Fishing Reports March 1 to March 31
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By CapeMayRay
  • 1 Post By CapeMayRay
  • 1 Post By CapeMayRay

Thread: Fishing Reports March 1 to March 31

Default Fishing Reports March 1 to March 31

For those die-hard fly fishermen still hanging in there I thought I would report on my Fishing in Florida. Just got back from three weeks in the sunshine state. Was lucky from the first day I got down there it was in the 80's till almost when I left for my trip back home.

Never got any really large fish, but had good action everytime I went out. I stay down in Palm Bay, Florida and fish the Indian River and Turkey and Crane Creeks. Most action was in the Indian River. I like to fish the sand bars off of the dredge spoil islands that they created years ago. Nice sandy bottom areas just off the main channel with a decent drop off. I use sinking line and primarily chartreuse/white clousers.

Always seemed to find a mixed bag of fish. Bluefish, tons of specks, ladyfish, jacks and a few croakers. Fly was the most productive. On the days that my brother and neighbor would go out with me they caught on weighed rubber baits.

I freshwater fished a fair amount but again only caught small fish, were normally I can snag a few decent ones. Might of been due to the fact that I rarely fished prime time in the mornings or evenings. I mainly freshwater fished in the brightest sun of the day. (not the best)

Found a lot of tarpon in a few creeks. They would be gulping air or just tail. Drove me crazy. Creeks were about 30 feet wide and 7 feet deep and I couldn't get a single hit. Tried a number of flies. Big, small and every color. Slow retrieves, fast retrieves and no retrieves. I will just have to learn how to get them for next year.

Did get some snook, mostly all about the same size.

Fished half the time and raced remote control sailboat regattas all over the state the rest of the time. I put on over 1500 miles on my blazer covering both coasts. The time went by fast and saw the first cold days just as I was ready to head home.
    rob and Red Eye Nester like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Last day that I fished it rained most of the day and was it was start of all the cold air moving through. Got out for a few hours late afternoon. It was actually cold and breezy, but the fish bit. Got the usual specks, jacks and ladyfish on the same sinking line and clousers. Most of the fish seemed to be feeding closer to the bottom, especially on the bright sunny days as there were plenty of pelicans and ospreys around looking for food. Even got the smallest speck that I have ever seen. Felt it hit, but with so little fight I didn't know what it was.

That l
    ast day my brother got a small grouper on a rubber storm bait. Put up a really great fight on light tackle and was the surprise catch of the day.

Always seem to have the best fishing when there were dolphins working the same area that I was fishing. They didn't seem to spook the fish at all.

I had a great 3 weeks of fun in the sun. Got in a good amount of fishing and sailing in, even winning a couple of trophies, but it was tough to put on the long pants and coat for the trip home. I left at midnight and got back to Cape May at 5:00 pm. Had to keep turning up the heat higher and higher as I got closer to home. Through the Carolinas there was ice on some of the puddles along the road and I saw the first signs of snow in Delaware. Life is back to normal as I was greeted to temps in the 30's

With the clocks turning ahead tonight and spring type weather hopefully coming soon, it won't be long before fishing will start around here.
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 03-10-2019 at 10:07 AM.
    rob likes this.

Glad you made it down & caught some. Been a little tough for me the last few weeks. K W crud & fairly windy Hard to post on the Bass Barn for me & I hope this goes on. Thanks for your help & "hello" to all.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

rob

Ray,

Looks like you had a great time and that last spec didn't seem too shabby to me

Thanks for the report!
    Last edited by rob; 03-11-2019 at 10:20 AM.

------------

Rob

Speck keeper size in Florida is 15 inches. Every trip in the Indian River we got some keeper size specks, but we release everything we catch as they are experiencing similar problems like we see up here. Flats that use to have a lot of grass on them are now barren. Still good fishing pretty much everywhere that I fish but not like it was 10 years ago. Seems like they have the same type of run off problems that we have. I still see good amounts of baitfish and mullet but nothing like it use to be.

For me it is still a little early for doing any saltwater flyfishing. Next week will start working on getting the boat ready and will try to get in by early April, so I can play with those early small stripers. With it being some what cold and windy I have been getting a lot of spring yard work done, so when the weather gets really nice I can go fishing. Today I raced remote control sailboats up in Mount Laurel and on the way back home to Cape May I stopped at a pickeral lake and fished for almost an hour. Got one hit and landed a small pickerel. Fish hit a small flashy baitfish patter fished on intermediate line. Only had the one strike, but it felt good to get my first fish for the year in Jersey. Water is still very cold. The fish felt like it was on ice when I removed the fly.
    Joey O likes this.

Tried to start a new report thread but no can do. If you can see this please respond to let me know.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

rob

I see this thread but what’s the issue with a new thread?

------------

Rob

Ron if you want I can start an April Thread. Only it will not be sticky. Only you can do that. Hope all is going well in Florida. I hope to start fishing sometime next week if we get a nice warm not too windy day. Ray

rob

Ron, if you're having trouble then you should be able to drop a note in the "Site Issues" forum to get help

------------

Rob

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in