Fishing Reports June1 to June 30 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Fishing Reports June1 to June 30

Hi Ray , good weather-dodging, up to the end. Happens to all of us sometime. Say, you mind identifying the swimming plug you're using? The paddle tails I've been using don't seem to be the thing now. I've tried 'em deep and shallow. not much action. when there is, they're quite small. Tks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Fished the incoming on Saturday behind ventnor, margate, and longport could only muster 3 shorts between my son and I.

I had them fishing red and white bomber swimming plugs about 5 inches long. Don't think color matters as much as finding where the fish might be. That is the tough part anymore. You have to ask yourself, where would I be feeding at this time of day and tide and then work those area hard. If the fish are there they will pretty much hit any color you throw their way. Even being out fishing as much as I do, spots you fish one day that were hot many not be hot the next time you are out. Any more I feel I have to hit a good number of spots just to get a few fish, with many productive spots that look perfect producing nothing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Another light tackle spin charter tonight. It was suppose to be a fly trip, but the one fly angler elected to fish a spin fish as his friend was going to use a spin rod and his dad was a last minute addition and he was going to do a fly trip later this week. (The dad just came as an observer as he messed up his hand earlier this week and was no able to reel) Left the dock at 4:30 pm to fish the last of the incoming and the start of the out going. I was anticipating a fast start and a good evening like the day before, but it was a tough start. A really tough start. Started them out with the red and white swimming plugs that worked well yesterday. We worked all the spots that produced the night before and could not even buy a hit. Water looked just as clean and the same temperature as the night before and the same no signs of bait fish anywhere.. After about 2 hours of zero hits, I made a major move. First spot looked so fishing but produced nothing. Finally the next spot I switched them over to popping plugs and they caught 5 bass all about the same size and missed about 6 other strikes.

We worked it till we felt we couldn't get any more fish. With the spot before this looking so fishy I took them back there and using popping plugs they caught 4 more stripers and missed a few more, ending the night with the wind dying the bugs coming out strong and some lightning off in the distance.

Had a single fly angler out tonight. We left the dock at 4:30 pm. With the wind blowing from the northwest at maybe 10 to 12 mp, I Decided to head for the ocean and fish the surf line in the lea of the beach. I hadn't fished there in awhile and was hoping I might find a few weakfish for my charter. We had a nice incoming tide and the water was nice and clean and I had him throwing a clouser on a sinking line. Worked first spot in close to the beach and got zero hits so I headed back to the inlet. Worked it hard for about 1/2 of an hour and got one hit. It was something small, maybe a blue.

With the fishing dead I decided to move to the back bay where most of the action has been this past week. Water looked nice and clean and I switched him to a popper and we worked 5 prime spots without a hit and I was getting a bit concerned. For the most part the back seems very dead. No signs of any bait fish bigger than 1/2 inch and all the normal prime spots just aren't holding any fish.

Just like yesterday I made a major move to where we caught well the night before. Finding it dead I made another move and finally found a good concentration of stripers. Best I have seen in the back year to date. Here he got 9 stripers up to 25 inches, on a popping fly and must of missed 20 plus hits. Didn't see anything he was doing wrong. He was an excellent castor, had caught tons of stripers along the east coast including some big ones. The fish were very aggressive, hitting and chasing the popper all the way back to the boat, with a couple giving us a great view of swimming up and smacking the fly. It was just tough getting a solid hook up. My personal feeling is that with so little bait fish around, the fish are hungry. When a fish sees something of decent size they do not dare let it escape. Can't remember seeing fish this aggressive or missing that many hits.

The wind died out about 7:30 and when the action stopped I moved to one more very shallow spot where he got 2 more fish and had a couple of misses. The trip started very slow but picked up near the end, making for a great trip and to top it off we had a beautiful sunset.

Didn't have a charter tonight. With the good fishing on Monday I and decided I would do a personal trip and have some personal fun. Fishing buddy Paul and I left the dock at 5:30 figuring we would hit prime time. Forecast was for 10 mph winds and lightening up as it got closer to dusk. When we left the dock the wind was blowing about 12 mph. Just enough to make for annoying fishing, especially when we wanted to use popping flies.

