Fishing Reports May 1 - May 31
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Fishing Reports May 1 - May 31

Default Fishing Reports May 1 - May 31

Good to read that fish are being caught. Hope to read more reports in the future. Enjoyed that first kayak report. Well done.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

rob

had some casting practice yesterday.

hope to do more today.

------------

Rob

rob

first of the year.

wasn't what I was looking for, but it counts

------------

Rob

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Rob, still feels good to have a fish on the end of the line.

Yesterdays shad fishing was a bust for me. Got up to the gap about 2 hours earlier than I was to meet with my shad fishing buddy. Tried fishing the river right there until he came. Got one hit, hooked a smallmouth or large mouth, and on the second jump lost it.

When he came we drove up further north along the river. First one his spots there was no parking. All the spaces were taken. With a such a nice day there were a ton of guys out. Second area were we went too there was parking. Got all rigged up and while heading down to the river my buddy said he had stomach pains, he had to vomit and had to go to the bathroom. He told me to head down to the river and he would be down in a little while. Worked my way down to the water and found 15 guys fishing the prime sport where maybe only 8 guys should fish. They all seemed like local friends so I had to try fishing the none prime area. Did see them land maybe 8 or 9 shad. They were all spin fishing and using little darts.

After fishing for about an half hour my reel seat bottom came loose on my pole and reel would not stay attached so I had to head back up to the car and switch to another rod. By then my buddy was still not feeling any better. I had to go down half way to the river and retrieve his gear for him. He felt super bad that I had driven all that way and that he really wanted to get me some shad on the fly. I told him to head on home and that I would do the best I could without him. He left me with a box of shad flies and I went back down hoping that before the sun went down that some of those guys would leave that good back eddy and I might have a shot. It never happened. Only a couple of guys left before it started to get dark and I too called it a day as the sun was going down. From the narrow road that runs along the river I could see what I thought were great fishing spots but there was no parking along the road and even if you could there was a fairly long steep walk to even get down to the water.

For me it was a long day. Left the house at 8:00 am and never got home to 11:30 pm. It was a totally warm beautiful day, but it would of been a little nicer if I at least got one shad.

rob

sorry to hear, Ray... you're experience (minus the vomiting etc) is exactly why I haven't tried heading up there. Perhaps you're buddy knows more spots to hit and you can try again before the run's over (or another year).

For me, stopped at a local pond near home after work and the sunnies were really hungry for topwater. Caught over 15 before I started hunting for bass, which I never found.

Maybe a third of them were real slabs, too.

------------

Rob

Rob, any fish pulling on the end of the line is good.

As far as the shad fishing. It was a bust for me. I left the house and 8:00 am. It was a little more than 3 1/2 hours to get to where I was to meet friend for my shad fishing introduction. Got up there almost 2 hours before we were to meet and decided to fish right there until he came. Had one hit. It looked like a smallmouth or largemouth bass and spit the hook on the second jump.

When we met up we drove along the river to get to some of my friends favorite spots. First area there was no parking room so we moved on to a second location. Even there the parking area was pretty filled with about 10 cars.

After rigging up we started to work our way down to the river to fish. We got about half way down to the river and my buddy said I he had to drop everything, that he had stomach pains. that he had to go and he felt like he was going to throw up. I went down to fish and found the spot that we really wanted to work had 15 guys fishing it with spin rods that normally may 8 guys would be able to fish. They seemed to we locals and knew each other. Guess with the super warm weather everyone wanted to get out and fish. I was forced to fish a not so prime area, up river of them, but gave it a try.

After about a 1/2 hour of fishing my bottom of my fly rod slid off the pole and my reel would not stay on so I was forced to head back to the car to get another rod. (My buddy still did not make it down and his gear was still where he left it before heading back. Met up with him at the car and he said the threw up 3 times and was feeling really bad. I told him to forget about the fishing and head home. I had to even retrieve his gear on the trail for him.

After he left I went back down to the river. I did see the group fishing there catch about 10 shad on shad darts. I kept on fishing hoping that maybe some of them would call it a day and I might have a shot at the prime rip and back eddy, but they stayed up until it was getting dark and having a 3 1/2 hour drive home I too left when it was getting dark.

Think I would of had a shot if I could get to a good section of river, but along the river the road pretty much has no parking other than designated areas and even if you could it would be a tough hike down a couple of hundred yards through brush etc.

Needless to say, I was a bit disappointed not catching a shad and it was along day with me getting back home at 11:30 pm. but you can't win them all.

After yesterdays skunking I spent today licking my wounds, planting annuals, shrubs, and did some trimming and mulching. (all things that I hate to do.) It did look nice when it was all done.

Late afternoon a buddy and called to see if I wanted to go freshwater fishing with him around 6:00 pm. I told him that I had enough freshwater fishing yesterday, that we should go out in the boat and work the incoming tide for stripers. This plan worked perfectly. We left the dock at 6:00 pm. The ocean water was 51 to 52 degrees and a light southeast wind. Within a few casts we started getting small stripers. The bottom had to be paved with them as we would get hits on almost every cast. (chartreuse/white clousers with sinking line.)

