Fishing Reports May 1 to May31 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Fishing Reports May 1 to May31

Fishing of a different kind this weekend. Had to run up to my daughters for Grand Kids school program and cub scout awards in the evening. On the way up I stopped at a cedar lake and managed two really small pickerel, the biggest maybe 12 inches long. (big thrill?) Saturday I raced a remote control sailboat regatta in Spring Lake. On the way back to my daughters I stopped at a lake and piked up a crappie and small largemouth. (a little more fun then the pickerel) Sunday it was back to Spring lake for another sailboat regatta with another type of boat that I race. All was going well. Good weather and good winds, sometimes too much wind. I was really doing well after the first 9 races and in the top three points wise, when an inexperienced sailor lost control of his boat in a big gust and hit me broad side. Boats were fairly far away and I couldn't see if there was any damage. Sailed it toward the finish line and the side that I was hit on was out of the water. Went to tack on the other side to head to the finish and within about 15 seconds my boat headed to the bottom of the lake like a submarine.

The lake right in Spring Lake is fairly shallow but my boat went down in the deepest part where it was 15 feet deep. Not wanting to loose a $700.00 boat I ran to the Reel Seat Tackle shop and got two of the biggest weighted treble hooks that you could use for snagging bunker and some crabbing line. Worked for about 2 hours in john boat trying to snag my boat and finally hooked it and was able to bring it to the surface without damaging anything else. (Biggest and best catch of the weekend) Got it right as I was ready to give up and was thinking I might have to hire a diver. Was really lucky as with the 20 mph plus wind the aluminum boat was drifting fast like a balloon on the water making it difficult to control the dragging hooks over where I thought the boat went down. Ended up in 6th place even without sailing the last 4 races.

You can see why she went down so fast. Will have to rename her U-Boat 28

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

rob

nice...who had the jon boat?

so glad you got Das Boot back heir capitan!

------------

Rob

We have a jon boat at the model sailing club there. We use it to change the racing bouys, depending on the wind direction or to retrieve a boat where battery or servo fails. Even though toy boats they get pretty expensive. I have one boat that I sail that was over $3,000.00 new last year. It has three mast and sail set ups for different wind speeds. Us old guys who use to race real sailboats can still have fun trying to kick each others butts. Still just as competitive as when we were younger and a lot less work than a real boat. No having to find a crew or have to feed and supply them with beer.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

With all the sailing this weekend and all the heavy wind yesterday hadn't fished since Thursday. Mid morning I was doing some work around the house and noticed there was very little wind. Checked the weather and they said there 6 mph winds out of the north northeast and it was going to pick up a bit and switch to south southeast in the early afternoon and Thursday they were calling for pretty good winds again. Made a quick call to fishing buddy Peter and we left the dock at 11:00 am. and would catch the last half hour of the incoming tide and fish outgoing. Water was as clean as I have seen it all year. Looked more like Florida water then Jersey water. We decided to work inside the inlet before heading out and running down beach. Water was 56.4 and it didn't take long before I got the first striper. After catching a few stripers we decided to move. The next two spots also held stripers. In total we caught 17 with most in the 17 1/2 to 22 inch size. Also caught 2 19 inch bluefish that I kept for dinner. Everything was caught on chartreuse/white clousers on sinking line. We tried 3 additional spots in the ocean and got no hits but did have a nice fish follow fly close to the surface before turning away. I was looking down on it and couldn't tell if it was a bass or a weakfish as it happened pretty fast. With the bright sunlight and the super clear water, it might of been a little too nice. On the way back to the dock we decided to go into the back bay and try 2 nice rip lines around a sod bank area. Neither of us got a hit and again the water was very clean and with the bright light, not productive so we headed back to the dock around 3:00 pm. Never saw any signs of any baitfish the whole trip.

Hadn't fished for awhile. Fluke opening day I had to go to a memorial service in Mt Laurel for a good friend who died of heart attack after we raced remote control boats last weekend. It was a real shocker as he was only 58 and in great shape with no previous conditions. He died of a heart problem similar to mine, only he never made it to even the hospital where he could of been helicoptered to a heart facility. (not a good start to the memorial day weekend)

Rest of the weekend was fun. Had my daughters family down and the two grand kids 5 and 8 years old. Took the family out for a joy ride and to look at the dolphins. No fishing as it was the typical everybody and their brother out fishing or cruising. Holidays are always like the scene in the JAWS movie. Even went to the beach and all the other things associated with Memorial day weekend and kids. Arcade, downtown, golf, bike riding and the Memorial Parade Service at the Coast Guard Base.

