Fishing reports June 1 - June 30 - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Fishing reports June 1 - June 30

Everything went well for Sunday nights charter. Left the dock at 4:30 pm. with a one person fly charter to fish the incoming tide in the ocean. Water at the marina was 74 degrees. When we hit the inlet it was 62 degrees. We had a light south wind and the water was fairly clean. Fishing was fairly slow but managed to pick up 2 throw back fluke and 3 keeper size weakfish that were around the same size.

They were all caught on chartreuse/white clousers and released. With the tide coming in strong we move to a couple of other areas to fish for stripers and caught 4 small schoolie size bass using the same fly and intermediate line.

Water was 60 degrees when we finished fishing and it felt like fall. We were glad we brought sweat shirts and jackets. Water at the dock was 62 degrees when we came in.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Monday morning left the dock at 5:30 am to fish the incoming tide in the ocean with a 2 person fly charter. Water was 62 degrees in the inlet and a light north west wind making it feel like fall. Used the same as last night. Chartreuse/white clousers on sinking line. One angler with lesser casting skill decided to use the spin rod instead and switched to gulp on a jig head. Both the fly and the the jig head were productive. Action was pretty steady. They caught 8 fluke (all throwbacks) and 7 weakfish and missed a fair number of fish. The biggest weakie was caught on a fly.

Tried working some areas like last night with more current for stripers, but we didn't have any takers so we moved to the back bay to work some sod banks to finish out the trip. In 3 to 4 feet of water that was 63 they caught 5 stripers and missed two.

Fly angler caught on intermediate line using a chartreuse/white clouser and spin angler caught on a swimming plug, with the fly angler catching 3 of the 5 bass in the back. Over all it was a pretty decent morning and we were back at the dock at 10:00 am as it was getting too bright and it was starting to get warm out.

Sounds like two nice trips Ray & good to see some weakfish.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Had to work hard Monday night for fish or at least it felt that way. Left the dock at 4:30 pm. with a one person fly charter to fish the incoming tide in the ocean. Water at the dock was 73 degrees. When we hit the ocean it was 63 degrees and nice and clean. Using chartreuse/white clousers he caught 5 weakfish to 17 inches, two throwback fluke and a sea/herring and missed a few fish. (all fish were released) We fished three different spots until the tide got higher and worked for some stripers. Saw no bait fish or bird play anywhere and the water around the inlet with a good running tide was around 61 degrees and dead other than one hit and miss.

With a little bit of water in the back bay, we headed to the back and worked 4 different spots and my charter caught two small stripers in a area where the water was around 75 degrees, 3 1/2 feet deep and there was some super small bait fish. The other three spots were dead with out a hit. We headed back to the dock at 8:30 pm. Bay water inside the harbor on the run home was 62 degrees. I think the big temperatures changes are effecting the fish's minds. I know it is effecting mine! When you un-hooked a fish it felt like it was on ice.
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 06-27-2017 at 10:00 AM.

Didn't fish last night as I had a fly anger that wanted to catch his first striper on the fly. Had nice weather, but with the best striper action being in the back bay and a really bad tide with no water to fish in the back till after dark we canceled to find another day when tides would be better. This last week has been a little weird. We have had some really cold water in the low 60's all week and no signs of any bait fish or bird activity around the inlet and no bluefish action to speak of on the last 4 outings.

Had some confusion with charter today. Was to take a dad and his two young kids chumming in the back bay for sand sharks and hopefully a bass or blue or two. Charter never showed up as he had marked the wrong date on his calendar. The only time I fish mid day is if I chum as fishing in the brightest sun and the heat of the day is the kiss of death for fly or plug fishing unless it is foggy or overcast.

Since the boat was ready to go I figured I would do a quick hit and run trip. Water at the top of the tide in the marina was 62 degrees. Water was super clean. Shot to the back bay to fish some sod banks. Water there was 68 degrees. Ready had low expectations as there was so much light in the water I could see my fly when it hit the water and every strip back to the boat. Did make some magic happen. Found 2 small bass around 1:45 pm. Could actually see the fish come out of no where, rush toward the fly and strike it.

Only got the two strikes and hooked both. Fished a couple of different areas but there was just way to much sunlight and called it quits after about 2 hours.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in