Is this a FL forum?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is this a FL forum?

Default Is this a FL forum?

Wondering if any of you do some fly for Striper or anything else in the back bays of NJ. Love to fly fish, but the best I have done is sub 1lb panfish out of the lakes. I have tried some clausers in the DE bay from my boat years ago. No luck. I would love to try for striper or anything else in the marshes from my kayak this year. Im sure a small Striper on a #8 would prove a tough adversary.
    So that the record of history is absolutely crystal clear. That there is no alternative way, so far discovered, of improving the lot of the ordinary people that can hold a candle to the productive activities that are unleashed by a free enterprise system.
    Milton Friedman

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

rob

we do, and kayak fishing is a GREAT way to hit the back. As you know, you dress for the water temp and not the air temp. It's a little early but I'm reports
    are starting to drift in.

stripers, blues, weakies are all good marsh, backbay targets.

------------

Rob

What technique and or flies work well? Floating, sinking line? Large clausers or other flies? #8 enough rod for the job?
    So that the record of history is absolutely crystal clear. That there is no alternative way, so far discovered, of improving the lot of the ordinary people that can hold a candle to the productive activities that are unleashed by a free enterprise system.
    Milton Friedman

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

rob

Quote Originally Posted by naytep View Post
    What technique and or flies work well? Floating, sinking line? Large clausers or other flies? #8 enough rod for the job?
    Depends somewhat on time of year, and definitely where you fish.

I would say, in general, and 8weight is good to start with, using 3-4" deceivers and/or clousers. Most folks go with a 9 or 10' 9wt rod, but an 8 can work. If you're fishing from shore a float or intermediate will generally work ok, unless
    you are dredging deep, nearby channels, otherwise a sink tip or full sink could be used to get down deeper, say if the water depth is approx 15', which doesn't happen
    too many places from shore.

Top water is useful if you have evidence of bunker or other top water action occurring. But a lot more happens below the surface. If you can fish the outflow of a creek,
    then don't overlook crab or shrimp patters, which is the prevalent year-round food source out of those.

edit: looked back and recalled you want to fish from a kayak

in that case you may want to have a sink tip or full sink in your arsenal, but if you're fishing skinny water then an intermediate will work fine.
    And yes, an 8 wt. can work fine from a yak.
    Last edited by rob; 04-11-2018 at 09:52 AM.

------------

Rob

Yep, what Rob said. Also I do all my salt flying with an 8 now, which covers almost all situations. I don’t ever feel undergunned unless it’s super windy or I’m trying to deep dredge with a heavy sinking line. Most times you’ll be just fine with an 8.

A yak or small boat is perfect for a lot of our backwaters. Again just be safe. A spill in the water this time of year can turn deadly. And make sure the boats that aren’t paying attention at full speed can see you somehow.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it...
    I am haunted by waters" -Norman Maclean

"Bill, strange things are afoot at the Circle-K" - Ted "Theodore" Logan

The more you learn, the less you really know...
    think about that

Ecclesiastes 10:2
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
    but the heart of the fool to the left.

Like the others have said. 8 wt will work just fine. Clousers would be a good go to fly. Right now the water is still very cold so if you try fishing in your yak I would be super careful. Cold water kills. I hope to launch my boat next week as I will finish up the waxing tomorrow with the nice weather. Down here in Cape May it seems like the first action is along the surf in the shallow water. Most fish are very small but there usually seem to be good numbers. Using a sinking line and a clouser, working it with slow strips on the bottom works well. Will also see some sea herring around and they will also take the same clousers but they tend to like a little faster strip. Come the end of April we should see the first nice size blues. They come in to feed on the small stripers and herring. Really do not see any real back bay action down here till May.

Use to be April 15 when the first decent action would be seen around Cape May Point from land. There would normally be good amounts of bay anchovies and sea herring and small bass would start biting. Last few years there has been very little early bait fish and the early fishing has been tough. No bait fish equals no fish.

Good luck as early fly fishing is always a bit slow getting started. By May things should pick up a bit and there will also be some fluke and possibly some weakfish around. There is always some freshwater fly fishing to get you started at this time of year. Pickerel, crappie and largemouth are available at many lakes and they can be caught on a fly before the saltwater action heats up.

Naytep, Lots of great suggestions from some of the guys who know their stuff. & yes an 8wt will be fine. Tougher throwing the bigger flies but you shouldn't need. Match the hatch if you can tell what fish are taking. Floating line should work for 85% of your fishing. Don't buy a bunch of lines until you KNOW you need them, & the first extra line should probably be a WF-I. When the blues come remember a trace of wire. Don't need more that a couple three inches. Wish you much luck & don't hesitate to ask questions. Get a buddy to go along & try to find one who fly fishes & doesn't think he knows everything. fly ty r has it, "the more you learn, the less you really know". Good luck & stay safe.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

Thanks for all the info guys. I got into fly fishing pretty heavy about 10 years back. Then got very busy with work and life and discovered offshore fishing. I havent picked up the fly rod in at least 9 years. Exploring the kayak seen and trying to take advantage of all the backwaters we have in SJ. I figure its the perfect time to dust off the fly rods and see what I can find.
    Milton Friedman

Quote Originally Posted by naytep View Post
    Thanks for all the info guys. I got into fly fishing pretty heavy about 10 years back. Then got very busy with work and life and discovered offshore fishing. I havent picked up the fly rod in at least 9 years. Exploring the kayak seen and trying to take advantage of all the backwaters we have in SJ. I figure its the perfect time to dust off the fly rods and see what I can find.
    It's not terribly complicated. Most of the time we are tosssing top water flys esp gurglers. When the water is cooler like at the present time we fish clousers (lots of flash)
    Dock lighting ( sight casting to fish sitting under the lights) is probably your best way to get a lot of reel time when you're first starting out. If you'd like a crash course on a guided trip give me a shout.
    Insomniac Guide Service LLC
    Capt. Dan Schafer
    Year Round Striped Bass
    Shallow Water Back Bay
    Fly & Light Tackle Fishing
    in Stone Harbor NJ.
    (609)-780-5124
    [email protected]
    G.Loomis, Shimano, Yeti, Lowrance, Tackle Direct Pro Staff
    Join Us On Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Insomniac-Guide-Service-LLC/127841563899334

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in