Fishing reports Sept. 1 - Sept. 30
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Fishing reports Sept. 1 - Sept. 30

Default Fishing reports Sept. 1 - Sept. 30

I am still recovering. Doing okay but no fishing for awhile longer. Hope you can get out some this month. Good luck & fair winds.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Fishing remains pathetic here in Cape May for stripers and blues. I have canceled the last 20 trips in a row and fishing is still too poor to do charters. My brother was up from Florida for Labor day with his son-in-law and they wanted to try fishing even though I warned them fishing was bad. Friday night was a perfect tide late in the afternoon with no wind and just perfect conditions. The water temps in the back bay were 76 to 79 degrees.

First hour, all we had was some hits from 6 inch bluefish. With three of us fishing for about and hour and covering a half mile of sod banks I hooked a nice striper, on an popping fly that I could of kept with a bonus tag as it started September 1st, but let it go as there just too few of them around. (I was really shocked to find a decent fish)

During the next hour we covered about another half mile of sod banks and we caught two 6 inch bluefish I got one on the fly and Lane got one on a popping plug and near the two hour mark I managed another small bass on the fly.

During this time I hooked two sea gulls that picked up my popping fly. I had to fly them into the boat. Put a towel over there heads and un-hook them and Lane hooked one on a popping plug. I was kidding them that we were on a birding trip as the bird action was better than the fishing.

Finally in the third hour of fishing Lane caught a small striper on a popping plug. My brother caught no fish the whole trip other than one 6 inch bluefish.

The bird action remained hot. I was top gun and actually caught two sea gulls at one time. One flew down and got tangled in my line as I tried to pull the fly away and another came down and picked up the fly so I had to reel in two. (never have had two on at once) Lane also hooked another gull. It is the dumb young ones that think your fly or lures is something they can eat. At one time we had probably a 100 of them flying over us and trying to eat our presentations.

Fishing sucks, Birding is hot action.

Tally for the night with three anglers fishing for 3 hours:

We had a total of 3 decent hits and hooked all three stripers. That is one hit an hour.

6 sea gulls
    4 6 inch snapper blues
    3 small stripers

This is what a good trip is now a days and why I won't take out charters unless the fishing improves.
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 09-02-2017 at 10:27 PM.
    rob likes this.

maybe they are attacking your lures because there is not enough food for them

turn the poachers in & stop the waste

just a little more C&R
    let fishin be fun
    KILL ONLY WHAT YOU EAT
    BUY AMERICAN
    XVlll Abn Corp 65' to 67'

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

I think you are right. They are the young laughing gulls and there is very little for them to eat anymore that is natural to their diet and there are not enough dumpsters to go around. They pretty much have cleaned off every mussel and green crab off the floating docks at my marina. For the last 5 years we see not growth where they use to be filled with full size mussels. I have never seen them as aggressive as the other night. The minute anything would hit the water they were swarming over it and trying to pick it up.

Ron, I hope you are playing it safe and getting out of the keys with this big storm heading your way. Wish you luck and be safe. It looks like it will not be pretty no matter which path it takes.

rob

Hope Ron made it through safely... I'm sure he wasn't in the keys, but if I recall correctly, his place is on Cudjoe Key which took a direct hit! Same key where I stayed for Tarpon 3 years back.

------------

Rob

We are fine in our Melbourne Florida home. Cudjoe Key took the eye of Irma & there is much destruction & debris. Sean, our son, in down there communicating by satellite phone. No power, water, & cell towers are down. We will not be going down until roads our opened, & power & water is on. Hopefully within a week. Sean tells us our hoe is in one piece & our rental property is partially gone. Nothing to do except wait until we can get down.
    rob and Red Eye Nester like this.
    Ron Conner

rob

Glad you're safe, Ron!

------------

Rob

Sorry to hear about the damage, but happy to hear you are safe. Best of luck with putting the pieces back together and hope life can get back close to normal as soon as possible.

Glad to hear you and Ardis are safe, Bobbi and I were worried when it hit Cudjoe. Get the foot back in shape, Ray and Bobbi
    Ray Adams

Thanks for the good wishes. We are okay & getting more anxious to get down & see first hand what we must do. Good to hear from you Raymond. I talk to Jeanette & Frank Ono on occasion. Yes Frank, 92 or 93, is still with us. Lost your #. if you have mine, call or text or [email protected]
    Ron Conner

Any good size sea gulls?

There is more sport in reeling in the hooked seagulls as they fly all over the place and put up a better fight than what fish are around. They are a bit of a pain to try and release. Getting the towel over their head and grabbing them without them pecking you is a bit sporty at times.

I personally haven't wet a line since the 1st as there is really nothing of fun size to catch. I would think about going freshwater fishing as the fish are bigger than what is around in the salt right now. Only problem is the mosquitoes are biting good too. I will wait for a few cooler October nights to freshwater fish.

Still trying to decide if I want to leave the boat in for so called striper season, which down here is a joke anymore as we don't seem to see any migrating stripers till after Thanks Giving the last few years.

Went out the other day with another fly fishing buddy just to see it things have improved. We had a great tide and worked the ocean for about an hour getting a couple of 6 inch bluefish and then moved to the back to fish the out going tide working some prime spots and found more 6 inch blues. Did have one very small striper come up and hit fly close to the boat but didn't get a hook up. Again the the most bait and largest bait fish was around my boat at the dock.

Will probably keep the boat in for the so called striper season. Not for the striper run but in hopes of catching a few redfish or speckled trout as I will probably better shot at them then stripers as the water being so warm it will be long time before stripers feel the need to start migrating.

rob

wait, that's not a complete report... what fly did you use for those snappers?

------------

Rob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in