Fishing Reports May 1 - May 31 - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Fishing Reports May 1 - May 31

I cast out and let my kids strip back in. It’s the best way to get them hooked on the fly rod! Once they catch something it’s a done deal. Got my son hooked doing that with hickory shad a few years ago, he had a blast.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it...
    I am haunted by waters" -Norman Maclean

"Bill, strange things are afoot at the Circle-K" - Ted "Theodore" Logan

The more you learn, the less you really know...
    think about that

Ecclesiastes 10:2
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
    but the heart of the fool to the left.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

rob

Dave, you're the flyfishing zen master, so your kids should absorb it by osmosis.

Seriously, great idea, and I'll try that next time (though poppop is in a little doodoo this morning, as the kids each had multiple ticks from our outing yesterday)

------------

Rob

Not good with the ticks. That is why we fished the dock and told the boys not to walk through the high weeds and brush. Hard for them to do as boys want to look and explore everywhere.

Dave, the one that likes the fishing wants to do it all on his own including putting the worm on the hook and wants to cast himself. Think I will let him learn more fishing basics before I try him with the fly rod. Even then I think I will start him on lawn casting as most of the places I fish are difficult at best with a fly rod. I can see where he would enjoy stripping in and hooking up a fish, but not being able to cast he would not like. Want them to have fun with it when they start rather than get frustrated with all the hang ups on the back cast. That is why even I like fishing in the salt. There is nothing behind you to worry about other than the fly hitting you if the wind is from a bad direction. There will be plenty of time to get him into fly fishing on his own.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Rob,
    I will gladly defer my fly zen master status over to the ever humble Mr Sparse Grey Hackle (Ron) on here. He’s way more of a master than I’d ever try to be!

Ray,
    Each kid is different. Let them find fly fishing in their own time. Most of the places I fish, where I’m confident the kids will actually catch something, are loaded with hazards to casting, both fresh and salt water. My son got fairly good at beginner roll casting because of it, but he’s 11 so he’s no longer a little kid anymore. He’s getting more into the nuance of it all, with casting and tying. But my daughter who is only 6 just likes to feel the fish on the line, whether it’s on the fly rod or the Barbie rod. I’m slowly working on it....
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it...
    I am haunted by waters" -Norman Maclean

"Bill, strange things are afoot at the Circle-K" - Ted "Theodore" Logan

The more you learn, the less you really know...
    think about that

Ecclesiastes 10:2
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
    but the heart of the fool to the left.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in