Fishing Reports April 1-April 30
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Fishing Reports April 1-April 30

Default Fishing Reports April 1-April 30

Posted earlier but did not take. Hope this one does. Hoping all are coping with the crazy weather & still looking forward to some fishing reports. Have some good days lately. Went grocery fishing yesterday & we had good catches of lane snappers some grouper, still out of season, & a few yellowtail snappers. Been doing well with the tarpon after dark. Up to 3 one night. g Great to be out on the full moon. Catch-um up.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Still have not started on the boat. Cold and wind just not fun to wash and wax. Put down a mess of mulch on the beds and hoping for a few decent days soon. Last night it went down to freezing again. Today raced remote control sailboats again up at Mt Laurel. Did try in the pond before racing for trout as it was opening day. Fished for about a half hour before racing. Did see a number of people fishing but did not see any fish caught. I had one hit and missed it, what ever it was.

It was cold and windy and very shifty winds for the racing, but had a good time.

On the way home I fished a favorite pickerel pond and it was windy and cold there. I got 2 small pickerel, a medium size one and while fishing off a bulkhead about 4 feet off the water I hooked a really nice one that swallowed the whole fly. Just couldn't reach down in the water far enough get it and trying to lift it out of the water it bit through the line. That is the second time in the last couple of years that I have lost a really nice fish off the bulkhead, but taking a net with a decent handle is more trouble than it is worth as I like to walk around the shore and cast.

Ray, Sorry you lost another nice one. I remember you saying that last year. In Melbourne for a couple three days & back to the Keys with a stop in Marco. Tarpon have been doing very well. Hope your weather improves.
    Ron Conner

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Thursday and Friday were perfect days. Washed and waxed the whole boat, put the gear on and she is ready for the water. Would of launched Saturday but was away racing remote control sailboats again. We had great weather on Saturday but canceled todays racing with 44 mph winds, rain blowing sideways and the temps in the 40's. Looking at this week, so far no days look user friendly for fishing. Hope to get out fishing soon it the weather gets nice again.

Do any of you gentleman fish out of a kayak ? I'm hoping to mix up allot of saltwater fishing in with my snakehead pursuits this year
    I'm the guy in the shorts.

Having trouble posting again. If this gets through, I have a good friend down here who is great with a kayak & fly gear. I can be a go between if you want. Let me know any specific questions you have & I will relay. Also, there was a fellow on this board how had a kayak shop near or in Brigantine who I know could help.
    Ron Conner

I have two kayaks but use them once in a blue moon. I am spoiled rotten with a bay boat and electric bow mounted motor. You can sit on on a seat hold the boat right where you want hands free and there is nothing to foul the fly line on it. Always found it a pain to fish from a kayak as it takes two hands to fly fish and with current and wind boat control was difficult and with line in your lap with a paddle it would always get caught on something at the wrong time. That is why you see a lot of yakers trolling or drift fishing. Found it easier to paddle where I wanted to fish and then get out and fish from land.

rob

Ron,

Can you ping me the name of the kayak guy around Brig? I have a neighbor interested in a kayak for the salt (non fishing) and I've been telling him to talk with someone before going to Dick's sporting goods or wherever.

------------

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by sparse grey View Post
    Having trouble posting again. If this gets through, I have a good friend down here who is great with a kayak & fly gear. I can be a go between if you want. Let me know any specific questions you have & I will relay. Also, there was a fellow on this board how had a kayak shop near or in Brigantine who I know could help.
    Yeah id definitely be interested . Ray I'm typically off every Wednesday if you get board and want to fish kayak, boat or wade I'm game.
    I'm the guy in the shorts.

Still have not put the boat in the water. Last night the winds were honking and my wind gauge it 37 mph and it was blowing too hard all day. Late in the afternoon the winds let up a bit and went freshwater fishing 4:45 to 6:45 It felt pretty cold with the wind and wet hands, but managed 3 hits and caught all three. Two Crappie and a pickerel on small bait fish pattern worked slow. Water felt like ice with my breathable waders. Hope to at least get the boat in this weekend.
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 04-20-2018 at 08:49 PM.

Finally today with the nicer weather I put the boat in for the season. Even with a fairly stiff wind my buddy and I decided to go out and fish for a couple of hours after getting the boat situated in the slip. It was fairly windy and cold but pretty decent compared to what we have had. We headed to the ocean. On the way out there was a decent amount of dolphins working around the inlet. There was no big sea swell but a lot of white caps and cop in the ocean. The water was 48 to 50 degrees and pretty clean Using the electric bow mounted motor worked in close to the surf line and in 8 th 4 feet outside the surf line we found our first stripers of the season. We fished for 2 hours and got 5 stripers on chartreuse/white clouser flies using sinking line to get the fly down close to the bottom. I got the two biggest of the day a 23 and 23 1/2 incher.

End of the trip with the wind letting up a bit we tried around the inlet but found it dead other than the dolphin watching boats watching a large pack go down the beach.

It was a good way to start the season and felt good to get out on the water again. Now that there are a few fish around and it is a little warmer I hope to start doing charters soon.

Last edited by CapeMayRay; 04-21-2018 at 08:23 PM.
    Red Eye Nester likes this.

Administrator

Nice Ray - waters finally warming up, this am the local tackle shop in AC said it was 47 and I thought he may be reaching but believe it after reading your report.

Winds dropping out, I'm gonna peddle up and hit some lights after the tide turns later on.

Administrator

Post 4/22/17 Report

Got out around 2am fished a couple hours in some pretty urban well lit backwater.
    picked 7 or 8 small small bass Click image for larger version. 

Name:	042218tinybass.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	418354
    and a couple of these guys(skinny)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	042218Flatty.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	418362

All caught on a 3/8 Kalin jig w/pinky, fish were not aggressive. Hope too see some bigger ones soon. Not a fly report, but a report.
    rob likes this.

Sorry I can't remember the guy in Brig. Someone here please help. The guy down here is the "French Guy", Serge Thomas. Went 2/2 dark AM yesterday & made the end of the outgoing in the PM. 0/0. Home early, 11:00 P.M.
    Ron Conner

Nice to hear you are around REN. Good to see a flounder also. Did not get any in Sebastion this Dec.
    Ron Conner

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in