Fishing Reports May 1 to May31
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Fishing Reports May 1 to May31

Default Fishing Reports May 1 to May31

Busy morning, but noticed there was very little wind. Decided to do a mid day trip. I have been fishing either the last of high or the out going tide. Left the dock and 1:45 pm to fish the incoming tide. Marina was infested with gnats and we couldn't get out of there quick enough. Water at the dock was 62.4 Ocean was 55 to 56 degrees. Good tide moving and water looked pretty clean. Talked to another fisherman outside the inlet and he said earlier he got some small bluefish so we thought we might see another species other than our targeted striped bass. In the first 5 minutes I got a good hook up. Turned out to be a 19 1/2 inch sea herring. A couple of casts later my buddy got a small striper. We thought we were going to have a great afternoon. It was not to be. The weather and conditions were the best that I have fished in this year but the action was dead. We worked about 5 normally good spots in the ocean and caught nothing else. Before we came back to the inlet we fished in tight to the surf and kept getting some really small hits but could not hook up. Finally I almost landed a super small fluke that must of be 7 or 8 inches long. Think that was what was hitting our flies.

Even with a nice fast moving tide at the inlet there was no signs of life or birds. Still trying to save the day we headed to the back to try a good incoming tide spot. Again the gnats were bad and the fishing even worse so we headed in. Better than being home, but not what we expected.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

My last trip was much slower than normal even though I thought I had a good tide and conditions. When I got home I just happened to look at the lunar fishing talbes for Cape May and they said I was fishing a fairly poor day at a poor time of the day. Never really paid any attention to lunar tables. Just happened to look at today and it said it was a good day over all and the best time would be 12:58 pm till around 2:58 pm. Decided to check it out and see if there was anything to it.

Buddy Paul and I left the dock at 12:45 pm. Weather was overcast, damp and a little foggy. We headed to the ocean and tried two quick spots with out a hit. Even though it was a light northeast wind we had fairly good sea swell making it a bit difficult to fish exactly were we wanted. The water was 56.5 degrees and fairly clean and we were fishing the mid to bottom of the out going tide. Move to third spot and I told Paul that lunor table said we should be in prime time starting now. Who knows, we started catching sea herring on chartruese/white clouers. Paul was having better luck than me. I was using a larger clouser and working for bass. He was using a double fly rig with a little smaller clouser and even smaller clouser trailing off the back of the main one.

We had a good steady pick of sea herring and we caught into the 20's, 12 of which I kept to salt down for fluke bait. Every once in a while we would get a small striper.

About mid-way into prime time Paul got a nice hit and we knew it was a better fish as it started pulling line off his reel. We were both thinking a better bass or perhaps a nice bluefish. As he was reeling it in I notice the nice flash of dark pink and knew he had a nice weakfish. The Weakfish was 27 1/2 inches long. We got a couple of pictures and released to produce more weakies and be caught another day.

With the tide changing around 2:10 the seas seemed to settle down but with the colder incoming tide the fog started to fill in pretty good. Before we headed in we went back to one of our first spots that hadn't produced. This time we caught herring and I caught my best striper of the day. With it past lunar table prime time we head back in around 3:45 pm. Nice to have a good GPS as we needed to find our way back to the inlet with the heavy fog.

Was it the lunar tables, just luck or what ever? We had a great afternoon of fishing for what ever reason and I will look at the lunar tables now to see if I find them to really hold true.
    fdformicola and Sealion like this.

Monday night after dinner I went to Cape May Point to fish the incoming tide, figured I might have a shot at some fish. Use to always fish there this time of the year and have sucess catching a few fish. Found the water really ugly. It looked like liquid mud. Must of been all the heavy rains from the weekend. Made about 10 casts and figured I would be beating a dead horse, so I quit. Did see a couple of spiny dogfish caught by a guy fishing bunker. Will get out in the boat today and hope to find the ocean cleaner.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

rob

I had a few follows by small blues last week, hope to find more than just blues tomorrow morning, and perhaps get a couple to bite.
    We'll see!

------------

Rob

Shouldn't of fished Yesterday. Was suppose to be a light wind day. Checked the lunar tables and they said it was to be a so so day at best and that the best hours to fish were 10:28 am to 12:28 pm. Buddy and I left the dock at 10:15 am with the wind blowing out of the southeast pretty strong. Headed to the ocean. Water was 54.5 and a bit brownish but very fishable. The wind was annoying as it made for a good chop and it tough to have the control of the boat that I would like for fly fishing. We worked 4 different spots for an hour and half. I got one hit and landed a small striper on a clouser. With the wind getting stronger we moved to the back bay to try some out flowing creeks. Water in the back was much worse than out front. It was very brown. We did a hit and run at a number of good spots. My buddy had one small fish hooked but it came off before we saw what it was. With the wind and brown water we decided not to beat a dead horse and came in.

rob

Was roaming the wb rancocas looking for signs of trout today, only found sunnies... big ones and in full spawn colors. Fun but not the target species. I hate these rainbows for south jersey streams, if they had been brookies I'd have known where they were... in every snagly blowdown in the river. They supposedly stocked yesterday and I saw no anglers today.

