Fishing Reports June1 to June 30
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Fishing Reports June1 to June 30

Default Fishing Reports June1 to June 30

With the tough weather and not fishing for awhile I went against common sense as I needed a fishing fix.

Tide tables had high tide at around 10:30 this morning and it was a very low high tide. I usually try to avoid them if I can as there is not as much tidal flow on the incoming or out going tide.

I don't like to go out even with a decent mid day tide unless it is a cloudy day, or there is lots of baitfish around or some good reason to do so.

Buddy Paul and I left the dock at 10:30 am and it was bright and sunny. We head out to fish the ocean and found the water in the low 60's and very clean and clear. Normally I like clean water but not at mid day when the light can penetrate much further down. About a half an hour into fishing the fog rolled in making it nice and more overcast, but that didn't help. We tried 3 spots fished for two hours with neither of us even getting a single strike. Finally at the last spot we caught 3 stripers in 15 minutes, or I should say Paul caught stripers. We were both using sinking line and identical clousers and I never got a hit.

With it still foggy we moved to the back bay to try a couple of rip lines that had a little current. Here on about the 3rd cast Paul caught another striper on intermediate line that we both switched to in the more shallow water. We fished till about 2:00 pm when the sun broke out strong, it started to get hot and the gnats came out of the woodwork and we called it a day.

Paul had a great trip with 4 stripers up to 21 1/2 inches out of the 4 hits he got. For me it was just a tough day fishing. I never got a single strike the whole trip. Never got that fishing fix that I wanted.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

**Thank you Ray. This was our annual Poontangle week-end & Ardis & I were involved in this all the way to our ankles---head first. Very busy times with lots of old friends. This was Poontangle XVIII. Started in 2000 by Bob Brown, Buttonwood Bob on the forums. There was a "Virtual Shop Forum that had a Florida & Caribbean board & all were a bunch of fly guys from around the Country who always "wanted to get together in the Keys" Bob Brown finally set a date & opened his home (& his wife Kathy, who actually is a better fisherperson than Bob) & 15 or 20 people showed up, never meeting before & had a GREAT week-end which hasn't missed a week since. For the first few years Ardis & I were the ones who had come the furthest. Since then we have had as many as 40 or so from Texas, Calif. & many States in-between. Great times & experiences & this year we actually had decent weather & several tarpon were caught.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

Ron, Good to hear you are having a great time. Sounds like it was a terrific get together. Our weather here was not very good to go out fishing this weekend, but it is looking a little better this week, but our tides are not the greatest. We are in that period where you either fish the tide in the middle of the night or fish a very low, light current high tide in the afternoon.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Tough charter today for my two fly anglers. We had to leave the dock at 12:30 pm this afternoon as it was the only time slot that worked for them. Leaving in the middle of the day this time of the year is always a negative. When we left the dock it was sunny with a good breeze with white caps in the inter harbor. With the wind coming off the land I headed to the ocean where we could fish the leeward shore. We had an incoming tide with a very poor flow due to the fact that high tide was only going to be 3.8 feet. The lowest high tide and least tidal flow of the whole month. We worked 4 different spots that all looked pretty good and there was good fly visibility in the water. They landed 1 small striper out of the 3 hits that they got. Wind was very annoying. Around 2:30 pm the wind shifted to more off the ocean and picked up in speed making boat control even more difficult, so with the high tide we move to the back bay to find more sheltered fishing.

In the back bay the wind never let up the rest of the afternoon and we worked a ton of normally good spots, but getting fish was like pulling teeth. They picked up 3 more small stripers and missed two other hits in the next three hours. Never saw any signs of life, or bait fish. Overall it was just a very tough day and felt good to get back to the dock with the biggest fish on the day only 19 1/2 inches.

