Fishing Reports Nov. 1 - Nov. 30
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Reports Nov. 1 - Nov. 30

Default Fishing Reports Nov. 1 - Nov. 30

Sorry I am late but could not get on last night. Ordered a new motor for my Bay Boat today & will be installed next week. Hopefully will have some good news in the future. We are functioning fairly well & are hoping for this to turn into a memory & nothing more. Hope that y'all get some decent weather & enjoy this time of year.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

rob

Glad to hear things are looking up (I hope?!), and do pray that recovery goes as smooth as possible.

Plan on hitting the sand in the next few weeks. So hope weather and fish cooperate.

------------

Rob

Ron, hope life can get back to close to normal soon. With a new motor on the boat you can always go out fishing to forget all the problems and just fish every day. You have to get it all done by winter as we will soon be finished up here for the season and have to depend on your winter reports to keep our heads on straight.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Still stuck in the same old rut. Weather is still too warm for this time of the year and really no signs of any decent amounts of baitfish to support any kind of migrations.

Buddy Paul and I decided to go out late in the afternoon as it was so nice. We left the dock around 4:00 pm with a fair southeast wind and headed to the inlet. Water in the ocean was around 61.5 and we fished the incoming tide. Water was still pretty ugly brown for some reason and you just couldn't see your fly down too far. No signs of life bird or bait wise. We did find 3 small bass outside the surf line around a small rock jetty, but that was it 3 quick hits and hookups all within 5 minutes of the first fish. Also got one small 8 inch bluefish.

With the working the ocean for about an hour and a half we decided to head to the back back to fish the sod banks. Still no real signs of any bait fish. The few bait fish we did see were all very small. The water in the back was around 61 to 62 degrees. The wind died down, we had a beautiful sunset and we scrounged 4 more stripers out of 6 bass hits that we got. Plus we had two more of those super small bluefish.

One of the stripers I missed was my own fault. I had 10 lb test leader on and I knew there was a good wind knot in the leader and I was too lazy to change it figuring that there was only small fish around. Should of changed it. Had a little better fish on and the pressure popped it.

Overall it was a beautiful night to be out. November and never needed more than a sweatshirt and we did scrounge out a few fish. Small fish are better than no fish.
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 11-03-2017 at 01:45 PM.

Friday was another beautiful day for November so I had to go out fishing again. Left the dock at 4:00 pm with fishing buddy Larry and again headed to the ocean. Water was a little cleaner than the day before with a little better visibility and it was around 62 degrees. Picked a couple of small stripers along the inlet jetty along with a 8 inch bluefish and then moved along the beach were we picked up 3 mores small stripers. All fish were caught on clousers using sinking line.

Like the day before we moved to the back and worked sod banks. There we worked the incoming tide along the sod banks in 2 to 4 feet of water and scrounged out 8 more stripers to 22 inches. Water in the back was also 62 degrees and everything was caught on clousers using intermediate line.

Overall it was another fun warm night. Only needed a sweatshirt even when we came back to the dock at 7:30 pm. Never saw any signs of any bird activity or bait fish the whole time. Just a few small bay anchovies or spearing. Small bait fish=small game fish. Don't think there is anything decent for large fish to eat other than small sea bass or tog.
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 11-04-2017 at 12:11 PM.

With the cold front coming through tomorrow night I decided with the nice weather today to get out and do a personal trip. Buddy Paul and I left the dock around 2:00 pm to work the outgoing tide. When we left the dock the water was 57 degrees and the wind was still blowing fairly good off the ocean so we decided to head to the back bay and work the prime spots in the back bay. (creek mouths and point rip lines) Using clousers on intermediate line, We worked 8 different prime spots that looked text book perfect and between the two of use we had one hit with Paul hooking up with a 21 inch striper.

Conditions couldn't of been better. Water was clean, with good flows, but no signs of any bait fish and definitely no fish where there should of been. After 2 hours of frustrating fishing I decided to go to the ocean as the wind had let up a bit, to see if we could salvage out a slow trip.

Inlet still had a good incoming swell and wave action. We headed out and worked along the beach outside the surf line fishing in 6 to 3 feet of water. In the next hour and half we caught 6 more small stripers on chartreuse/white clousers using sinking line and for me my day was made when I caught a nice 18 inch speckled trout that I released after getting a couple of pictures. We left the fish still biting but we both had to be back home for dinner at 6:00 pm.

It was a great afternoon, weather was super for this time of the year and we saw 3 different bald eagles while fishing.

No pictures as my bass barn thumbnail file is full and I can't figure out how to delete some of the files so that I can add new ones.

With the cold front going through Friday night and the temps below freezing and to hold close to that, I didn't think I would be doing any fishing in the next couple of days. Around noon today the temps got up to around 35 degrees and I called a fishing buddy to see if he wanted do something crazy and go out in the cold to see if we could start were I left off on Thursday and see if we could catch some more speckle trout. We decided to go. We left the dock at 1:30 pm and headed out to the ocean. It was dam cold on the run out to the ocean and felt a lot warmer when I cut back the throttle to stop.

Water in the ocean was 52.47 but the air was a lot colder. On our first casts we each caught a small striper on clousers and sinking lines and got the skunk out of the boat right off the bat. Fishing was pretty steady and with the sun shining bright with no wind it was pretty comfortable even with wet hands from the fly line. After about an hour of fishing the sun tucked in behind clouds and the wind shifted from the south west and it felt a lot colder. We fished and caught small stripers till 4:00 pm. We were both feeling pretty cold by that time and decided we decided head back to the dock. It was a successful trip. No Specks but we did get 19 schoolie size stripers to warm our spirits.

No signs of any bait fish, birds or any larger fish. Even if and when some larger migrate down here, there is little to nothing for them to feed on other than maybe small sea bass or tog. Going give the fishing a break tomorrow and go race remote control sailboats and hope the weather warms up a bit.

Let me be the first to wish you all a very blessed, peaceful, happy & family blessed THANKSGIVING day. If you have been here awhile you do know that this is my favorite holiday of the year. Blessings to you all.
    Ron Conner

Same to you!

Haven?t really been fishing at all since spring, hope to get out before it starts freezing over. Took a vacation day tomorrow, maybe will get some trouting in if the rain and/or wind doesn?t screw it up.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it...
    I am haunted by waters" -Norman Maclean

"Bill, strange things are afoot at the Circle-K" - Ted "Theodore" Logan

The more you learn, the less you really know...
    think about that

Ecclesiastes 10:2
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
    but the heart of the fool to the left.

rob

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Ty R View Post
    Same to you!

Haven?t really been fishing at all since spring, hope to get out before it starts freezing over. Took a vacation day tomorrow, maybe will get some trouting in if the rain and/or wind doesn?t screw it up.

so many plans, so little time.

all I managed was a few trips for backbay tog, and that was it. My summer and fall flyfishing was shot for a variety of reasons.

(yeah, yeah, excuses, excuses)

------------

Rob

Last Thursday morning was doing a photo shoot with an guy writing a book about salt and freshwater fly fishing in New Jersey. He wanted to get a few shots of the area and pick my brain on the fishing down here in Cape May. He had fished Cape May many times but no in the last 10 years and he was shocked to hear how things had changed. He asked where are all the boats fishing the rips, etc. etc. After i filled him in he was confused on what he might even write about the fishing as over all during the year the fishing has changes so much from what it use to be when he fished the area.

For me personally I hit another bump in the road. Thursday I was feeling some kidney pain and had a slight fever. Went to emergency room and found I had a blood clot blocking the artery to the left kidney. After tests they found the kidney was pretty much shot and since it was caused by a blood clot they wanted me to go to Penn University Hospital where they handled my heart problem last year. Ended up in the hospital on the same exact date as last year. They have done a zillion tests and put me on a number of drugs to thin my blood and adjust my heart rate. Seem my heart has stated to A-Fib super fast every once in awhile. Still here as of today and looks like I might be here until after Thanks Giving. Plan is to adjust my doses to the levels they want but it looks like more restricted diet and more doctor visits will be the new norm. Tough to get older but it beats the alternative.

Hoping to get home soon, sneak in a couple of trips before pulling the boat get ready for Christmas.

Thanks for being around guys. Don't hear from you much & good to know your around. Ray, what in the wide word of sports is happening. So sorry to hear of your dilemmas & hope things get better fast. Please keep us informed & I wish you blessings from our saviour.
    BTW guys. Boat has a new engine, gauges, wiring, helm & is at detailer getting the scratches filled & buffed & covered in awlgrip. Also dark PM a few days ago I was 1/2 & today dark PM was 1/3. Eat lots of turkey & catch a fish or three.
    Ron Conner

Mistake. Today was dark AM.
    Ron Conner

rob

Great to hear, Ron.

Ray, not joking... go vegan (except fish, just sayin' )

It makes a huge difference in blood-heart numbers without medication. My wife is going off statins as a result after being sky high a couple of years ago.
    My numbers are down 30 points since March.

Praying for a quick recovery and good health into the New Year!

------------

Rob

I hear you Rob. They now say they might have me out of here by Thursday Morning. This all is from the b section dissection last year. Was at my Cardiologist just last month and every thing was good. All my blood tests showed perfect so the whole thing was out of the blue. Thanks for the well wishes. I am tough cookies and will not go down without a fight and do what ever they tell me to do. Everyone have a good Thanks Giving.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in