Reports March 1-March 31
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reports March 1-March 31

Cool Reports March 1-March 31

Okay guys this should be your time. Johnny has been seeing some activity at daybreak around Corsans Inlet. I hope the back waters warm up quickly. I've had great fishing the past 2 days with an OLD friend from the late 60"s. He came on a ferry from Ft Myers to Key West. We had 2 trips & all he did was catch fish. Spotted sea trout, lane snappers, mangroves & 2 large sharks, one a nice blacktip. On the fly I had trout, ladyfish & the first fly rod by boat tarpon. A little smaller than the following picture. Whoops, wrong picture. This is a permit caught last year . Have a great month.

Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Spent a long wkend at my brothers place in Swaunie Florida or the gulf. Beautiful weather and fishing was good, did not get to do much fly fishing as there were 4 in the boat. Did get sheephead,redfish,sand trout,sea bass, and silver trout. Nothing big but they hit live shrimp and gulp as soon as it hit the water.Had a nice fish fry.Spent 2 evenings hunting wild hogs and killed 3.Brought all the meat home. The kind of trip that you don"t want to end.
    Captain John Ware
    20 ft. Grady White "Second Chance"
    Higbees Marina, Fortescue

16ft. Lowe Roughneck, prowling the darkness Absecon to Cape May.

GB Glad you had a good-un. Hunting hogs with what?
    Ron Conner

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

This is the first hog I shot. This time I used a .270 rifle. I also shot one more the same size and one a little bigger. All sows, they are the best eating. My brothers hunting lease is over run with them right now.I also got a long shot at a coyote,but shot just under.
    Captain John Ware

John, will we be seing some hog hair flies???? You didn't miss anything up here.

Default Mosquito Lagoon Florida Report 3/5/07

Schools of redfish continue to roam the shallow flats of Mosquito Lagoon. In addition to schools of 20-200 fish, there are plenty of single reds to be found in the same areas. The water level has risen in the past few days and water temperatures are pushing 70 degrees. The fish are active and targeting small crabs and shrimp. If you can get a small soft plastic in front of them, they will eat it. Fishing with chunk baits, however, has not been producing as well lately because the fish are so focused on the small crabs.
    Sunday, I fished the Mosquito Lagoon with Bill and Jennifer from New Jersey. There were relatively few boats out for a weekend and we found ourselves alone at the first stop with a large school of black drum. The fish were not in the mood to cooperate, however, and even refused fresh blue crab. We followed them for a short while before they eventually disappeared into deeper water. At our next stop, a porpoise decided he also wanted to work the sandbar we were working and did a thorough job of scaring off all the fish. We moved again and Bill was the first to score with a 35" redfish. Jennifer followed up with another red she caught with a gold spoon. The winds picked up and we continued to see feeding reds but conditions made sight casting to them difficult.

Monday, I fished the father and son team of Dave and Mike. Again, we started out trying to convince the black drum to eat. We had one bite but the hook did not stick. Just like the previous day, they stayed around only a short while before moving deep. The breeze pickup up and action was slow for several hours. Around mid day, the winds died and suddenly we were surrounded by redfish tails in every direction. The calm winds lasted on a short while, however. As soon as the wind began to blow, the tails went down. We did manage to catch one red before the feeding frenzy was over. We continued poling the flats and had a flounder and
    a nice trout shake loose and saw plenty of redfish the rest of the day. Although we did not set any catching records, we certainly had a fun and entertaining day.

Tuesday, JR and his twelve year old son Austin from Oregon, fished with me in Mosquito Lagoon. Both were excellent fishermen. We had to overcome cloudy and windy conditions most of the day. Dad caught the first two redfish on a gold DOA CAL tail.

Austin followed up with three reds of his own.

The sun came out at the end of the day and they had several shots at tailing redfish but only had one more bite.Poor weather kept me off the water for the rest of the week. This week's weather is supposed to be excellent and I am looking forward to some excellent days on the water. Some clear skies and light winds shoudl allow us to get some shots at tailing fish with the flyrod.

Capt. Chris Myers
    Central Florida Sight Fishing Charters
    http://www.floridafishinglessons

Quote Originally Posted by CapeMayRay
    John, will we be seing some hog hair flies???? You didn't miss anything up here.
    Ray it was sure nice to wet a line. I did a little fly fishing from shore with no luck. The fish were stacked up in holes on creek bends I couldn"t get to by foot. I never gave the hog hair a thought I had plenty
    Captain John Ware

Been anxious to get out and try some where, but the cold and the wind, I haven't even thought about it. Won't be long.

Capt Chris Nice report & pics. I'll be there next week.
    Ron Conner

Give me a call if you need any info. 321-229-2848

Capt. Chris M

Default Mosquito Lagoon Florida Report 3/13/07

During the past week, we have had some days with spectacular weather along with some days that were less than ideal. The fish, however, have been plentiful. The water still remains low in Mosquito Lagoon and the numbers of mullet present have been increasing each day.

Last Wednesday, I was on the water dawn till dusk with two trips. In the morning, I fished with Paul and his son Lee. It was a perfect morning and we started the day trying to catch some black drum. Paul had one fish on briefly but the hook pulled and the drum left the flat. We switched our focus to redfish and found about twenty different schools throughout the morning. The fish were very shallow and extremely spooky giving us only one or two shots before getting out of range. Paul and Lee managed to fool a few fish using 4" DOA CAL tails in gold and Arkansas Shiner.

Just as I picked up Jerry and Joe for their afternoon fly fishing charter, the wind started to blow. We had no problem finding the fish but getting close to them was next to impossible. We got a few shots at some reds and big trout but the wind was a bit too much. Near the end of the day, the guys put down their long rods and switched to spinning gear and saved us from a shutout. Jerry landed a redfish and Joe followed up with a flounder, both on 4" CAL tails.