The fish ranged from 12 to 21 inches with only 4 fish going over 20 inches and most fish 15 to 17 inches.

We worked 3 different locations and found fish at all three. Nothing big, but a lot of action. With the wind picking up a bit and it getting a little cooler, we headed home at 8:00 pm after catching over 40 small stripers. What a difference a day makes. Don't think I will be trying any shad fishing any time soon. It was a perfect way to end the day and we left the fish biting.
    rob, freelancer and fdformicola like this.

Wanted to get out Thursday afternoon, but the wind was honking off the ocean with nothing but decent surf and white caps.

I canceled this mornings fly charter as last night they were calling for the winds to still be strong through the night and continue in the morning. My charter could only go out super early at sunrise as later in the day he had a function to attend. With going out at dead low tide, predicted strong wave and wind activity and no water in the back bay to fish as an alternative, we canceled late Thursday night. Got up at 7:30 am this morning only to find they blew the forecast and there was next to no wind and we could of done the trip. The wind did pipe up by midday.

Was really looking forward to this afternoons charter. We were going to fish the outgoing tide in the ocean. Since the fish were biting good the last time that I was out I was really looking forward to it knowing we would have a great day. Left the dock at noon. There was very little wind and the ocean was in the lower 50's. Only problem was sea swell. Guess with the wind blowing strong all night there was a good swell and good surf where I wanted to fish. We got there and found it barely workable with big waves. About 5 minutes into the fishing the anglers wife said she was starting to feel sea sick.

I then moved back to the inlet where the wave action was not so bad. The guy hooked a striper but lost it before we could get it to the boat. After a 3/4 of and hour of fishing his wife said she was still not feel too good, so we headed inside to fish the back bay. (my first venture into the back this year.) Found some good looking creek mouths with water around 62 degrees, but they were all dead. Fished the rest of the afternoon in the back hitting many prime spots, missed one fish and caught one small striper. As if the trip wasn't bad enough it started to light rain on the run back to the dock.

It was an easy decision to cancel Sundays trip with rain and a good wind, combined with poor fishing the day before we did not go. Weather was decent enough up in Mt Laurel so drove there and raced remote control sailboats staying overnight at my daughters house in Riverton. On the way home today, I had a 1/2 hour window of opportunity to fish. Caught a small pickerel and a yellow perch and it was a little too windy for me to try saltwater fishing this evening.

With two days for strong winds out of the northeast saltwater fishing in the boat was out. Buddy and I went freshwater fishing late Tuesday afternoon and it was really cold. There was a northeast wind pushing in a cold damp foggy mist. I had one hit on my baitfish pattern and did not catch a thing in two hours. My buddy put on a real tiny wooly bugger and got a few very small sunfish and a crappie. Maybe I am loosing my touch, but it was super slow when normally at this time of year it should of been very good fishing.

rob

away from the cold and windy Cape, "up here" in Atlantic (and Burlington) county, it's not been too bad. I've been searching out near work for trout, and by home for bass, but only hitting slab sunnies.

finally found a decent sized bass on the 3wt

Red Eye Nester likes this.

------------

Rob

Nice bass on a 3wt. I must of put up a nice fight. What fly pattern did you use to catch it?

rob

Ray,

it it was a simple rubber legged popper, black and white body.

I didn’t tie it, but I was getting reaction strikes so probably could have used anything that would splat and float

------------

Rob

With it being the first decent day for fishing in over a week, I decided to go out with my fishing buddy Paul and see if we could find some fish. We left the dock at 5:00 pm. and headed to the ocean. The wind was out of the south at around 10 mph and there was a fairly decent sea swell making for some decent surf where we like to fish in close to the beach.

For the first 2 hours the fishing was hot. We were both fishing chartreuse/white clousers on sinking fly line. We caught 13 stripers 16 to 23 inches long. We also caught 6 sea herring and surprisingly a 15 inch tog. (usually catch a few every year on the fly) I believe the female comes up toward the surface to lay her eggs with the male following right behind to fertilize them. If the fly gets anywhere close they attack it. Good fight on the fly. You don't get the head shake the the bass and they run deep and try to get into the rocks.

normally I do not leave to find fish, but having a great start I wanted to check out the back bay to see if fish had moved into the back bay. (Normally by this time they have along with some bluefish) Well they have not. We fished the same clousers on intermediate fly line and worked some really good areas and we never got a single hit so we called it a night at 8:00 pm. Overall it was a fun night with good action.

Fishing weather doesn't seem to last. Tomorrow mornings charter we just cancelled as they are calling for some clouds and rain and 10 to 15 mph winds gusting to 20 mph with higher winds later in the day. Mother nature has been very tough this spring.
    rob likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in