Left the dock at 4:00 pm with one fly angler and one spin angler. All day it was nice with no wind, but by the time we left there was a good southerly wind off the ocean. Got to the ocean and found it nice and clean but a good amount of wind wave action making it very difficult for us to fish and especially with my newbie fly angler who had only trout fished and had very little heavier line, casting experience. I was surprised, He did very well and could half way decently cast the full sinking line and clouser that I had him using. The wave action made the fishing tough. The plug angler hooked 3 fish only to loose all three. (I double checked the sharpness of the hooks)and the fly angler missed one hit.

With the wind getting a little stronger and the chop getting worse we moved to the back bay to work the first of the out going tide. Here we found some small stripers at a few different spots. 2 for the plug anglers and 4 for the fly angler who used intermediate line. They were his first stripers and he was amazed at the power of the strike how well the fought compared to trout that he catches. We worked hard for what we caught, missed a couple more fish, but at least the back bay was a little more workable with the windy conditions. Still have yet to see any bait fish anywhere making for no easy trips. At 8:00 pm we headed back to the dock having to put on sweat shirts as it was getting pretty cool out. Fly angler said he is now addicted to the feel of the strip strike that has addicted all us fly anglers.

Weather has been making it difficult to get charters in again this year. Canceled another trip on Saturday due to Thunderstorms and rain. Sunday I took the day to race remote control sailboats. Had half way decent cloudy weather until the last races when it started raining. Wouldn't of been a good day for fishing due to wind even if I was home. Today with the strong northeast winds it was another cancellation.

With it too windy to fish I grabbed the freshwater gear and headed to a local lake. It was cloudy and windy, but nothing like it would be on the ocean or back bay. Had a pretty good afternoon. Caught one small large mouth and another pretty good one. Both hit a bait fish pattern on floating line. At the end of the trip I put on a small bead headed black fly and caught 7 small sunfish before heading home.
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 06-11-2018 at 07:09 PM.

Glad you are getting out some Ray. We are now in our Northern home near Melbourne for a bit before we go back to Turneffe Flats in Belize middle of July.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

Ron should be some decent fishing up where you are now. My brother has been catching up in the Turkey Creek area which is not that far from where you are. The trip to Belize sounds exciting.

Finally got a half decent weather to fish. Left the dock at 4:00 pm with a one person fly charter. This was his first saltwater fly fishing trip and he wanted to catch on his new 8 wt that had intermediate line. Wind was still blowing pretty good around 13 mph out of the south southeast and forecast to start dying down as the sun got lower. Headed to the ocean in hopes of finding some fish and maybe even a weakie. South of the inlet was fishable but when he took his first cast I noticed his fly line was a floating line so I switched him over to a sinking line. We worked it for about and hour without a single hit. Water was still a bit brownish from all the wind and rain the days before but it looked fishy. Came back to the inlet area was just too nasty to fish as the new moon extra high tides were pushing in some heavy current and with the wind and wave action it was not fishable, so we headed to the back bay.

In the back we worked about 9 great spots and with the shallower water he was able to switch back to his new flyrod as we were fishing 3 to 7 feet of water. A few spots had decent looking water, but most had pretty brown water. Did however see the very first signs of life in the back. There were some very small 1/2 inch bait fish here and there as the fly would move through the water. After working the back for 2 1/2 hours we had 2 hits and still no fish.

With the super high water covering much of the sod banks from the extra high new moon tides I moved to one last area and near the end of the trip my fly angler finally got his first striper of the night and missed another. With the trip almost over and our only signs of fish I gave him about an hour of extra time and he was able to catch 3 more small stripers and missed another one, making for a good ending of a super slow trip. we headed back to the dock around 9:00 pm. Wind had eased up a bit, but it was still fairly windy and pretty cold. I ended up wearing two sweat shirts for the run back as it felt more like a fall evening rather than a summer one.

Last edited by CapeMayRay; 06-13-2018 at 08:43 AM.

