Fishing Reports May 1 - May 31 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Fishing Reports May 1 - May 31

Nice fish Rob. Popper & 3 wt. Very nice.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

All around weird day in Cape May today. Made the right decision on canceling this mornings charter. Nice and sunny but a good wind straight off the ocean and it would of been real tough fishing.

Around noon I took a ride to Cape May point, just to see if there was any bird action or any bait fish in the water as I had not be over there in awhile. While looking out at the water I see two fly anglers coming off the beach, so I had to go down and talk to them. Turned out they were fishing all night and Cape May Point was there last stop. They started out in Ocean City and started fishing at 2:00 am, Worked their way down to Corsons, Avalon and then Cape May Point and being chased off a rock jetty early morning by a thunderstorm. They were real die-hards and really gave it their all. We talked about the good old days when the places they had fished at this time of the year always there would be some fish around. I felt bad for them that they put in such an effort for no reward.

Looking at the weather in the afternoon they were calling for the wind to die down betweem 3:00 pm and 7:00 pm when a thunderstorm was to come along and the wind was to kick up. With fishing good yesterday I made a last minute decision to got out for a couple of hours. No one was available to go out so I did a solo trip. Left the dock at 4:30 pm. Water at the dock was 64 degrees when I hit the ocean it was 56 degrees.

Had good action on small stripers 16 to 22 inches and a couple of sea herring. All on chartreuse/white clousers on sinking line. With mostly small fish I decided to move down the beach and fish some submerged jetties. Here I caught on 17 inch and a 24 inch bass. It would of been a super great afternoon but it wasn't to be. I hooked into a really good size striper that immediately had me into my backing and was going away like a rocket. Problem was that it swam over the top of the jetty. I just held my rod up high and had to work the boat around to the other side. It wasn't easy, but just as I got around to the other side the fish made a turn and went back through the jetty and the fly line got hung up and broke from abrasion in the middle of the fly line. (There went a brand new $80.00 fly line.) I then switched to my back up rod and about 5 minutes later I hooked into another good sized fish. (not as big as the first but definitely a good size fish. It started over the top of the jetty too. Not wanting to trash two fly lines in one night, I just put as much pressure as I could trying to keep it on the boat side of the jetty. Bottom line is that I broke the leader. Fished the area for a while and never got another hit so I moved along the inlet jetty and caught two more bass to 25 inches and another tog that took a fly.

Around 7:30 pm there was zero still only a very light wind. Was treated to a nice setting sun and headed in. 8 stripers, 2 sea herring and tog, I had a great night.

Got back to the dock and there was zero wind and gnats were really bad. by the time I got back to the car the wind started picking up and it was blowing strong and it looked like a storm was headed our way. Got in the house and found the wind was gusting to 25 mph and shortly after we got the heavy rain and lightning.
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 05-12-2018 at 10:21 PM.
    rob and fdformicola like this.

Nice going Ray. Glad you had some & bummer about the line. Also too bad you didn't have those 2 hard core guys with you. They sounder like 2 I would like to know. FINALLY had one last night. Last two nights were none but had one on about the 4th or 5th cast. Didn't last long enough but was nice to have a take. Late tide & will probably go again tonight.
    Ron Conner

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

rob

Quote Originally Posted by sparse grey View Post
    Nice going Ray. Glad you had some & bummer about the line. Also too bad you didn't have those 2 hard core guys with you. They sounder like 2 I would like to know. FINALLY had one last night. Last two nights were none but had one on about the 4th or 5th cast. Didn't last long enough but was nice to have a take. Late tide & will probably go again tonight.
    Nice Ron! The club has an outing @ Corson's on Thursday, I'm hoping to get a take by a finned saltwater creature that at least pulls some line out of my hands

------------

Rob

Rob, Hope the outing goes well. Remember that as a good early season spot. Had an interesting area bayside there that I remember being a "little dicey" getting to in the dark. If you remember "Vietnamdumb" RIP, he was the one who found the spot.
    Ron Conner

Good to hear some are getting out to fish. This on and off rain all week is getting old fast. Have not been able to run any charters or even sneak in a short personal trip. With rain still predicted through the weekend I have decided to race remote control sailboats in the rain rather than fish. It is a little easier than sitting in a boat as if it gets too bad we can always jump in our cars.

Rob, good luck Thursday fishing with the fly club. I Talked to Larry yesterday and he mentioned that you guys were going to fish and he was hoping there might be a window of no rain during the event. Either way it will be an experience and hopefully some fun. Catchem Up!

rob

Well, the rain never let up while I was there.

