Shrimp flies
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CapeMayRay

Thread: Shrimp flies

Default Shrimp flies

Does anyone have a good grass shrimp pattern to share? My flyfishing experience is primarily central PA trout streams, with a little southwest Florida saltwater too, but I’d like to start in the NJ back bays. I’m also curious if anyone uses a shrimp pattern as a teaser when bucktailing. Many times in the past, fluke I have caught were spitting up grass shrimp. I used a small shrimp pattern as a teaser above a bucktail recently. The shrimp teaser caught about 25% of the fluke that day, along with a nice surprise keeper weakie that was released.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Good shrimp patterns take time to make and do not have the action for a teaser as you want to use it. I believe if you want to use a fly as a teaser a spearing pattern made of buck tail will work better. Most shrimp patterns are more of a drift and let it settle naturally when fishing with a fly rod. If you are using a bucktail with a spinning rod, you might just put a hook on a dropper loop above your bucktail and put a gulp minnow on it. The tail fluttering action should do what you want.

Thanks for your response, Ray. I did connect the shrimp pattern above the bucktail via a dropper loop. And the bucktail had a Gulp swimming mullet on it. Is there a spearing pattern that you like best? With so much pressure in the back bays, and so many people fishing gulp, I’m trying to find ways to present the fish with baits they see less frequently, but still appear to be their natural food source. And I am trying to stock a fly box with the proper flies, so that I am prepared when I get the chance to bring the fly rod. By the way, I’ve enjoyed reading your posts and hope your comments about giving up chartering were just a rant after a few particularly difficult trips.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Pretty much any clouser or deceiver fly will work. Stripers are not really fussy. If they see it they will eat it. I like chartreuse and white with some flash as it stands out the best. There are really no bad color combinations. If you are fishing the back bay rather than use bucktails with a teaser you would do better with a swimming plug or popping plug with a teaser in front. Personally I do not use teasers as if stripers are around hooking up two at the same time is not much fun as they want to swim in different directions.

If you want to fish for stripers, before sunrise to about 8:30 am or late afternoon till after dark are the best times. Also all night. At these times stripers will be feeding closer to the surface and wander the shallow flats. Fishing flies and plugs work best at these times. The only time a bucktail might be needed if fishing deep water.

As far as giving up chartering it is pretty much for certain. I have canceled the last 15 trips that I have had booked and I not taking any more bookings. After seeing the steady decline in the fishing here for the last 10 years and the total breakdown of fishing mid summer the last two years the hand writing has been on the wall for some time. You have to ask yourself as a captain or guide, would I want to pay for a trip, with the fishing like it is now. In talking to my clients they are disappointed they can't go fishing, but appreciate the honesty on how the fishing really is. With the fishing declining for so long and little to no hope of conditions improving there is really no choice for the type of fishing that I specialize in.
    shbackbay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mapmaker View Post
    Does anyone have a good grass shrimp pattern to share? My flyfishing experience is primarily central PA trout streams, with a little southwest Florida saltwater too, but I’d like to start in the NJ back bays. I’m also curious if anyone uses a shrimp pattern as a teaser when bucktailing. Many times in the past, fluke I have caught were spitting up grass shrimp. I used a small shrimp pattern as a teaser above a bucktail recently. The shrimp teaser caught about 25% of the fluke that day, along with a nice surprise keeper weakie that was released.

I bet bonefish patterns would work, really fun to tie.
    That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Theres a bunch of bonefish flies that are similar to crazy charlie fly. You can find stiles on youtube and then just go crazy with your own variations

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in