Thursday, Brian and Shane took a break from their Bike Week activities and we spent the morning fishing Mosquito Lagoon. We had multiple shots at black drum and reds throughout the morning but they were reluctant to eat. Our final tally was three nice redfish.

Friday, Bill and Jennifer from Kansas made their first trip to Mosquito Lagoon. We found some happy and hungry redfish and black drum. Jennifer's first fish, a large black drum came off right at the boat as did the next one, a big red on Bills line. Jennifer then caught a smaller black drum and followed it up with a monster redfish.

Bill followed up with some nice reds of his own but, as his wife kept reminding him, none of them were quite as big as hers.

The couple caught five reds all over 30" before the wind started to blow and the action slowed down.

Sunday was supposed to be a day of fly fishing with Tim, from Maryland, and his brother-in-law Wayne. We had not been on the water 30 minutes when the wind cranked up and never let up the entire day. We had consistent shots at both schooling and tailing redfish throughout the day but the winds made even spin casting difficult. We did get four reds to the boat including a double header on 4" CAL tails.

Monday was the exact opposite of the previous day with no wind, clear skies, and hungry fish. Bob and Pam from New Jersey enjoyed a Chamber of Commerce day on the Mosquito Lagoon. We saw lots of schools of redfish, a good number of tailing fish, and a few big trout. Bob got a trout and four redfish and Pam landed two reds. All were caught on 4" CAL tails in gold, Arkansas Shiner, and Electric Chicken.

Capt. Chris Myers
    http://www.floridafishinglessons.com

Default Braggggin Day

Went Fri. and found some reds. In two hours I landed six reds and a nice 26" snook all on a crab fly. I wish this was the norm but usually I dont even get a bump. Couldn't wait till the next day. At dawn I was back to the same spot and never had a strike. There is always tomorrow. You Northern guys think "BASS". Mid April, off the the Bahammmmmas for some bonefishing. I'll give a report when I get back.

Tom Good safe trip to you.
    Ron Conner

Great to see some one catching fish. You southern guys are killing us as we sit up here and just wait. We had a few warm days with the mainland in the 60's but with the wind off the cold ocean we have had temps in the 40's with the last two days a strong northeaster with some heavy rains. Seems like two steps forward and two steps back. Not even any decent reports from bait guys. Hope things will start looking better by the end of the month.

Default Mosquito Lagoon Florida Report 3/25/07

During the past two weeks, high winds have made for some tough fishing in east central Florida. A cold front last weekend dropped the temperatures into the 40's but over the past week, they have climbed steadily reaching the 80's this weekend. The rising temperatures have brought even more bait fish to the flats and clear skies the past few days offered some great sight fishing opportunities.
    On Wednesday, the 14th, Bruce from Orlando brought along his son and daughter to fish the Mosquito Lagoon. The day started out calm and we were able to find a nice school of black drum. Bruce's 11 year old daughter, Hannah, hooked a black drum between 10 and 15 lbs and did an excellent job of fighting it by herself. We were able to get a few more casts at the drum but could not get another bite before they moved off. The wind picked up and the action died and we headed in with Hannah having caught the only fish.
    Two days later, Casey and Alec from Virginia had planned on a day of fly fishing for redfish. The winds were blowing about 10 knots when we started and quickly increased to 20. A heavy cloud cover prevented us from having any chance of seeing the fish before we were right on top of them. Despite the unfavorable conditions, the couple stuck with their fly rods and made the best of a bad situation. Although they did not catch any fish, they did get to practice casting under windy conditions and hopefully learned a few tips that will help them on an upcoming bonefishing trip.
    Sunday, Glenn and Aaron along with 10 year old Grayson faced tough conditions on the Mosquito Lagoon. A cold font had blown through the day before dropping the water temperature 15 degrees. On a windy 47 degree morning, we set out to find some redfish. Within the first ten minutes, Grayson caught his first redfish.

During the next couple hours, however, we only saw a few fish. By mid morning, we found a flat holding a few schools of redfish but the high winds made both casting and keeping up with them difficult. Grayson caught a second red with a DOA crab before we decided to call it a day.
    High winds kept me off the water this week until Friday. I was joined by Charlie and his wife Linda for two days of great fishing weather. Blue skies, warm temperatures, and moderate winds, just what we had been hoping for. We saw tons of fish and managed to catch some of them both days. On day one, Linda broke the ice with a trout caught on a DOA CAL in Arkansas shiner with a Woodies Rattle. Charlie was next with a 38" redfish.

We moved to a flat holding a good number of large trout and Charlie was able to fool one with a gold CAL tail. Linda used the same bait to catch her redfish nearby.

On day two, we found a school of feeding redfish in some muddy water. The couple each caught two reds using spinner baits and a DOA crab.

When the sun came up, we located some bigger redfish and spent quite some time trying to get them to eat. Despite our efforts, the big fish were not in the feeding mood so we moved on. During the rest of the day, we got multiple shots at both redfish and large trout. Linda was able to make a perfect cast to a redfish with her CAL tail and brought her third one of the day to the boat.
    The spring trout spawn has brought some large females onto the shallow flats. The fish are holding in clean water with a mixture of grass and sand holes and a good supply of mullet. Soft plastic jerk baits and the DOA Baitbuster can get you a trophy sized trout. These fish are much more fragile than redfish so please handle them with care and return them to the water quickly. Smashing down the barbs on your hooks will make catch and release easier.
    Capt. Chris Myers
    http://www.floridafishinglessons.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in