Early afternoon after company left for home I decided I would give fishing a try now that all the crazies would be off the water. Almost didn't go as the both high tides of the day were going to be very low and there would be very little current to activate feeding. The deciding factor was little to no wind. Left the dock at 6:15 pm with the tide about 1/2 out. Went to the back bay first to try a couple of rip lines that should produce. Water in the back was 67 to 70 degrees but the water was very brown. (probably from all the rain during the thunderstorms last night.) Got one hit and landed a 16 1/2 inch striper on the first rip line and got one hit and landed a 17 inch striper on the other rip line. They were caught on chartreuse/white clousers fished on intermediate line. After spending 20 minutes on each rip I decided to move to the ocean.

Ocean water was 61.8 to 62.9 and nice and clean. It was beautiful and there was only one other boat out that I saw fishing. First spot that I tried I got a quick almost back to back 4 stripers. Fish were from 20 to 23 1/2 inches long. All caught on chartreuse/white clousers on sinking line. With the wind and wave action down to almost nothing I decide to make another move and go try for some weakfish.

First fish that I hooked up was a 17 1/2 inch fluke and the second was my first spike weakfish of the season. Shortly after that I hooked a really nice weakfish around 24 to 25 inches only to loose it trying to net it. That is the only problem with using 9 foot fly rods. Trying to net decent fish without high sticking and breaking your graphite rod. Could of used a net man. Didn't ask anyone to go out with me as I thought the fishing might be pretty slow. The rest of the night I got 2 more spike weakfish and called it quits about 9:00 pm.

rob

Love the weakfish reports hearing up and down this year.

------------

Rob

Weakfish are a real treat when you get them as they are fairly scarce at best anymore and the big ones are even fewer. Hopefully they will come back some day and I will be able to take one home for dinner without feeling guilty. (I really doubt it) They are really tasty and I can't remember the last time I killed one to eat. It might of been in the 80's when there were still a decent number around.

Decided to do an early afternoon trip today. Main land was really hot and close to 90 and they were calling for severe thunderstorms in the late afternoon into the night. Left the dock at 2:00 pm with a spin fishing friend to fish the incoming tide. Water in the harbor was 67 degrees. Felt good when we turned to go out to the ocean. It was like air conditioning with the light wind coming off the 61 degree ocean water. Started along the inlet rocks and we picked up a few small stripers. Moved to a second spot were we caught some more stripers and a nice bluefish that I kept for dinner. Made another move to where I have be getting some weakfish and I only had one bite. It was a nice weakfish but it got off well before we could get it close enough to net. Water in the ocean was nice and clean. I got all my fish on a chartreuse/white clouser fished on sinking line with most hits close to the bottom. My buddy was fishing storm swim baits with natural color. We fished till around 5:00 pm. when off in the far distance we could see it starting to cloud up a bit. When we came back to the inlet the water near the top of the tide was 59.8 degrees. We ended the day with 14 small stripers to 22 inches and the one nice bluefish. (had it tonight and it was great) Good to be home and inside as right now storms are getting close and it looks pretty nasty.
    rob likes this.

Bit of a disappointing trip on the last day of the month. Weather was going to be nice all day with light winds. The choice was to either go out early afternoon and fish the start of the incoming in the heat of the day or fish the top of the tide and the start of the out going with lower light. Left the dock at 5:00 pm with fly fishing buddy. It was very hot all day and when we left the marina it was still very warm and the harbor water was 67 degrees,

We headed to the ocean and when we turned to head out the inlet it was pretty cool as the water was 59.8 with the incoming tide. We worked inside the inlet and picked up a couple of small stripers and missed one using clousers on sinking line. While fishing we noticed a lot of activity north of the inlet. Checked it out and found it was a large mass of adult bunker that a school of dolphins had herded together. We tried fishing underneath all the busting bunker, hoping that a big bass might be under it. Bunker were so thick we could feel them bumping into our sinking fly lines and we were foul hooking them on almost every cast. A couple of boats came over to snag and drop, We didn't see them catch the with all the foul hooking we moved to the south side of the inlet. It too was packed with bunker and again we were foul hooking it like crazy and there were a number of boats working that pod.

With so much bait in the water and a great tide for working the back bay we moved to the back. I was sure there would be good activity in the back.
    I Found the water in the way back 68 to 70 degrees. We were looking for white egrets to show us were some bait fish might be as we cruised from one normally hot area to another. We really covered a lot of ground and found it absolutely pitifully for this time of the year. (Usually there is good back bay action in the back by the 20th of May.) Buddy had one hit and I got one hit and landed a small striper using intermediate line and a clouser. With it so dead we decided to head back out to the ocean. There was still a good pile of bunker around and we decided fish away from all the bunker. We picked up 3 more small stripers and fished till 9:00 pm.

When we headed back to the inlet the water was 58.2 degrees. We did get some fish on the night, but we worked hard for every fish and still not seeing any small baitfish around in the ocean or the back bay by this time of the year is really a bit strange. It is not a good sign at all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in