Fishing reports June 1 - June 30 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Fishing reports June 1 - June 30

rob

Ray,

sinking line and clousers? sounds like a nice evening, when I have time to get out lately it seems to always be blowing 20+

------------

Rob

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Rob, yesterday was a light tackle charter. They were not fly fishermen. Used jig heads and glup and swimming plugs. Do have a fly fisherman tonight. Looks like another dead low tide start and a good wind off the ocean again. Hope we can do as well as last night. Gets hard to fish the fly a with good wind, plus the water is very muddy a low tide when we start.

rob

Quote Originally Posted by CapeMayRay View Post
    Rob, yesterday was a light tackle charter. They were not fly fishermen. Used jig heads and glup and swimming plugs. Do have a fly fisherman tonight. Looks like another dead low tide start and a good wind off the ocean again. Hope we can do as well as last night. Gets hard to fish the fly a with good wind, plus the water is very muddy a low tide when we start.

Ray,

Thanks... it would help if I paid attention to details *DOH*

Nice to be hitting fish no matter the method!

------------

Rob

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Tuesday nights trip turned out to be a tough fishing trip. With Monday being good I was expecting another repeat. It wasn't to be. Was to be one fly and one spin angler but turned out with a third angler they decided to do all spin fishing. We left the dock at 5:00 pm with dead low being around then. We head to the ocean to try for some weakfish and fluke. The water was a bit brownish and the wind was already honking out of the south and it was already like a washing machine but still fishable. We worked it hard for better than an hour missing a couple of fish and hits.

With the tide up a bit and the wind not letting up we moved inside the inlet to find a little shelter from the wind. Here we got this small striper and missed about a 30 inch bluefish that when I went to net, I hooked the plug in the net and the fish shook off.

After missing another hit I made the move to the back bay where there was now a little water. Fishing two areas with out a hit we moved to a third were we caught two more stripers and missed one or two it was just plain slow.

We moved to one last area and caught one decent size bluefish and missing one other hit before heading in after dark. It was just one of those super tough nights. It was a fun group to have out and I felt bad not being able to provide them with better action.

My highlight of the night was that one brother who was a chief from Switzerland left me super sandwich that hit the spot. While sitting on my dock box I heard a bass popping along the dock shadow line. I couldn't resist an grabbed a fly rod and caught a little 15 inch bass before heading home.

With even stronger winds blowing now and predicted for this afternoon I cancelled tonight's trip.

Thought I might be able to get todays charter in but again the wind has been honking pretty strong all day off the ocean. With dead low tide during the trip and not being able to fish the ocean with all the wave action we decided it would be like beating a dead horse and canceled the trip.

Wasn't planning on fishing today as the tides were really poor at dawn and dusk, but when I got up it was foggy and very cloudy. Checking the weather they were calling for heavy cloud cover till around 2:30 pm. Normally even with a good tide you don't go out to fish for stripers mid day with a bright sun, but with the heavy overcast I decided to try mid day. Called up a buddy and we decided to try.

Left the dock a noon time with high tide at 1:38 pm. Headed to the back bay with very cloudy sort of foggy conditions. Water was around 75 degrees and nice and clean. We searched around and found some spearing along one sod bank and started working it. I was using intermediate line and my buddy was using his favorite. (a popping plug) He is usually good with the popper and misses very few strikes, but today his first 4 hits ended up with no hook ups. I finally broke the ice with a small striper and small bluefish on a chartreuse/white clouser.

We stayed in that general area as there was bait fish and work about 300 yards of sod bank back and forth. While working the area some fish showed up to work over the spearing and we would see some boils here and there. We both started getting some fish. Most were stripers and all fairly decent fish 22 to 25 inches and full of fight when hooked in 3 to 4 feet of water.

I was giving my buddy a hard time about his hook up ratio as I have never seen him miss so may strikes when we came to what is normally a good spot. He cast his popper perfectly to the right spot and I say that is a money shot there has to be a fish there. There was up came a fish and slammed his popper like someone dropped a cinder block in the water. After a nice fight he landed a nice 30 1/4 inch bass, which more than made up for all the missed fish. We took a couple of pictures and released it for someone else to catch another day.

We continued to fish catching more stripers and blues and left the fish biting at 2:30 pm as I had to get home to get a shower and head off to make the grandsons birthday party. This was the last fish of the day.

Only reason we were able to have good mid day fishing was the heavy cloud cover. Otherwise with the warm water it would be just too bright for the fish to be there.
    rob, fdformicola and NotAtWork like this.