Ah well, salt again next week.

------------

Rob

A couple of trips ago I started looking at the solar lunar fishing tables to see if they held any water. Not sure if I can say they work. You still have to prove them to me. I looked at them this morning and they said all day today was just going to be average and one of the poorer days of the month. The best fishing was to be early morning 6:47 to 8:47 and 7:15 to 9:15 tonight. Looking at the weather we were to have light winds late morning off the land and then by afternoon the wind was to pick up and switch to east southeast. I wanted to fish the calmest part of day starting around noon as I wanted to fish the ocean front. According to the lunar table the worse time for fishing during the day was going to be. 11:56 am to 12:56 pm.

I decided I was going to go out and temp fate just the same. Made a couple of calls to see if I one of my buddies wanted to go, but they had commitments.

Left the dock at 11:45 am and headed for the ocean to fish the last two hours of the incoming and some of the outgoing tide. Another negative was high tide was only going to be up 3.9 feet which is one of the lower high tides and there would not be as much current, which is bad when you fish for species that actively feed during times of strong currents.

Got to my first spot and found the water a touch dirty with a good sea swell so I could not get as close to the beach as I would normally like. The second cast I caught a nice 22 inch bluefish that I put in the live well for dinner. I worked the area for about a half and hour and picked 2 small stripers before moving to another spot. This spot was even tougher to fish the surf was fairly big and just couldn't work it the way I wanted to. (didn't get a hit) Moved to third spot where I caught a smaller blue around 17 1/2 inches.

With it slow I moved to a fourth spot where I fished most of the time. Here I got two more bluefish, one of which I kept for a buddy for his dinner. Then I got my fish of the day. Had a nice hit and it took off really strong taking my line to my reel. Didn't feel like a blue so I was thinking larger striper or nice weakfish. It went down under the boat and I had to put my rod tip down to clear my motor. Then it went back under the boat and I had to clear the electric motor. Finally tired it out and netted it. (Always a little tougher with a 9 foot fly rod) You don't want to high stick and break your rod. This is when you wish you had a buddy to help you. Turned out to be a nice 28 1/4 female weakfish. I was pretty excited. A guy who was going by, watched me catch the fish and offered to take my picture holding the fish before I released it. So far my day was going just fine.

Went back to fishing and caught another two bluefish and another small striper and had one bite off, before getting another nice hookup. Not as big as the first weakfish but a nice one non the less. This was another female and it was 20 1/2 inches long. Took a picture and released it.

By now it was starting to cloud up pretty good and the wind had shifted from the east and I decided to head back to the inlet and call it a day, but did stop at one area that looked really good. I made about 30 casts and caught 5 more stripers to 20 inches. Thought about staying out longer but I had to drop off buddies blue and clean mine for dinner. Headed in at 3:45pm.

Every thing was caught on chartreuse/white clousers using sinking line. If this is suppose to be a poor fishing day according the solar lunar fishing table I would really like to fish a good day. I think I am going to have to put those tables in with fortune telling, ghosts, and flying saucers. I will just fish what has worked for me in the past. Good tides, good conditions and what my gut tells me. All I needed was a fluke and I could of had a South Jersey Fishing Grand Slam.

rob

Those are nice weakies, Ray!
    Last edited by rob; 05-13-2019 at 10:21 PM.

------------

Rob

Always a treat to catch a few weakfish. A couple of years ago it looked like they might be making a come back but then the last few years there have not been as many. They are really a tasty fish to eat but I can't justify killing one until the stocks are in better shape. I miss the days when they were around and could be caught everywhere during the season.

Saturday did get my first ugly bass of the year. It had sea lice on it, the tail was all shreaded and bleeding. It had sores on it's mouth and was missing scales and the skin on the side looked abnormal. You wonder whether it was right to release it or should you of put it out of it's misery.

love to catch & release weakies my favorite fish hope they make a comeback in my lifetime

turn the poachers in & stop the waste

just a little more C&R
    let fishin be fun
    KILL ONLY WHAT YOU EAT
    BUY AMERICAN
    XVlll Abn Corp 65' to 67'

After working around the yard all day I was ready for a break. Checked the weather and they were calling for 9 to 10 mph winds. Left the dock at 3:30 pm with a plug fishing buddy and we headed to the inlet. We were a bit disappointed when we got there. The water was pretty brown and the wind was blowing out of the southeast around 15 mph. and there was a good chop on the ocean.

