Fishing Reports August 1 to August 31
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CapeMayRay

Thread: Fishing Reports August 1 to August 31

Default Fishing Reports August 1 to August 31

<p>
    The fishing here in Cape May area has been so poor that I haven&#39;t taken out a charter since the end of June.&nbsp; I keep going out at prime times and tides myself and find the fishing very poor at best. &nbsp; Too poor to take out paying clients. &nbsp; There is just so few fish and so little bait fish for them to feed on even if they were around. &nbsp; Since I have canceled all trip and decided not to book any more trips till the end of the year, I am making it official.&nbsp; I am shutting down my charter fishing business as of today. &nbsp; There is just no fun in taking out clients anymore and having to struggle to find just a few fish, let alone find some decent ones.</p>
    <p>
    &nbsp;</p>
    <p>
    Last night went out personally with a fly fishing buddy. &nbsp; We worked the inlet jetties for an hour and half, getting one hit and landing a 16 inch striper on a clouser. &nbsp; Water was nice and clean and 71 to 72 degrees.&nbsp; With no action we went to the back bay. &nbsp; Here we again had perfect conditions.&nbsp; Light wind, hardly any greenheads, but the water was in the upper 70&#39;s. &nbsp; We worked 8 different really good spots.&nbsp; The mind said there should be fish here, but the fishing proved otherwise. &nbsp; We fished in the back for 3 hours and never got a single hit, other than a couple of small 10 inch blues that tried to eat a fly. &nbsp; We couldn&#39;t believe how poor the fishing was an being frustrated were going to call it a night. &nbsp; I suggested we try one last spot. &nbsp; Here in 15 minutes we got 4 quick stripers.&nbsp; a 16, 21 1/2, 23 and a 24 inch stripers and that was it. &nbsp; The action stopped as fast as it started. &nbsp; Without that last minute mercy bite it would have been a horrible night. &nbsp; We must of been lucky and found one small pod of fish in a small concentrated area.</p>
    <p>
    &nbsp;</p>
    <p>
    Picture below makes it look like we had a super night of fishing, when it fact we were just plain lucky at the end.&nbsp; I will still keep the boat for personal fishing and keep banging my head against the wall till there isn&#39;t a fish around. &nbsp; Very sad to see what use to be such a great fishery and area to fish, turn into a dead zone.</p>
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 08-10-2018 at 03:51 PM.
    rob likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

<p>
    Don&#39;t know how or why all that crap came up in post. I couldn&#39;t get it out, so I just had to let it go.&nbsp; It seems to be in this one too?????</p>

rob

Quote Originally Posted by CapeMayRay View Post
    <p>
    Don&#39;t know how or why all that crap came up in post. I couldn&#39;t get it out, so I just had to let it go.&nbsp; It seems to be in this one too?????</p>
    report it to the canadiens!!!

------------

Rob

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

1st time on in a LONG while. So sorry & thank you Ray for starting August. I am in Charleston S. Carolina fishing with a guide tomorrow for over-slot redfish on poppers. Using 10wt. fl. Hoping for a good trip. Weather looks decent. Will report. Heading to Keys Wed. for some lobster & night fishing on the reef for large mangrove snappers. Hope I will need help posting pictures. Hope all are haaving a good summer & get out & fish.
    Last edited by sparse grey; 08-13-2018 at 03:44 PM.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

Excellent trip. Fished shallow water & flooded grass. Lots of trout, bluefish & redfish, mostly over slot & all on poppers. George used a zara spook, walk the dog, & I used fairly large foam popper with buck tail & splayed grizzly,mono weed guard which worked well. The best for me was a bass 2 casts away in flooded grass. We saw 3+ & 1 came close enough. Got out of the boat using a fly to represent fiddler crab. Made a short stalk, she was moving faster than expected. Guide said they were "crawling" back was out of the water. Had one shot foot or so in front, guide said stop, wait, fish kept coming, little strip & the fish "pounced" on the fly. Never saw a strike like that & she was off into the back fast & the line made it through the grass fairly well & she ran, turned & ran some more all the time visible & begrudgedly came in. It was reallyneat to be standing in flooded grass with a front row seat to see all this. One of the most remembered fish. Do need some help posting pictures please. Heading to our Melborne home shortly & the Keys Wed.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

<p>
    Ron, Good to hear you had some great fly fishing. Hope you get to post some pictures. Things here in Cape May are still dead. Beautiful clean water 74 to 75 degrees in the ocean and 76 to 79 degrees in the back bay. Do not hear or see of anything decent being caught. Had a fly fishing friend down for the weekend. We went out Saturday on a good tide late afternoon. No hits at all in the ocean. Did see a few 8 to 10 inch blues chasing our flies. After and hour and a half with no strikes we moved to the back to work a few good spots. Buddy John got the only hit and landed this bluefish. Whoopie Do!! Did get to take the grand kids freshwater fishing earlier in the week. Got a mess of sunfish one really good size snapper turtle and a red eared turtle. Felt good to at least have decent action. Seems like it is the only show in town.</p>

rob

Ray,

Sorry to hear of the bad fishing, backbays up here are l o a d e d with bait, many small blues, some stripers etc though i havent been out flyfishing... been clamming

Had my grandsons out a few weeks back and one caught a fairly big snapping turtle on a worm. First I had ever seen in that pond.

------------

Rob

<p>
    Did something that I had not done in awhile. Went out on a charterboat other than mine. A friend of mine actively does a number of charters aboard the Hunter out of Barnegat Light. It is great boat to go out on and the owner operator is a fellow Captain that I have known for years. I asked to jump on a trip the next time they were going out. Went out yesterday with the group of 10 other anglers and had a great trip despite strong easterly winds and good size swells and cross chop not allowing for the most perfect drifts. We caught a lot of fish, many just short, plus some bluefish and other junk fish. We all had a great time. Not sure how many keeper fluke ended up in the box, but each one of us had a nice bag of fluke filets to take home. Even though it was not fly fishing it sure felt good to get out and catch some fish. Hope to do it again or get out on one of his fall striper trips as the bass just don&#39;t seem to make it down here early enought to have some fun anymore.</p>
    <p>
    &nbsp;</p>
    <p>
    Might have to start some land locked striper fly fishing. &nbsp; Got clients that keep sending me pictures of beautiful big stripers that they are catching on a fly in shallow freshwater rivers. &nbsp; The fish are really nice compared to what little dinks we have around here. &nbsp; Going to have to try and get down there and try something different.</p>
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 08-22-2018 at 11:06 AM.

Went out Thursday night with a perfect tide in the late afternoon to fish the last of the incoming and the begining of the out going. Water coming in the inlet was 74 degrees. We headed to the back. Water there was 80 to 81 degrees really pushing fishies tollerance levels. We worked a ton of really great spots for three hours and between the two of us we had one 17 inch striper and a 8 inch bluefish. Right after the sunset I found a spot closer to the inlet where the water in the back was now 74 to 76 degrees and we picked up a quick 7 more bass on popping flies in that one small area. All dinks with the largest 21 inches. Was a perfect night for fishing, a little cooler, the wind died to nothing but the gnats were super bad. Should of only fished the last hour of light as first 3 hours were tough and a bit boring. Bite stopped as soon as it got dark and the moon got bright. Best trip in ages.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in