We went to where we caught on Monday and conditions looked great. Tide was up and water looked nice and clean. I thought we would be in for a great night. It wasn't to be. It was just very difficult to control the boat with the tide and strong wind and it actually got windier as it got near dusk, plus the wind was coming off the ocean it got pretty cool. We had to put on sweat shirts and jackets to stay comfortable. The two areas that were hot the last few days were dead and we worked had to work a couple of different areas just to get our few fish.

With two of us fishing we got less strikes and hooked less fish than Monday, catching only 3 fish out of the 8 hits that we got. All our caught our stripers on popping flies. Paul was using a standard type popping fly and I used one of my Steroid Gurglers. We had fun, but it was a bit disappointing as I had high expectations for the night. Just very hard to find fish this year. Seems like there are fewer fish around, always on the move as there is little to nothing of their normal food source for them to feed on. With so little food source I personally believe many fish come in for a tide or two and just head back out to the ocean and head north. I see fewer and fewer resident fish each year and the average size seems to be be getting smaller.

Another tough trip, Good tide, Good weather, just difficult to find any good fishing. Left the dock at 4:30 pm with one fly angler and one spin angler to fish the incoming tide. With conditions so nice I decided to head to the ocean and see if we could find some weakfish, stripers or blues that normally should be around at this time. Headed out the inlet to work the beach front. Water was fairly clean and 73 to 74 degrees. First spot only got one small hit so we moved back to the inlet. Had another small hit and foul hooked one of the many cow nosed rays that were swimming around everywhere and broke it off to save time.. After an hour and half with no fish I moved to the back bay.

Water in the back was a little brownish and 74 to 76 degrees and they got two quick bass and missed 3 at the first spot in 3 1/2 feet of water. kept on moving and working one good spot after another with no luck. Finally found another shallow area that held some fish, where they caught 2 and missing 3 other hits, Hit another spot where they picked another small one and then the last place we fished, on the first cast they got the last one of the night.

To make things worse, the green heads were out in full force making the use of bug spray a matter of life and death. If that wasn't bad enough, right at sunset the wind died out to nothing and the gnats came out in full force. Do not know what it is. But fishing this year seems to be more difficult and I have never had to work harder, just to find a few fish. On a positive note we did have another nice sunset.
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 06-29-2018 at 09:50 AM.

Fridays trip was the most excruciating trip of the year so far. Left the dock at 5:00 pm with an experienced fly angler who has fished with me in prior years. We headed to the ocean and found the water 73 to 74 degrees, but a lot cleaner than yesterday. With a very light wind and small swells conditions looked perfect. After about about 5 minutes he got the first hit hooked a small weakfish using sinking line and a pink/white clouser and I anticipated some good fishing. In the next 1/2 of an hour he never got another. Like yesterday there were tons of cow nose rays around.

Disappointed we moved back to the inlet and worked the area hard for and hour and 15 minutes and got zero hits and foul hooked two cow nose rays that we broke off to save time. They were swimming by in packs of 7 to 8 at a time and one pack after another. The only option was to head to the back bay. Water looked great and was 74 to 79 degrees. We worked the first 4 areas super hard and never got a single hit using a popping fly, fishing 3 to 5 feet of water that had a good amount of 1/2 inch bait fish. With nothing doing we made a major move to and area that also had a decent amount of small bait and where we caught earlier in the week. Here he got a hit on a popping fly and landed a very small striper. Two hits so far and he landed two fish. That was the last hit and fish of the night.

Green heads were pretty bad but we both had long pants and long sleeve shirts so they presented no real problem.

We worked a number of beautiful fishy looking spots, that should of held some fish. With the sun going down the wind died out to almost nothing and conditions could not of been better. At 9:30 pm we both had enough pain and suffering and to add salt to the wound the gnats came out in full force and we called it a night.

4 1/2 hours of fishing prime time and tides and only getting two hits, is as bad as it gets. Luckily he hooked both hits. I don't know how many miles of casts that he made for so little in return, but it was a lot. That is as poor as fishing gets. It certainly makes my decision to give up chartering this year, so much easier. With the fishing getting worse and worse each year I have agree with the BB King song. " THE THRILL IS GONE!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in