Can't seem to get and easy charter. I feel like I have to fight for every fish we catch lately. Left the dock at 4:00 pm with single fly angler from Colorado. We had a light south east wind and headed to the ocean. Water was 65 degrees and a little dirtier than Tuesday but still looked pretty good with great conditions. Worked two different spots and never got a single hit. Coming back to the inlet there was some bird play. The first I have seen in ages. Must of just been bait fish with the strong incoming new moon tide. We never got any hits, saw any fish busting on the surface and didn't see any marks underneath.

Frustrated with the lack of action I headed to the back. Worked three prime spots and only got one small bass on a clouser using intermediate line. With the good late bite at the last spot on Tuesday I decided to go to that spot a little earlier in the tide so we would have more time to work it. We worked it to death and it looked great but was totally dead.

With only 15 minutes left in trip I moved to one last spot and found some 70 degree water that was 3 to 6 feet deep. Here there were finally some stripers. All small but action. With the trip so pathetic up to that time, I again gave gave the charter and extra hour of fishing time in hopes of making it a better trip. Switched him to floating line and using a black and chartreuse popping fly he got 7 more stripers to end the night on a high note. We stopped fishing at 9:00 pm and headed back to the dock.

Another brutally tough charter, which makes three in a row where it was difficult to find even a few fish. Left the dock at 4:30 pm with a one person fly charter. He was from the west coast and probably one of the best fly casters and fly fisherman that I have had out.

Wind was blowing from the west fairly good and I knew it would it would flatten out the ocean pretty good and with the good tide the the water should be cleaner and there should be some fish. Thursday was was the highest new moon tide with 6.4 feet of water moving. On the down side it was the lowest low tide of the month. It was so low a some boats at my marina were high and dry in their slip. When we headed to the ocean. The incoming tide looked like mud around the inlet and along the beach front. With all that outgoing tide it stirred up the mud pretty good. Charter had one hit hooking about a 2 lb bluefish that bit off the fly right before I could net it.

With the best action the last couple of nights in the back bay we headed to the back in search of cleaner water and some fish. Water in the back was about as bad as it could get. It was dark brown, had lots of weed. Even with the strong incoming tide it didn't seem to be clearing up like it normally would. We moved from one spot to another looking for clean water or some signs of bait. We searched everywhere and finally went to where we caught best on Wednesday and found much cleaner water and some small signs of bait fish.

Switched charter to the same popping fly that worked the night before and thought we would have good action in the 3 to 6 feet deep water. It looked just like the night before, there was less wind and I anticipated good action. Everything looked perfect. It wasn't to be. Even putting in an extra hour of fishing time like the two previous nights did not do the trick. Charter struggled only catching two stripers out of the 4 hits. They were each only about 18 inches.

Water just never cleared up. Even near the top of the incoming tide when we passed under the bridge on our way back to the dock at 9:30 the water still was not very clear.

This should be prime time for schoolie stripers, bluefish and some weakfish. Instead the fishing is the worst I have ever seen and with little to no real bait fish around for fish to feed on. When you work all the text book go to spots where fish should normally feed and find them all dead you have to assume there just are not many fish around.

After three tough trips in a row it was nice to get out and have good weather and decent action. Left the dock at 6:30 am with two fly anglers. Little to no wind, the water was cleaner than I have seen it in a while and the fish were even biting. Went to the ocean and found 66 to 67 degree water. First spot we found some weakfish, some small stripers and a fluke, and missed a few strikes.

With the incoming tide and perfect conditions I worked the spot to death. I didn't want to leave it in search of better fishing. The action was not hot, but steady enough not to leave. We got stripers to 21 inches weakfish from 15 to 19 inches and one fluke before we headed back to the inlet where we got a few more small stripers.

All fish were caught on chartreuse/white clousers using sinkin line and all the fish were released including the weakfish that were all keeper size. All and all it was a pretty good morning.
    rob and fdformicola like this.