There were some small stripers around, don't know how many stayed through dark and the better tide, only a handful of us showed up.
    I made a bad decision to go with sinking line and there was just not enough current and too much weed. With the rain, slow action and small dinks
    around, didn't feel like re-rigging so fought through the weed unsuccessfully for the most part. Out near the inlet there was less weed, but the NE wind
    was tough to work through... in toward the bridge it was sheltered but a ton more weed.

It was good getting out and chatting up with a couple of the guys. Better conditions and/or a better tide would have improved the catch rate, but hey... we gave it a go

------------

Rob

Rob, sorry to hear the weather was less than Ideal. Sounds like you made it as good as it could.

Weather effected my sailing this weekend. Got up at 6:30 am. It was pouring rain and wind gauge was gusting to 25mph. Decided that I didn't want to drive 2 hours stand in rain with wind at the limit for what our small model boats could take. A few guys did show up and they did race but they said it was not as much fun.

After not getting out for over a week I took the boat out this afternoon for a quick recon trip. Wind was blowing pretty good out of the southeast so ocean fishing was out. With the tide high I went to the back to check things out. Normally it should be pretty good with stripers and bluefish roaming around or sitting at creek mouths on the out going flow. This was the third time I tried the back and found it very slow at best. I fished from 1:30 pm to 3:30 pm. Got two hits and landed two small fish 17 to 18 inches. I worked a number of prime spots, saw zero bait fish headed back in. Have a charter for tomorrow so it looks like we will be fishing the ocean. Normally the back will have some sort of life by now, but not this year. Water coming out of creeks was 62 to 65 degrees. Will see what tomorrow brings.

Monday was a great day weather wise. Sunny and with a 13 mph northeast wind. Left the dock at noon with a once person fly charter.to fish the last of the incoming tide and a part of the out going tide. With good fishing in the ocean the last time that I got out there, we headed out the inlet. Found the water pretty brown. (guess it was from the rain all week) plus there was still a pretty good ground swell coming in. Tried getting in close to shore where I normally would find fish trying to fish just outside the breakers. It was a bit hairy as every once in a while a bigger than normal swell would come in and I had to make sure we didn't do any surfing.

After working it hard for a while and no hits we headed back toward the inlet to fish the rocks. Still a decent swell but much more user friendly. Angler got two hits. Hooked only one that got off near the boat. Frustrated I decided to make a move to the back bay as it couldn't be any worse.

Water in the back was a bit cleaner and warmer but zero signs of any visible life. We worked and number prime spots and right near the end of the trip the angler caught a 20 1/2 inch bass to save us from being skunked.

Looking back at my records for the last 20 years there has not been a slower start to the season. By now we normally have some baitfish visible somewhere, bluefish are usually fairly plentiful in the ocean and the back bay and is normally alive with schoolie stripers. Also by now I have had a few trips where we have gotten weakfish. This year I see nothing normal. If it doesn't kick in soon it is going to be another brutal year.
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 05-22-2018 at 04:59 PM.

Another tough trip on Wednesday. Left the dock at 4:00 pm to fish the out going tide. Was a lot windier than they forecast. It had to be blowing at least 15 mph, but it was blowing from a decent direction for fishing the ocean. Broke the inlet and found the water even at high tide very brownish green with not the best clarity. Even with the electric motor it was constant adjustment to keep the boat controlled where I wanted it. Fished first spot for a half and hour and did not get a single hit so we moved back to the inlet and my single angler landed two small stripers and missed one.

With it slow I moved to the back bay to hit some prime spots. (figuring the back has to get hot any day.) We worked a number of super looking creek mouths where warmer water was flowing into the colder water and found the fishing extremely slow catching only 2 more small stripers and covering a lot of ground. By 7:00pm the wind started settling down a little and I decided to run back out to the ocean as it was a little more workable now. Angler got two more small stripers and 18 inch bluefish (first I have personally seen this year.) and had one bite off.

Whole afternoon seemed to be a struggle. A little too much wind, dirty water and the few fish that we got were small and never saw even on bird picking at any bait in both the ocean or the back and no signs of any bait fish at all. All the bass were about the same size and released them all along with the bluefish.

