Fishing reports June 1 - June 30
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Fishing reports June 1 - June 30

Default Fishing reports June 1 - June 30

Sounds as though some things are going well for those who are getting out. Hope that it continues. Have a trip to Belize coming July 1. Details to follow. Wishing all of you a blessed good weather & good fishing June.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Late in the day decided to head out to see if I could duplicate yesterdays fishing. It wasn't to be. Called three friends and none could go. Decided to leave the dock at 4:30 pm. and work the out going tide in the back bay. Was to only be light winds but I found it closer to 12 to 15. Water in the back was much dirtier than yesterday, probably due to the wind and wave action on the sod banks. Cruised around looking for my egret friends or baitfish and neither were to be found. First 6 stops produced zero hits. Moved to a rip line and caught two bluefish. (smaller than yesterday) and two small stripers.

Moved to another rip line where I picked up another, bluefish and another small striper, before heading to the ocean for some weakfish. Water in the ocean was a bit brownish and with the wind and chop fishing was a bit annoying, but fishable. Worked it for about and hour without a hit and called it an afternoon and was back at the dock at 6:30 pm. All fish today were caught on chartreuse/white clousers on intermediate line and released.

Glad you got a few Ray. I took yesterday off. Tide was too late for morning & too early for evening. High tide where I go was 7:30 this evening, so I left at 7 & fished the first hour of outgoing. Very pleasant conditions but no fish were active. We get dark here around 8:20 P.M. 3 other boat were there & a handful of bank fishermen. Using a gurgler on the 10wt & the "night" fly n the 12 wt. WF-For both. Very pleasant but left after dark. Tomorrow will be better hopefully.
    Ron Conner

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

I hear you Ron, Sometimes the tides just don't set up with the prime times. Was suppose to leave at 5:30 am. this morning with a father, son and friend light tackle trip, but the dad just wasn't feeling good from last nights meal so the son and friend were going to do the trip, but be a little late. While waiting I caught a 18 striper off my dock and missed another before they arrived.

We left around around 5:45 am and headed to the back bay to work the out going tide. Water was nice and clean and 63 degrees. On the way to fish some creek mouths I spotted some egrets working along a sod bank. Went over and sure enough there was some baitfish and some boils along the sod bank. Within the first few minutes we had a double hookup with bluefish on a swimming and a popping plug. Kept working about a 100 yard area and kept picking bluefish and stripers with the biggest bass going 26 inches.

We tried two other spots picking up a couple more blues and stripers, but with the water getting pretty low and more brownish we headed to the ocean for the last hour. We had 14 bluefish and 8 stripers so it was already a good trip and all the fish were released unharmed.

In the ocean I switched them over to rubber swim baits where they got one 17 1/2 inch fluke and 3 weakfish to 17 inches keeping a male that was hooked deep and bleeding pretty bad. It was a beautiful morning with cloud cover and no bright sun.

Awesome Ray! Glad to see the fish are being active for you. Hope it sticks for the summer and that dreaded brown water doesn't return.

Took my son out last evening for a little trip on the creek. Fished about an hour before the gnats got to him. No action. Saw some swirls but they might have been terrapins, not sure. Water was 70 on incoming. Just like getting out at this point. May try again today at a different spot, we'll see.

Thought this mornings trip was going to be a walk in the park. Left the dock at 5:00 am. with a one angler fly charter. We headed to the back bay to work the start of the out going tide at a number of creek mouth flows. Water was like a piece of glass and the gnats were bad. (we had to go to the spray) Fishing was dead at all the creeks and we only had one hit and a miss.

Moved to a rip point where there was a half way decent current and charter caught a nice 20 1/2 inch keeper size fluke on a 5 1/2 inch baitfish pattern that he called his go to fly. He was using a sinking line. Since he didn't want to keep it I took it home for a nice dinner.

I thought he might be going a little deep for the shallow water and he switched to an intermediate line and a clouser and caught 2 small stripers and missed a few hits. The back was fairly dead compared you yesterday morning and we did not see a single bluefish or any bait fish other than a tiny patch here and there.

We move to another rip line and caught one more small striper before we headed to the ocean. Ocean was flat with no wind and he caught 3 small weakfish to 16 1/2 inches back on the sinking line with a clouser before we called it a morning.

Went out on a solo trip today, couldn't convince my son to go with me. Too windy for the fly rod, but I was going for largemouth with plastics anyway. Didn't get any of them but did end up with a few white perch, a tiny yellow perch, and a ~10lb catfish that nearly broke the rod. All on a silver Panther Martin spinner and my tiny ultralight trout rod. Glad I brought it because the bassing was dead. Might have been too sunny, but the tide was perfect. Regardless of the wind, it was a beautiful day out there. Plenty of people activity on the water. Even the MP's looked liked they were enjoying the nice day.

Got out on a second trip Sunday afternoon. Weather man was way off from prediction the day before. Got to the dock at 4:30 pm and found a strong 15 to 17 mph south southeast wind blowing. Would of normally not wanted to do a fly charter as the wind would gust higher, but we had about another hour and a half of incoming tide and there were a few areas where I thought I could get some lee shore protection enough to cast. Left the dock at 4:30 with one person fly charter and headed to the back bay sod banks.

Really lucked out. First area I stopped had white herons and terns working on good size spearing. As I got in close we could see fish boiling and chasing bait. We had good solid fishing for about 2 hours and he got 7 stripers with this one being the best one and 8 nice bluefish of which he keep 4 for dinner.

It was not easy fishing as the wind was blowing us away from the sod bank. I had him actually fishing from the back of the boat so I could tuck in close with the bow and when he would cast the fly would carry off the back and not hook one of us. Everytime he hooked and fish and I would net it the wind would blow us a good distance away from the action. It was a full time job just keeping the boat in position.

When the tide changed the actions stopped dead, like someone turned off a switch. We tried a few other areas that normally produce but the wind was worse there and the water was getting dirty from all the wave action on the sod banks. He had a couple of hits and misses and landed one other small striper. Truthfully if we didn't find that early action we would of probably headed back to the dock as the wind was really bad and we were the only idiots out trying to fish. We were back at the dock by 8:30 pm.

It's more surprising when they get the forecast correct, anymore. It's always wrong.
    rob likes this.

Sound good to me Ray. Is that the norm, incoming?
    Ron Conner

There is no normal anymore. You just have to adjust to the conditions. It all depends on winds and tides. If it is windy it all depends from the direction and what the tide is as to where I can fish. Through the years of trial and error you just know where you might have a shot at catching. Even then is no sure thing. Ideally you want good tides at sunrise and sunset, but it doesn't always work out. With tide cycles changing everyday it is always a puzzle to figure out what will work. Bottom line is that you have to think like a fish and ask yourself. Where would you be if you were a fish looking for a meal. Sometimes and works and many times no matter how good a area looks or should be there are just not fish there. Toughest thing is clients want to fish at times that fit their schedule. I find most do not want to fish when it is totally dark no matter how good the fishing might be.

Left to dock at 5:00 am. this morning with a 2 person fly charter to fish the ocean on the incoming tide for some weakfish. Had a light northeasterly wind, it was nice and calm and the water was 61 to 62 degrees. We worked a couple of different areas and picked up 2 throwback fluke and 3 small weakfish 15 to 16/12 inches on chartreuse/white clousers using sinking line.

With it being fairly slow we headed to the back bay now that there was decent water in the back. Tried a couple of spots and picked two small bass and missed one. With the wind starting to pick up pretty good out of the southeast we moved to a new area were I found some baitfish with a couple of egrets picking on it. Here as the fishing picked up so did the wind. Weather man was wrong again as the wind looked to be 12 to 15 mph and we started to get white caps. The dad switched over to a spin rod and we started to get a mix of bluefish and small stripers.

We worked it a little longer than the 4 hour trip scheduled as you can just stop when you are catching and seeing fish chasing some bait. Ended up fishing till 9:45 am and headed back to the dock. Pretty good morning 2 fluke 3 weakfish 8 stripers and 10 bluefish. Nothing big, but good action on flies and plugs.
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 06-09-2017 at 03:55 PM.
    rob likes this.

Good to hear that you had another good day Ray. I was able to get out close to 1 AM this morning & all was right. They were frolicking & cavorting all along the bridge. Outgoing tide almost full moon & SW wind which is not normal & affected my anchor angle. Hooked 4, got 3 to the boat & missed another hit. Lots of action & had my hands full. A relief to catch some because I think I was 1 in the previous 5 trips. All about the same size, 30 -40 lbs. Lousy pics & will try to get them up soon. Getting up at 1:30 Sat. AM & if I can get out between the thundershowers I will. We have had some lousy weather. Had an early dark mangrove trip to the reef this evening which had to be cancelled.
    Ron Conner

Ron, you are a real iron man. Getting up that early everyday, I would be dragging butt by the end of the day. Hopefully you get some tides at a better time. Sounds like some nice fun size fish. Not too big that you have to fight them forever, but big enough to know you been in a fight. Hope you can get the picture working.

Was away racing remote control sailboats this weekend so no fishing for me this weekend. Got out this afternoon with a father and son light tackle charter. Not the best of tides, but we did our best. Left the dock at 4:30 PM and headed to the ocean to fish the beginning of the incoming tide for some weakfish first and then when there was some water in the back bay we were going to run to the back bay and fish.

Water in the ocean was 65 to 66 degrees and a bit brownish green. The wind started to pick up out of the south making a little annoying. No weakfish at all but did get 10 throwback fluke, a sea bass and a skate. With the wind picking up and making fishing tougher and before heading to the back bay we tried a couple of other spots and picked up 8 stripers including this nice keeper.

The bass were all decent size and we missed 4 or 5 others including another that looked like a keeper. Around 8:00 pm the wind started to easy up making for a nice ending and a beautiful sunset. We fished till 8:30 pm and never headed to the back bay as we didn't want to leave fish to find fish.

The sons bass were all smaller and the decent ones he did hook shook off on the way to the boat. The Dad had the hot rod and caught most of the decent fish.

Last edited by CapeMayRay; 06-12-2017 at 11:50 PM.
    rob likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in