Had a aunt that wanted to take here 15 and 12 year old nephews out fly fishing. We left the dock at 2:00 pm to fish the start of the out going tide. Boys only had small stream trout fishing experience with no casting skills good enough to cast heavier saltwater fly rods. With a mid-day trip I knew it would be fairly tough. We headed to the inlet and found the water nice and clean and 66 to 67 degrees. With no fly casting skill I had them use spin rods and swimming plugs. First cast they got a schoolie striper and within the next 15 minutes got another quick two small bass. I was thinking that it was going to be a great trip.

From there it went down hill. With perfect tides and clean water I switched them off to jig heads to target weakfish and fluke. We worked where we caught this weekend and got no hits so we moved to the inlet where you can always get a few fish, but found nothing and with the younger boy feeling a bit green from the small swells we were forced to move into the back bay. Really didn't want to go back the with bright sun but we had no choice. There switching back to plugs we worked a few prime spots and got zero hits.

It was then time for plan C. We moved to and area where I have often chummed up some stripers in deeper water where the sun would not be an issue. We used clams for bait and clam bellies for chum. Caught about 20 sand sharks with three of them going over 4 feet long, before heading back to the dock at 6:00 pm. Just and overall tough day fishing.

For me it was really disappointing. This time of year there should be good action on gulp with jig heads. Nothing big but plenty of action with, a bunch of short fluke, some spike weakies, sea bass and bluefish. I have not seen a single bluefish in probably the last three weeks.

Had a nice surprise Thursday afternoon. Striper fishing was pretty good. Not a fly trip. We left the dock at 4:30 with a father and son light tackle fishing. With it cloudy a light breeze and looking like rain most of the day I decided to start in the back bay and work the begining of the out going tide. Water was nice and clean and 68 to 69 degrees. They caught the first striper right away at first spot. We worked about 10 different spots during the trip and got hits at a number of different spots. All small schoolies. (a batch of fish must have moved in) We never left the back bay flats. They caught 8 small stripers out of the 15 strikes that they had. They did best with the swimming plugs as with poppers they tended to try and set the hook as soon as a bass would swirl of hit, pulling it too far away from the fish. All was great for about 2 hours. Then the sun came out, the wind died to zero and the gnats came out in full force. (The worst I have seen this year.) Even with the bug spray they were pretty bad, but the fish still kept hitting.

Finally a fairly easy for trip me and they had a good time, catching some fish. We headed back to the dock by 8:30 pm. Won't have a chance for a repeat as with forecast of high winds and rain I have already cancelled tonights trip.

Again not a fly report

After canceling Fridays trip I was anxious to get out and see if the fish were still around in the back bay as again we had another great tide. I was lucky to get the trip in as they were forecasting a good chance or rain and thunderstorms right at the time we were to be out fishing. We left the dock at 4:30 pm with it looking threatening to the south and west. Since we were not going to be that far from the marina I figured we would give it a shot as we could zip back pretty quickly if need be. Had a father and his 10 year old son out spin fishing. The son broke the ice and caught the first striper of the night on a swimming plug.

With the tide still coming in we worked around the sod banks picking a fish here and there. Weather held up pretty good. At one time we even had the sun peak through and it was hot, but that didn't last long. Wind filled in off the ocean and it got cool and damp with fog and a heavy mist forcing us to put on sweat shirts to stay comfortable.

It really turned out to be a pretty good night of fishing and they both had a fun time. None of the fish were big, but fun on light tackle. We even had one spot were we caught 4 bass with two on at once. They ended up catching a total of 8 stripers on the night and must of missed another 7 or 8 fish.

With about 5 minutes left in fishing we saw a big flash of lighting through the fog and heard a good crack of thunder, so we quickly pulled in the lines and raced full speed back to the dock. Just about got the last line tied to the dock and it started to rain and a minute later it came down like a wall of water and rained super hard for about 1/2 an hour. It all happened so fast, I never got a chance to put on my foul weather gear and just worked in the rain to get the gear and boat put away. By the time I got back to the car I was like a drowned rat and soaked to the bone. Even had to turn on the heat in the car to warm up on the way home.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in