Brown water and the wind didn't seem to bother the fish. Started catching sea herring right away and the bite continued the whole time we fished. Chartreuse/white clouser was hot. My buddy was using a rubber swim bait and had one bite off from a bluefish and caught a couple of sea herring. I missed a bluefish and got on small striper. After getting bounced around for an hour and half we decided to leave the biting fish and head to the back bay.

Should of headed back earlier as with the close to full moon super high tide. (5.2 feet of incoming water) The tide was way up over the sod banks already.
    It was difficult fishing as we couldn't really see where the sod banks were, but we managed two bluefish and missed another, one of which I kept for dinner.

With the tide just starting to go out we decided to head in, instead of fighting all the straw that would be coming off the banks on the out going tide and were back to the dock by 6:30. We both had a good afternoon and I had a great bluefish dinner.

Had best trip of the year today. Started out similar to yesterday. Worked around the yard most of the day and with lighter winds than yesterday I decided to go out fishing again. Called my fly fishing buddy Peter and we left the dock at 3:45 pm. Again we were going to fish the incoming full moon tide which was going to be 5.4 feet of high water. Hit the ocean and the water was 55.6 degrees and much cleaner and far less rough than Wednesday afternoon and I was expecting a good sea herring bite like yesterday and maybe a couple of bluefish and stripers. Even saw a bald eagle sitting on a pole as we started to fish.

First spot that we tried I caught a nice 20 inch blue fish and my buddy Peter got bitten off. The second spot I caught a small striper. On our third move we hit the mother load. We both hooked up at the same time. Peter had the better fish so I let my fish run a bit and helped net his fish. It was a beautiful 23 inch weakfish. I then reeled in my fish and I had a 19 inch weakfish. Both of us were using chartreuse/white clouser flies and sinking line.

The rest of the afternoon we worked that spot to death. In total we landed 21 nice size weakfish. Most of the fish were 22 to 24 inches and all fought really great on 8 wt rods. We were having the afternoon of our lives. We must of just hit the right place at the right time. We had 4 times where we were both hooked up at the same time and must of missed another 7 or 8 that got off during the fight. In-between we also picked up another 3 bluefish and never got a single sea herring the whole afternoon. We took some pictures and released all fish and were soaking in every minute of our great trip.

It was the fantastic fly rod fishing and catching few and far between weakfish. It reminded me of the days when they were strong in the Delaware Bay and you could catch them with out hardly trying. We stopped fishing at 6:30 pm with the fish still biting as we both told our wives we would be back by 7:00 pm. for dinner.

It was just an awsome 3 hours of fishing. We will have to see it might just be the best trip of the year as a day like this is just comes along once in a blue moon.
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 05-16-2019 at 10:16 PM.

rob

Well, it was not the best day fishing at Corsen's Inlet yesterday, but was one of those "nice to be out there" trips. Met up with the club members at the lot, think about 10 including a couple of new fly anglers came out. There were some some stripers (15" ish) small blues, and a couple of small fluke caught by what info I could gather. For me, I had one good blue on at the inlet but got bit off, and then a couple of hits and that was it from 3:30 - 7:30 or so. Funny there was no wind for you Ray, up here there was a stiff S-SW wind in our face until about 7, maybe 10 steady with gusts to 15+. For a while it felt it went up steady to close to 15 but not for too long. As the sun got lower so did the wind... but the bite never picked up while I was there. I waited for the start of the outgoing and then had to leave.

------------

Rob

Sorry to hear it wasn't a great day at Corson's. Always from the beach you have to work harder for your fish and a bite off always hurts more. I alway like fishing there, but with the high full moon tide last night you probably ran out of room to even walk back to the car. When I said there were light winds, I guess it is all a matter of opinion. It was still fairly windy for us last night but nothing like the day before and by the time we were heading in the wind had picked up out of the southeast and the wave action also picked up with the electric motor prop popping out of the water here and there.

rob

Quote Originally Posted by CapeMayRay View Post
    Sorry to hear it wasn't a great day at Corson's. Always from the beach you have to work harder for your fish and a bite off always hurts more. I alway like fishing there, but with the high full moon tide last night you probably ran out of room to even walk back to the car. When I said there were light winds, I guess it is all a matter of opinion. It was still fairly windy for us last night but nothing like the day before and by the time we were heading in the wind had picked up out of the southeast and the wave action also picked up with the electric motor prop popping out of the water here and there.
    ok, yes, wind is always relative

Just when you are on shore, you can't change directions to accommodate too much. I haven't hit it really well at Corsen's... always a day (or week) late (or early), but that's fishing... and yes, the walk back was mostly slogging through water. Reminded me of wading the upper Delaware, but without the current (or stones... come to think of it, guess it's not like the big D LOL)

I didn't see bait guys on either side doing anything, nor the couple of boats drifting by, so it's not like the fish were there cleaning up chunks or anything else. If the one striper to my right or the 2 to my left had been any size, I would've been jealous but nah, not for 15" fish

------------

Rob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in