish Cape May! Go north. (it wasn't published)
    fdformicola likes this.

Went again Monday dark A.M.& had one bite. Landed about a 20lb + or - feisty tarpon. More than 5 or 7 jumps. Calmer where I was as wind was a little more easterly which gave me a little more shelter. Tide was right for dusk & went again. Fished for 2 hours after dark without a tap. Evidence of large schools of mullet but nothing else. Same equipment.
    Ron Conner

Got my first red today, but had to travel 1000 miles south to get it. The wind was cranking across Mosquito Lagoon, so I poked around the gator infested mangrove backwaters at Merritt Island NWR and got this little surprise. It was under a fallen log in the mangroves, so I had to wrestle it out of the muck and sticks before it broke off on me. Used a chartreuse craft fur something-or-other I tied up for the trip. The water down here is still very dirty from the hurricane in Sept, surprisingly. Going out on my charter on Friday in The Lagoon, hope to have more luck then.
    rob and Jim Warner_FlyNewbe like this.

Dave, Knew you were coming down, just forgot where. glad you found a red & good fishing Friday. Enjoy the non-fishing times also.
    Ron Conner

There are non-fishing days?

Went out on my guided trip today and got way more than the one I got on Wednesday. Flats sight fishing for reds Is much different than what I'm used to in SJ, but I caught on quickly enough and landed 7, and missed plenty more. Had an excellent fly guide that knew his stuff and put me right in the fish in tough windy conditions and off-color water. My original guide had to cancel due to engine problems, so luckily another guy he recommended (Capt. Justin Price) was available this week. I would highly recommend him if you are looking into a guided flats trip in Mosquito Lagoon, he was excellent. I also got two little specks too, which actually took the fly out of the mouths of feeding reds. So they would be something I'd target in SJ but they were an annoyance here. Funny. In all, we probably saw/spooked 100 reds today and a few monster specks. Not a bad day at all.

rob

Nice, Dave, congrats... looks great!

------------

Rob

Enjoyed our one and only wind-free day this year today on the water. Got a nice 30" ocean run striper, fresh and full of lice, in super top secret spot #2. It might as well have been super top secret for real, I was the only one out there for hours. The fish must have been lost from up north, it didn't know it wasn't 8 miles offshore like it was supposed to be down our way. It hit a tan 100% craft fur deceiver (no saddles, just reverse tied craft fur with some flash and eyes) dead drifted in the outgoing current. It earned its place on the reel, fought very well and took a bit of line. No pic, of course I forgot my phone in the truck.

Other than that and one other tap that I missed, there was absolutely no evidence of life in the ocean or bay. Not even one swirl from a silverside, not one bird diving. The fleet was hanging about a mile outside the inlet, not sure if they were on anything or not, but it didn't look like it from where I was. The "south of Barnegat" desert that we have down here is living up to its reputation yet again. North of Barney is on fire, but down our way it's Siberia. Pretty sad, it should be prime time right now.

After fishing the whole outgoing there I went over to the Del Bay on my way home. Fished there for a bit. The bait guys were bailing perch and schoolie stripers on bloodworm, I just got extra casting practice. Just out enjoying the glass calm conditions all day long.
    Last edited by Fly Ty R; 11-25-2016 at 06:55 PM.
    rob likes this.

Just keep remembering that one nice one on the reel. Sounds like a nice fly. Had some decent spotted sea trout couple days ago. No tarpon last night, but plenty of turkey.
    Ron Conner

Craft Fur Deceivers, #1/0 hook. One straight tie for the tail and three reverse ties up the shank, with some flash in between the first three clumps. Leave the underfur in the last two ties for added bulk. Top one is chartreuse fur with pink polar flash inside, and bottom one is tan fur with pearl polar flash. Little bit of red crystal flash as a throat for both. Eyes gooped behind hook eye, make sure not to smash down the bulk.

The tan one worked on Friday. The mono weed guards actually make these wiggle a bit on the retrieve, surprisingly. Use a loop knot for best action.

Attachment 357434
    Last edited by Fly Ty R; 11-27-2016 at 07:13 PM.
    rob likes this.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it...
    I am haunted by waters" -Norman Maclean

"Bill, strange things are afoot at the Circle-K" - Ted "Theodore" Logan

The more you learn, the less you really know...
    think about that

Ecclesiastes 10:2
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
    but the heart of the fool to the left.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in