Fishing Reports April 1-April 30 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Fishing Reports April 1-April 30

REN good to hear you got out and had some action. With the still very cold water the fish feel like they have been on ice when you pick them up.

Went out again today at 2:00 pm to work the out going tides, thinking the weather would be a little nicer and we would have less wind, but there was a fairly decent wind off the ocean making boat handling a little more sporty fishing behind the waves on the beach. Ocean water today was 46 to 49 degrees and it felt cold especially with the wet hands from fly fishing. Didn't do as well today as we expected. We caught only 2 of the 4 fish we hooked with the biggest striper going 22 inches. Again all the action was on chartreuse/white clousers on sinking line. We got our fish in the first hour and after a second hour with no hits we called a day.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Took the yak out for its maiden voyage in the salt on 4/22 place was a mad house googans everywhere the whole beach was lined up with guys dunking bait tons of boats out as well . Since this is new territory for me I spent an hour and 1/2 just trying to get a feel for everything and locate the fish . The area I launched and was fishing the temp on my fishfinder was reading 50 degrees I notice that I was spotting anyone else catching so I decided to find warmer water . After a little searching I found an area that the water was 4 degrees warmer and sure enough I started catching fish . I had a steady catch of smaller stripers in the 15-19" range which for me was a great time on the water for my first time out on the yak . But I got a little itch that wanted to find some bigger bass so I started to search a little more then I found them they were hanging around a ledge that had a two feet drop off .The bass were in the upper 20's to low 30's range. Unfortunately my sitter was getting cranky and wanted to be relived of duty . So I played around a little more until I caught one of the bigger fish and it measured out at 24" and put on a nice fight took some photos and then headed back . I was so disappointed to be leaving after finding some nicer fish and then have to leave them biting but I had easily a 15 plus fish day on my first salt outing in the yak when I was expecting to get the skunk on my first time out .
    I'm the guy in the shorts.

Fredrick, that is an impressive catch for your first trip this early in the season. Sounds like you figured out what you need to do to catch in saltwater. Just keep doing what you are doing as the fishing should get even better as the water gets a little warmer. Good luck on your next trips

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CapeMayRay View Post
    Fredrick, that is an impressive catch for your first trip this early in the season. Sounds like you figured out what you need to do to catch in saltwater. Just keep doing what you are doing as the fishing should get even better as the water gets a little warmer. Good luck on your next trips
    Thanks Ray , I try to get out at least once a week for fishing and I'm always looking for like minded individuals to fish with , most guys cant either keep up or are henpecked and never get out. Then there are the guys that only want to fish how they want to . If there is a specific hatch on a certain body of water that might be happening and the moon is in its third qtr. and the stream flow table is perfect at xyz cfs they can fish no other day but that one day and there is no other opportunity that is worthy their time . Unfortunately my saltwater outings will have to be on hold for a few weeks, how is it over there ? Is it me or has this year been one the windiest I can remember ?
    I'm the guy in the shorts.

It has been one of the windiest springs that I can remember. There has been so few nice days. A friend of mine got out Saturday morning as the fog was lifting. Said there was a good ground swell coming in and it made fishing difficult and then the wind kicked up off the ocean. Sunday and Monday again it was just too windy to try. He did get one small striper for his efforts.

I am going to try something different tomorrow. I am heading up to the Delaware Water Gap to fly fish for shad. I have never tried it before. Last few years with the spawning stripers in decline they have seen and improvement in the shad fishing as the stripers aren't around in the numbers to eat up the young, like in previous years. Have a friend who fishes there and he is going to show me the ropes. Looking forward to it and it looks like it will be a nice day. Long 3 1/2 hour drive each way, but I will have a good time no matter what. Will report on Wednesday.

You will have a good time. A very strong run this year and lots of big fish. Enjoy !

rob

Quote Originally Posted by CapeMayRay View Post
    It has been one of the windiest springs that I can remember. There has been so few nice days. A friend of mine got out Saturday morning as the fog was lifting. Said there was a good ground swell coming in and it made fishing difficult and then the wind kicked up off the ocean. Sunday and Monday again it was just too windy to try. He did get one small striper for his efforts.

I am going to try something different tomorrow. I am heading up to the Delaware Water Gap to fly fish for shad. I have never tried it before. Last few years with the spawning stripers in decline they have seen and improvement in the shad fishing as the stripers aren't around in the numbers to eat up the young, like in previous years. Have a friend who fishes there and he is going to show me the ropes. Looking forward to it and it looks like it will be a nice day. Long 3 1/2 hour drive each way, but I will have a good time no matter what. Will report on Wednesday.
    how did you make out? never fished the shad run, only drove up one time to the wing dam when I was in the area for work.

------------

Rob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in