Fishing Reports May 1 - May 31 - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Fishing Reports May 1 - May 31

rob

Ron,

Was that weird keys palolo worm hatch going on? (I and several boats all lined up) experienced that frustrating daisy chain skunk one evening when I was down there
    a few years back.

------------

Rob

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Took the whole family out on the skiff yesterday for some fun ride time. Was definitely overloaded, and struggled a bit at first, but it was able to get on plane eventually. Ended up ticking the trim up one more notch and was able to get up quicker. So I can say without reservation the prop and tabs help tremendously. One side note, I should have checked my motor anode before heading out. I heard a rattling in lower unit at low speed but didn't at WOT. Wasn't sure what it was, but didn't seem to affect the operation of the motor. Only when I put the boat back on the trailer did I see what all the racket was about. Whoops!! No more anode, and a nice ding in every blade of the new prop. D'oh! At least it was something stupid like that and not anything major. I guess after 16 years I need to change out that thing... :-)

I change mine every year, but my boat sits at the dock with all kinds of nasty electric current around. Trailering your boat you get a lot more life from them.

I took the grand kids to a local pond yesterday for some sunfish with a bobber and worms as it was a bit too windy to take them out in the boat. They caught some sunfish and it lasted about 3/4 of an hour before they were ready to move on to something else. Did see a nice 4 or 5 lb bass come and look at their worm and hooked sunfish, but it was smart enough to just look.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Streamer and they were hitting surprisingly softer then I'm used to.
    rd

Ray,
    Motor is a 2001, was barely broken in when I bought the boat, and it's been on a trailer since day 1. It didn't look bad at all, but I guess the inside where the bolt hooks in must have been corroded away. I guess 16 years of service out of something that normally lasts 1 is pretty good...!

I also finally swapped out the water pump impeller this year, again having never been changed since day 1. 16 years of use later and the thing still looked brand new. That little Merc 20 surprises me continually. I don't think I'll let it go that long anymore :-)

Rocco,
    You fishing the upper Delaware lately? Just saw your post about the streamers. I haven't been up there in years, but last time I went the rock snot was getting really bad up the west branch. Just wondering if it's gotten any better lately?

Being nice and cloudy and no wind today I decided go out with a friend and do a personal trip. We left the dock at 11:30 to fish the last of the incoming tide and the start of the outgoing in the back bay. I was going to fly fish and he was going to use a popping or swimming plugs. Was headed to the back bay sod banks when we spotted some birds working in the middle of a flat. When we got closer we could see fish breaking water feeding on spearing. I have not seen any bird activity in the back like that in years. We caught 10 blues, loosing one plug to a bite off. (no flies to bite offs) before the activity stopped. They were all decent size from 21 to 26 inches and keep 4 for dinner.

Next we worked some sod banks that produced last week and they were dead. We moved to another area that produced last week and found it dead there. When the tide started out I notices some egrets sitting on a sod bank picking at some bait. We went over and found some more blues and a couple of small stripers.

By that time the sun came out strong and we tried some creek mouths only to find them dead. The water was very clear and there might of just been too much light. Searching around we found another area where a couple of egrets were picking. Here we found more blues and stripers with a boil here and there indicating there were definately fish around. Here I got my nicest bass of the afternoon.

When the actions slowed we worked one more rip line and picked up two more stripers to end the day and headed back to the dock at 4:00 pm. Pretty good mid day trip. We had over 20 blues and 8 stripers.
    fdformicola likes this.

No worm hatch so far this year. None of my contacts, not really many but good, have reported any. I've hit it a few times & actually the last couple, three, times have done stupidly well. It really is a zoo. Tide is not to my liking. Will be around in the evening in another day or two. Couple of nights off. Nice to hear that it was a streamer. Continued good fishing to you.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in