Fishing Reports Dec 1 to Dec 31
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fishing Reports Dec 1 to Dec 31

Default Fishing Reports Dec 1 to Dec 31

Fished Saturday

Beautiful sunny day with no wind so I had to get out and fish. Paul and I left the dock at 11:45 and figure we would fish the warmest part of the day. Fishing conditions were perfect except for the lack of fish. We headed out to the ocean to work the incoming tide. Paul had two hits and landed both fish with the biggest around 20 inches. Both fish were caught within 5 minutes between each.

I never got a single hit the whole trip. Water was from 49 to 52 degrees and both fish were caught in along the surf in 5 to 6 feet of water and we fished till 3:00 pm when it clouded up a bit and got a little cooler. We tried 4 other spots but they were dead. All the other boats we saw striper fishing were all coming from areas well north of the inlet with many running up to Sea Isle and Ocean City. Didn't see anyone cleaning fish back at the dock. Sure was beautiful day for this time of the year and felt good to be back out on the water

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Monday was one of those perfect fishing days down here in Cape May for this time of the year. After doing some yard work this morning I had to go fishing this afternoon. Called around and no one could make the trip today so I had to do a solo one.

Got down to the dock and talked to guys on a boat that did well with fish up to 40 lbs (lot of nice breeding stock gone) They said the fish were on the surface about a mile off the beach.

I left the dock at 2:30 right around dead low. With the super low tide I could barely get my boat out of the slip and marina. Once out I headed to the ocean and found the water 49 to 50 degrees. No signs of any boats or any bird play as far as I could see, so I headed in to the beach to work some structure up close to the surf line.

After about the third cast I hooked up a small striper and got the skunk out of the boat. Worked this area super hard the rest of the afternoon and got 8 stripers and lost one that broke me off in the structure. Had three fish from 20 to 23 inches and the rest were small down to 16 inches. They all hit chartreuse/white clousers fished on sinking line.

Did try 3 other spots, but found them dead and got no hits or fish. It was just one of those super nice days for this time of year. With no wind, even as the sun started going down there was no big drop in air temperature making it easy to fish with bare hands.

Was treated to a super nice sunset and was back at the dock by 5:00 pm

Called it an end to the season today. Just when the stripers seem to be down here it is just getting too cold. Decided to pull the boat today as it was cold, with no wind. Wanted to get the boat home, take off all the gear and get it ready to take over to Hereford Inlet Marine to be winterized and bottom painted for next season.

Currently watching it snowing right now and tonight and tomorrow they are calling for 3 to 5 inches of snow. I am happy with my decision and look forward to some fishing in Florida this winter.

This time of the year I got too many things going with the family and zipping over the water in an open bay boat just to catch a few big stripers only to release them anyway in weather in the 30's isn't as much fun as it was when I was younger and had a big boat with cabin and heat.

Still have a shot at some small bass off the surf If we get an nice day. There is always freshwater fishing as with this cold weather the crappies, pickerel and bass have been hitting well on small wooly buggers and clousers fished slow and deep with sinking lines.
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 12-08-2017 at 04:06 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Sorry, been out of town & computer access nil. Thanks Ray for helping out & sorry your year is over & hope next will be more fruitful. Will be tied up for a week or so in the Melbourne area with lousy or no computer access. Will step in when I can. No serious issues.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in