Fishing Reports Jan 1-Jan 31 2018
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fishing Reports Jan 1-Jan 31 2018

Default Fishing Reports Jan 1-Jan 31 2018

Hope all have a blessed New Year. We are having a cold spell here. Down to 67 & will be in the 50's by Friday. Hope all are well & thinking about fishing, planning a fishing trip or tying some killer flies. I was 1/2 last night & just getting ready to welcome the New Year with the first tarpon of 2018, Blessings to all.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

rob

Happy New Year, Ron!

(so cold, my keyboard is slowing down due to an intentionally inserted Apple virus )

the last time I remember it being so unexpectedly cold was when we had a week of 10F weather
    in early December one year. I remember this because wife and daughter headed down to Ft. Lauderdale
    and I had planned to do a lot of flyfishing on a local river... every access, pool, flat etc was frozen over
    or the trail next to the river so icy it was unfit for walking. But this extended spell is crazy.
    Last edited by rob; 01-01-2018 at 06:50 AM.

------------

Rob

Happy New Year to you, Ron and Rob. This cold weather really make it difficult to do anything outside. A friend of mine was still doing well with crappie, pickerel and largemouth, as of last week, using a small clouser and sinking line, counting it down 12 to 15 seconds. That's over now as the lake is frozen. I was suppose to race remote control sailboats today if the weather permitted but that was frozen over too. It is that time of the year when I start pulling in gear from the garage and cleaning and getting it ready for spring while watching football.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Thank you guys & good to hear from you. I remember that time Rob & a little tough to sail on the ice although they do that at crazy speeds. You ride & drive. Think you should pass on the Ray. :-)
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

With all the cold weather and snow that we had earlier in the month, even the freshwater fishing has been impossible as the lakes and ponds have have been ice covered. Today it was a little warmer than normal for this time of the year, but not nice enough to fish unless you were up north and could fish some trout streams.

I went to the Fly Show up in Edison today. Luckily I got there early as the place was packed and parking was tough. Hard to believe there are that many fly fishermen. They all must of come out of the wood work. I haven't been up to the show in a few years and it was fun to see many old friends and even a couple of my charter customers. Really didn't need that much but ended up buying some fly lines, and a bunch of fly tying stuff that I was getting a little low on. Ended up spending a little over $350.00 They really had a lot of destination fly fishing guides from around the world. They all looked super places to fish. This time of the year anything related to fishing looks and feels great.

With the football play offs I used the time while watching the games to work on cleaning and getting my fishing gear ready for this coming season.
    Trying to get as much done for my Florida trip and then I don't have the mad dash as I get close to putting the boat in the water.

rob

Ray,

I went to the show up in Edison Friday, as well. Rege drove up with me, as well as another club member. Somehow we missed you

Just a few folks and we didn't stay late, got to chat up with a few guys from Long Island, since I will be hitting some spots there this year (one daughter plus, more importantly, my grandsons, live out there )

Was only the second time I went, the first time going on 17/18 years ago. Lots of great tyers, lots of destination outfitters, lots of demos.

Can't imagine how busy it was on Saturday given how crazy it was Friday (which I had heard was supposed to be lighter than Saturday LOL).

Got out my tying gear again, working on some baitfish patterns again. Been a couple of years, so of course some of my stuff is scattered and still missing in action... DOH!

------------

Rob

Don't know how I missed you as I bumped into Reggie a couple of times at the show. He said he drove up to the show with the guy he was with and walking around the show with. He didn't say he drove up with anyone else. Will catch up with you some other time. Ray

rob

Ray, clearly I was just the hired help LOL.

I wasn't with Reggie and Howard except when we met up for lunch.

------------

Rob

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in