Weather will not cut me a break. Canceled Saturday night due to too much wind. They were calling for 20 mph winds and I had two inexperienced fly anglers that were driving down from Pa. just for the trip. I canceled before they drove all the way down. It was pretty windy so it was a good call. This morning it was suppose to be 4 to 8 mph winds but when we got down to the boat the wind was still blowing strong and with close to low tide there was no water in the back and the ocean still had heavy wave activity and wind so we canceled this morning.

Looking at the forecast this afternoon, they were calling for 8 to 10 mph winds as I was looking at the wind gauge on my house hitting wind gusts to 25 mph. Went down to the boat and saw the whole inter-harbor covered with white caps and canceled tonight. Would of been no fun for anyone even trying to fish a semi-sheltered spot.

Hope to get in tomorrow afternoon trip, but right now they are calling for 12 to 13 mph winds with a 75 to 85 percent chance of thunderstorms and rain. Seems like we are seeing very few nice calm decent days for fishing this year. It is the year of a lot of wind.

Hang in there Ray. Saw the sun come up on the beach this AM. Still looking for the elusive beach snook. Fished a couple hours with int ln on my 8wt. & a short silvery minnow about 2 in long. Friend was spinning with a small plug, switching to plastics. Would like to say we each caught but neither of us did. Maybe tomorrow.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

Ron, sounds like a really slow morning. No hits or any other fish hitting at all? Should of went out in the boat as there is always some place you can move to. At least you got to fish.

Yesterday was another canceled trip. Was getting gusts to 28 mph yesterday afternoon when we were to leave the dock and 2 hours later the heavy rain and thunderstorms came along so it was good to be home and inside. Today is looking good with light winds and no rain and I am looking forward to getting on the water again.

rob

Quote Originally Posted by CapeMayRay View Post
    Ron, sounds like a really slow morning. No hits or any other fish hitting at all? Should of went out in the boat as there is always some place you can move to. At least you got to fish.

Yesterday was another canceled trip. Was getting gusts to 28 mph yesterday afternoon when we were to leave the dock and 2 hours later the heavy rain and thunderstorms came along so it was good to be home and inside. Today is looking good with light winds and no rain and I am looking forward to getting on the water again.
    yeah "light winds" here today as well ... only 10-15 with some gusts

going anyway, just don't know if the flyrod'll come out

------------

Rob

Tuesday afternoon the wind gods finally let us go out and play. Left the dock at 4:15 pm. to fish the last of the incoming and the beginning of the out going tide in the back bay. Wind was from the south west at 12 to 15 mph which seemed like nothing compare to the days before. Was a father and son light tackle trip and guys were fishing popping plugs. Second cast they hooked up a big fish. Fought it and got it close to the boat and saw it was a big bluefish around 30 inches. It took a good run and bit the plug off.

We started with decent action finding a couple of pods of bait fish that held some fish and started catching some small stripers.

We covered a good amount of ground and kept picking at bass here and there catching two decent eating size blues (not as big as the one missed) and a few decent size bass.

Overall it was a good night. Decent wind, no bugs. (except I saw the first green head land on the boat) and the guys had 17 bass and two bluefish on the night and we were back at the dock by 8:30 PM.
    fdformicola likes this.

Wednesday morning was a little different. I thought I would pick up where I left off last night. Left the dock at 6:00 am. with another father and son light tackle trip. There was very little wind as we headed to the back bay. They used popping plugs. Third cast we had the first small striper boated and I thought it was going to be a super morning.

It was not to be. After about 5 minutes of fishing the gnats were out in full force and we had to go to bug spray to keep them under control. It was a strange morning. We would get a very light hit or a follow for about every 100 yards of sod bank that we would work and they missed 4 out of 5 fish that would strike. Then every once in a while one would hit like it was starving.

We ended up with 8 bass on the morning with nothing big and no bluefish at all. All the fish we caught were about average size.

Luckily half way through the trip the wind kicked up 12 to 15 mph and the gnats were all gone. Guys were happy but they had to work hard for every fish as they were really very not very aggressive this morning.
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 06-21-2017 at 01:33 PM.

Bit of a strange morning. No fly fishing again today. Had two 14 year old boys and 11 year old and their aunt. We left the dock at 7:00 am. to fish the out going tide in the back bay. Was planning on going straight to chumming with clam bellies but the kids has some spin fishing skills and I decided to try them using popping plugs for the first hour before the tide started out. Got to the back and it was dead flat calm. Gnats and green heads were out in force and we had to go to bug spray. Boys had 4 hits and hooked one small bass. Almost got it to the boat but we could see the line was hooked on the side of the fish with the line around the plug and it broke off.

