Fishing Reports June 1 to June 30 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Fishing Reports June 1 to June 30

Had a great forecast for Tuesday night. Fishing buddy Peter and I left the dock at 6:30 pm to fish the last of the outgoing tide, with dead low at 8:48 pm. With hardly any wind we left the dock and headed to the inlet. Water at the dock was 73. In the ocean was 68 degrees, with no wave action and very little current. The afternoon high tide was very low with only 3.9 feet of high water, so there was not much water to flow out.

It was one of those perfect summer nights that you dream about. It was in the 70's and all of the heat of the day was gone. There was no wind or wave activity and the fish were biting. We moved to first spot and started catching. Both of us fished chartreuse/white clousers on sinking line and in the shallow water we fished our flies bouncing on the bottom. We caught 4 species of fish.

We worked 4 spots on the night. Two produced and two were totally dead. We caught 1 sea bass, 5 fluke (two of which were keepers 18 1/2 and 18 1/4 inchers which we kept.) 7 nice weakfish and to end the night, after dark we stopped back at the inlet jetties and with still no signs of any tide moving were lucky enough to pickup two stripers to end the night. We headed for the dock at 9:30 pm. We released all our fish except for the 2 keeper fluke.

Also making the night special, we were treated to a super beautiful red sky sunset. It was a perfect night and a with a fluke dinner for Wednesday night, life is good.
    fdformicola likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

rob

Great report!

As an aside, got a chance to cast a 2 handed rod for the first time at last week's club meeting. For the surf, this rod would be a game changer, especially out front. Not suitable for a boat, nor needed, but effortlessly laid out 50' + on the first cast ever attempted.

Have to clear out some stuff, but do plan on getting a 2 hander in the future.

------------

Rob

I have tried those 2 handed rod. Never liked them. Yes you can get out a much longer cast. Might work better up north where you might try and cast out in between sand bars or a school of feeding fish might be working past normal casting range. Other than that you have to strip heavier line on a heavier rod. After a few hours of casting and striping it may get old. With a little practice you should be able to cast 75 feet with a regular fly rod. When I fish the surf I find most of the fish are in the wash right behind the first waves. Most of the time you will get your fish in close more so then the guys trying to cast to England. Like all fishing it is structure, structure, structure. Be it the wash, rip line, jetty etc. Fish are always looking for an advantage to feed and the water doesn't have to be all that deep. Fishing a prime are at a prime tide or time of day is much more important than being able to cast far.

If you get that 2 hander let me know how you like it and if it works for you.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

rob

Quote Originally Posted by CapeMayRay View Post
    I have tried those 2 handed rod. Never liked them. Yes you can get out a much longer cast. