Fishing ReportsAug. 1 - Aug. 31
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sparse grey

Thread: Fishing ReportsAug. 1 - Aug. 31

Default Fishing ReportsAug. 1 - Aug. 31

Summer is really rolling along. I have had a bit of a set-back. Had a thing removed from the top of my right foot. Biopsy came back with the bad one. Pretty serious removal of what was left plus some of the surrounding area. Pretty big hole in the top of foot, which doesn't have much flesh to begin with. That's the bad. The good today. Received the news that she got it all. Little bit of healing to do & I should make some of the new lobster season before the end of Aug. Hopefully a fish or three also. I will be looking for some good reports from up North & I do hope you guys & gals can have some good fishing trips. Sorry to lay some of my problems out, but thank goodness they have been few & far between. Hopefully I'll get the picture thing back soon. Tight lines.
    fdformicola likes this.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

rob

I had some thing removed from the back 2 years ago, really left a crater... but can imagine doing the same on a foot! heal up quick and glad you got a good report, Ron!

------------

Rob

Ron, speedy recovery. Sounds like a tough spot to have removed as you can't wear shoes to walk around. Has to be difficult just getting around, especially outside where there is all that nasty hard stuff to walk on. Even if you can walk on hard surfaces, they get red hot down there. Hope to hear you are back full speed soon.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

With water temperatures getting very warm I am forced to only fish there very best tides when the are around sunrise or sun set, especially when it comes to stripers which are my main targeted fish. Left the dock at 4:30 pm with a husband and wife charter to spin fish for stripers. We had the very last of the incoming tide and would fish the out going in the back bay. Water in the back was a very ugly brownish green with fairly poor visibility and was 75 degrees. (don't know why the water looked so bad) Could of been from all the rain last week but it was ugly and you could only see your lure down about a foot and half.

Conditions looked perfect. Light wind and a fair amount of very small bait fish (around 1 inch long stuff) at all the normal good spots. For the first three hours we worked about 10 great locations. (creek mouths etc.) and we had two hits. One on a popping plug and one on a swimmer. They missed both fish.

Finally in the last hour of fishing I found one small 200 yard area of sod banks that hat a few fish. The water was 2 1/2 to 4 feet deep and they caught 6 stripers out of 9 hits to make for a good ending to the trip, but up till then it was very painful for both them and myself as it was dead for the most part. For the guys wife it was the biggest fish she every caught and in the shallow water it gave a good fight as it could only run as there was no place for it to go deep.

I have mixed feelings going out on tonights trip. It would be nice to spread out the catching during the whole 4 hours. Just hope I can make some magic happen again as I expect conditions to be close to the same as last night.

Ron,
    Hope you heal quickly and can get back out there!

Thanks for the kind words. Healing is going well but s l o w l e y. Will not be snorkeling for lobsters in the Keys next week. Have to stick to bully netting, (& maybe some mangroves at night on the reef.)
    Ron Conner

Another difficult night of fishing at best. Left the dock at 4:30 pm with a father and son trip. Dad was to fly fish and son to use spin gear. Headed to the back bay with a perfect tide for fishing the shallow flats. Wind was much stronger than the 9 mph wind that was predicted. It was more like 12 to 15 from the south southeast. Water again was very ugly looking. Just an un-natural brownish color. His other two sons were out with Ken Kelly on his boat the Irish Fly as they could not all fish from the one boat.

Like the night before it was just plain super slow. On my boat we started casting into the wind at our first location and the father with limited fly casting skills switched over to a spin rod. (He would use the fly when when ever we worked a down wind spot) We had a hit in the first five minutes and then never got another hit until about 3 hours later and we covered a ton are area working normal good locations to death.

Ken work a totally different area. (we figured we would cover a lot of area and if one of us found a hot spot we could contact the other boat. Where he fished it was just as dead. He did get the first fish of the night for his group. It was a nice 27 1/2 inch bass that they got on a swimming plug. It gave hope that maybe things would turn on.

Just have to think that there are just not all that many stripers around to be caught. We saw good amounts of small spearing. Some of it seemed to be spooked by fish but the only thing I saw was what looked to be some super small bluefish in the 6 to 8 inch size jumping through it once in awhile.

Just about 7:30 pm we caught our fist striper of the night. (a little 17 incher) Just as we got our first fish it looked like we might have to shorten the trip as a big storm looked to be heading our way. It looked pretty nasty, but we saw zero lightning and decided to fish as long as we could. It came up on us fast, the wind shifted from the north, and felt cold and was blowing around 15 mph for about a half hour, but we never got a speck of rain. During this time when it got nasty and choppy we caught 2 more small stripers. Finally as it pasted out to sea the wind died down to nothing and we caught one last fish. (Our biggest of the night) before heading in.

Ken had another fish for his guys during this same nasty weather time as we both ended up fishing the same area together to finish the night. Charters had a good time, but as captains we expected it to be much better and take it harder than clients.

All I can really say is that fishing is extremely slow. We had two boats working as much area as you could cover in 4 hours with 6 fish to show for all our efforts. When you cover that much prime water, at prime time on a great tide you can only conclude that there are just very few fish around. When you are casting in 3 to 5 feet of water it is very hard to believe you can't put a presentation in the zone where fish will see it.

Sometimes you have to know when to fold them! Was to do a father and 12 year old daughter trip this evening. Dad wanted to fly fish and daughter with limited fishing skills was going spin fish.

With the super slow fishing the last two nights, ugly looking water and wind blowing around 15 mph I knew it would be another brutal night at best. I suggested to the dad that I expected the fishing to be poor. The dad still wanted to go out and give it a try, as he had only trout fished an wanted to catch his first saltwater fish on the fly. Luckily a thunder storm started coming across Delaware Bay and we would have to delay our trip about an hour or so till it passed. Now knowing he had no real fly casting skill it was an easy call and we decided they would try again another time when conditions were more favorable.
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 08-03-2017 at 04:55 PM.

Cancelled tonights trip with a father and his young son. Beautiful weather for fishing, but the fishing is so bad. Again with the water looking a sickly brown color even on high tide. With the poor fishing and them having limited fishing skills I gave them the option of go or no go and they decided they could have more fun doing something else rather than spending money to struggle for a few fish. Just plain sad to see conditions so poor. I don't even want to go out and do a personal trip. Guess this is the new summer normal as this will be the third straight year of the fishing dying away by August. I think it might be some type of algae as the water just looks brownish green. Not from silt and doesn't look anything like salt water should. Probably caused from all the rain last week running down river from up north.
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 08-04-2017 at 05:47 PM.

Convinced we have an algae bloom down here as our water has not changed from it's ugly brownish green color in two weeks. Been telling my charters that it is not worth the effort and money for them to do their trips. Four more decided not to do their trips. Last night a guy and his son insisted on going out as they were down on their vacation and had been on bad trips before and could take the pain if it was super bad.

We left the dock at 4:30 pm to fish a nice incoming tide. Water in the ocean was 75 to 76 but water was ugly brownish green. We actually did better than I expected. They caught 3 small fluke 13 to 17 inches, 6 sea robins to 10 inches and 1 small weakfish in the 2 hours that we worked the ocean.

With enough water in the back we headed to the back bay sod banks for the last two hours of the trip. No wind, beautiful conditions other than gnats and ugly brownish green water 76 to 79 degrees. Fishing was brutally slow. Dad had one 16 inch striper on a popping plug and son got a 7 inch snapper blue on a swimming plug. Really only had two the one decent hit. Saw a fair amount of very small baitfish and 6 to 8 inch blues playing with it. The little blues would also take some wacks at the plugs, but it was super dead with a good tide and great conditions. They were happy with their trip as it was better than nothing but for seasoned anglers it is not what you would consider good at all.

Cancelled tonights trip and not scheduled to do any trips until the next good tide cycle next week. Unless we see a dramatic change by then I will cancel them and it will just be a wait and see if fishing improves the rest of the season.

The new pattern for the last three years is that the water gets too warm about the last week in July and it kills the fishing for the whole rest of the year, until the water cools down. Even then the fishing is just slow.

At my dock, with the nice high water, I didn't hear a single pop around the marina dock lights while cleaning the boat. Normally with this tide I will see some fish feeding on the small bait fish and shrimp under the docks.
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 08-09-2017 at 12:58 PM.

Still cancelling all charters as the fishing is still too pitiful for them or me to have any fun. Did take the grand kids out Friday to look at dolphins and do a little fishing. Scrounged a few small fluke for the kids before one got a little sea sick from the small ground swell action in the ocean, causing us to shorten the trip. Once the boat got moving he was feeling better, so overall they had a good time.

Enjoyed the smiles on the Kids-of all ages {:-).
    Ron Conner

With cancelling all my fly charters because the striper and bluefishing is so poor I have had charters asking just how bad is it. Decided I better go out and check to see if fishing has improved. Water along the ocean looks a little better, but the water in the back bay still looks pretty ugly like it still has an algae bloom. Rather than waste a whole night, I left the dock at 7:00 pm. to fish a prime out going tide at the primest time, right as the sun was setting into the dark.

Went to the back bay to try some of the prime spots. Water was 78 to 79 degrees and still looked a bit ugly. Found the usually very small baitfish everywhere with little 6 to 8 inch bluefish chasing it around. They would snap at the fly and I even hooked one little one.

Fished for 1 1/2 hours and had two real hit and landed both fish. One on a chartreuse/white clouser and the other on a Bob's Banger popping fly. They were both small. (17 inches) and both had some red spots and fin rot.

Did talk to another guy fishing the back in a bay boat with an electric motor and he said he had nothing and he tried a number of good spot that should of produced and that the fishing was dead. He was fishing plugs and poppers.

On the way back to the dock I checked out the bridge lights to see if there was any bait fish or bass in the shadow lines and found it dead there too, so I headed in at 9:00 pm.

Feel confident that fishing is still pathetic and that cancelling charters (for the type fishing that I do) is the right thing. Glad I went out to confirm the poor fishing as your mind still has a hard time adjusting to the fact that the fishing is this poor. (You just can't believe fishing is this bad) Was thinking about trying again tonight with another great tide, but with fishing like this it is just no fun. I will watch the Little League World Series where at least there is some decent action.

Ray, so sorry things are going that way for you. Do hope you get some relief.
    Ron Conner

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in