Reports-February 1 - Feb. 28 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Reports-February 1 - Feb. 28

Great to hear you out & about Ray. That day up the coast sounded wonderful. Glad you didn't take the plunge. Continue to enjoy.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

No plunge for me. I just started the Cardio Rehab three days a week and I was kidding my nurses this morning about how dam cold the water was. They told me I was crazy as it would probably kill me if I tried it. Guess a man has to know his limitations! Hope you got your Photo bucket picture issue fixed. Ray

Ray,
    Awesome you are back out on the water! The weather this week is making it hard to stay indoors. Never underestimate the power of the black bugger! The water was in the 40's, so not a good time to fall in. Ack

I got about 50 creek chubs yesterday morning looking in vain for holdover salmonids. Not likely to happen in that spot, too warm in summer and too many otters eating them. Oh well, it was nice to get the winter dust of the reel.
    Last edited by Fly Ty R; 02-21-2017 at 08:44 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Beautiful weather so I had to give the freshwater another shot. Fished a couple of hours. Started off targeting crappies and pickerel with usual stuff that they take using sinking line. All the normal good spots were dead so I put on the old bead headed black wooly bugger and tried where the action was hottest the last time I was out. After about 10 casts I got the first sunfish. Then I caught medium sized crappie. The bite was slow. I cast out and would count my line down 12 to 15 second and use a slow twitch and strip. Pretty much hooked every fish that hit and again they all felt like ice when removing the hook. Ended up the day with 5 sunfish and 3 crappies with one of those being half decent.

Felt good to be outdoors on such a nice day and catching a few fish as a bonus.
    rob and Jim Warner_FlyNewbe like this.

Ray,
    Nice! Feb is the slowest month here, but you can still get the fish to hit if you go low and slow enough. Happy birthday, by the way.

I want to target some local pre spawn smallies this March, just have to figure out what flies to use. Probably a Clouser and Bugger will work just fine down in the weeds. I also want to look for holdover trout in spots, before they close down the waters for stocking. And, I also want to get the skiff running again this year, so we'll see what I actually get to. Plans plans plans...
    rob and Jim Warner_FlyNewbe like this.

Sorry, this has absolutely nothing to do with fly fishing, but I just had to share this video for some off-season levity. Sometimes you just have to get out on the water, no matter what. This had me on the floor laughing. I think I've done this before... Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPrFDxjmGV8
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it...
    I am haunted by waters" -Norman Maclean

"Bill, strange things are afoot at the Circle-K" - Ted "Theodore" Logan

The more you learn, the less you really know...
    think about that

Ecclesiastes 10:2
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
    but the heart of the fool to the left.

Ray

Are you still using your 8-weight in fresh water or have you gotten something lighter? I was on Valley Creek (really low and very clear) last Saturday with my 3-weight. Landed 3, missed three. Beautiful day on the water. So glad to have gotten out.
    Jim Warner - SJCFA

Jim, I use 5 and 6wt rods for freshwater. They seem to be good for the fishing that I do. Find that I have had good luck with coffee colored leader. It doesn't show up in the sunlight as much and of course the old clip in front of the fly is a must.

I'd love to fish with Ray's famous metal loop knot and a ratty black wooly bugger next to some snooty trout elites on a river up north daintily dropping emergers in the film with 8x tippets :-). And I'd probably outfish them too. That's how we roll down here in the no mans land of SJ.

PIckerel have been out all month. Had some nice 20" fish from all over south jersey ponds and brackish creeks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1904.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	371162 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16640955_1913990532168366_3219445806635682555_n.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	371154
    rob likes this.

Nice! Picks are underrated but can be a blast on the fly rod. Like the pictures too!

rob

x2, will be trying for pics when I'm back on NJ water in a couple of weeks...

------------

Rob

rob

hey, Ron, can you flip the switch to turn the fans off? I mean, it's fun watching 7-10'surf, but not very productive

------------

Rob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in