Yet another tough night fishing number wise, but did get a couple of nice fish. Left the dock at 4:00 pm with a dad and his son spin charter. One of the nicest nights I have fished. You couldn't of asked for a better night. We had light winds, calm seas and the water was much cleaner than the day before. Ocean water was around 60 degrees. First spot they caught a nice bluefish and a striper and missed one. Tried two other spots and got zero hits so we came back to the first spot where we caught the first two fish. There they got two more small bass and a nice 25 inch weakfish. It was the sons first weakfish that he ever caught, It took us all by surprise when we saw the nice pink color and the first one caught on the boat this year. It was a nice fish by today's standards and made their night. We took a few pictures and released it to be help rebuild the stocks and maybe to be caught another day.

With it just plain slow we were forced to try the back bay. Water was around 65 degrees and we tried a number of spots. Here they caught 2 more small stripers and another bluefish and missed three other hits. I got to take home a blue for dinner.

Again the whole night we never saw any bait fish or signs of life or a single bird picking. You just get the feeling there is nothing around for the fish to feed on.
    fdformicola likes this.

Saturday,took out a father and his 11 year old son on a charter. Father fly fished and his son was using a spin rod. We left the dock an hour earlier than first planned as they were calling for possible thunderstorm activity by 7:00 pm. We left the dock at 3:30 pm with the wind blowing out of the SE a bit stronger than the 12 mph that they forecast. Went to the ocean and found 62 degree water. The dad got the first fish on a clouser, a nice 18 inch bluefish. As we fished, with the stronger wind the sea swells started getting bigger and the dad was feeling a bit green and boat control was getting tougher. It was like fishing on a mini roller coaster with the electric motor popping out of the water. After getting 2 stripers and 2 bluefish we came inside the inlet. Worked it for a while and got no hits so we moved to the back bay.

The back bay was a lot calmer. In the first 15 minutes they missed 2 fish and we kept pushing on missing 2 more fish, but we knew there were a few fish around.
    Finally I found an area where there were a decent number of fish and gave them a little extra time. Here they caught 6 bass and two more blues and missed another 3 fish, ending the day about 8:15 with the biggest fish of the night a nice 25 inch striper. Turned out to be a pretty good trip. 8 stripers and 4 blues. We had to work hard to get them and the wind was still blowing pretty good when we got back to the dock with no rain or thunderstorms on the night. All fish were released except for 2 bluefish that they kept for dinner.

Cancelled Sundays charter due to the weather but, today took my 7 year old grand son freshwater fishing for sunfish with the new rod and reel that I got him for Christmas. He is too young for the fly fishing so I just took some small hooks and dug up some earthworms from the garden. He did really well catching a good number of sunfish from 2 to 7 inches using a bobber with a 3 foot leader. High light of the day was when about a 5 lb largemouth came up and tried to eat about a 5 inch sunfish that he was reeling in. I told him to let it stay in the water and the bass after about 7 or 8 tries the bass finally swallowed the whole fish and took off and jumped. Might of had it on for about 15 seconds and it spit out the sunfish. With the tiny hook in the mouth of the sunfish there was nothing to hook the bass. Would of live lined a sunfish but only brought tiny sunfish hooks so the chances of even getting a hook up would of been slim to none. Next time I will bring some larger hooks. He had fun and can't wait to do it again. Hope to get up to the Delaware River with him and show him how to catch using a sinker and hook the next time I get up there. Both of us had a great afternoon.
    fdformicola likes this.

rob

I was out with my 2 and 4 yr old grandsons on Saturday and today catching dozens of sunfish, a few catfish, not big but fun, and missed a couple of “lifelined sunny” bass on the sunny hooks as well. The older grandson got one last year with that tiny sunny hook catching the bass lip cleanly, not so this year. That same grandson seems to be developing a passion for fishing, was showing him how to move on from worms to a mepps and a jig and grub ( though still used a bobber with the jig) to catch. He would have stayed all day, and he woke up yesterday and today asking to go fishing.

Fun times, even without the flyrod

------------

Rob

Fun to see them learning how to fish. The older one didn't want to leave, but we ran out of worms and his brother was getting a bit tired. Would of let the older one try with lures, but we were fishing on a small floating dock and there were 5 other kids fishing it too and didn't want anyone getting hooked and along the banks it is fairly over grown and tough to cast even if you know what you are doing. When he comes down for vacation I will let him cast for blues or stripers from the boat. Weather just wasn't decent enough to take the boys out and the little one has more fun doing everything else. He wanted to string all the bobbers on a line and pretend he was fishing. Probably could put some live bait in the fish well and he would be a happy camper.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in