Moved on to the original plan. Anchored up and started chumming. There was still zero wind and it was super hot and the grass and weed was as thick as I have seen it. It would completely cover the baits and every two minutes we would have to check the lines for weed cover. Luckily the wind picked up enough to make it pleasant after about and hour into the chumming. We got some sand sharks that the boys liked, but had to work for them with all the weeds, were normally you catch them as fast as you can get a line down.

Might of had one bass or bluefish on as it stayed near the surface and ran off to the side but we never saw it before it came off.

Boys had a good time but with all the grass, blood and chum sun baked on the boat it was and extra long clean up back at the dock.
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 06-23-2017 at 07:33 AM.

Just plain brutal Friday night. Left the dock with one person fly charter. Wind was blowing at 10 to 11 mph at the house and it looked like a great fishing night. Right after we left the dock the wind started to pick up pretty good out of the south. With a super big incoming tide with the new moon pushing 6.00 feet we went to work the inlet before heading to the back bay. I hadn't fished there in awhile and wanted to check it out. When we left the dock the water was 75 degrees. When we hit the inlet it was 61 degrees. Water looked clean and fishy with fairly good wave action so we stayed on the inside. Worked it for about an hour and had one hit using a clouser on sinking line.

The wind kept building so we headed to the back where we tried a good number of areas, looking for bait fish, bird activity or signs of life and we found no spots that had any life. We moved all over figuring there had to be life some where. I couldn't find it. All night we manged to scrounge two small stripers 15 to 17 inches with the winds around 20 mph. and we had 3 other hits.

My charter was a great caster which really helped as it was difficult just to keep the boat where I wanted it. We even tried a couple of semi-sheltered creeks that normally hold bass on the super high tides and found nothing. By the time we quit the water was way over the sod banks making it look like the water was up to the parkway. (it is never good when it is like that.) as you loose all defined structure to work. On the way back to the dock it felt more like fall with the wind and the water passing under the old 50 cent bridge at 60 degrees. Think it was combination of the 15 degree water temp change and the high winds that caused the fish to have lock jaw. One of the toughest nights I have had this year. Water back at the dock was now 61 degrees.

No wind problems Friday afternoon. Just an electric motor problem. Left the dock at 4:00 pm. with 3 lady fly anglers to fish the incoming tide. Ladies had done a lot of freshwater fly fishing but not much salt. I had two of the ladies out before and was able to get them some bass even with their limited casting skills. (25 ft and 35 feet casts.)

It was a bit windy, maybe 15 mph when we left the dock with the wind to drop out as the evening went on. Water was really very brown as we worked the incoming tide in the ocean. We fished for about and hour, with them missing one fish, when my electric motor started doing weird things. Usually a sign that the control board or wrist controller went bad. Got out my back up wrist controller and that didn't solve the problem. With a strong incoming tide and 15 mph winds their was no way I could properly control boat position with out an electric motor so two could fish and I was forced to terminate the trip and head to the dock.

I had another group of three lady fly anglers (from the same group) scheduled for Saturday morning so I went home to get my back up electric motor so I would be ready for the AM trip. Got the back up motor on the boat and it too had the same problem as the first motor. Figured it can be as I know it was good. I concluded it must be an electrical connection problem as two control board couldn't go down at the same time. Worked till dark checking the battery connections all the way to the plug connection in the front of the boat. Figured it had to be some where in the last female connector.

At this point West Marine was closed and I would have to wait till 8:00 am. to get a new connector. This forced me to cancel the girls group for Sunday morning. Needless to say they were a bit disappointed and were going to a plan B where all 6 would try the surf at Cape May Point in the morning.

8:00 am. before I buy a new connector I figured I would take my foot pedal control and see if that worked. It did and both engines operated fine. The electric connector was good and either both auto pilot controls were bad or the wrist controllers. Next step was to get a back up auto pilot control board from home and try that. With that not working it now had to be in the wrist controllers. Figured what are the odds that both wrist controllers would go bad at the same time or both of the batteries went down at the same time.

Went to CVS and got two new batteries for the wrist controllers and both electric motors are functioning properly. What are the odds of both batteries going bad considering that they were replaced at different times. (that's the whole idea of having a back up)

Now all I have to worry about is finding some fish this afternoon's charter.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in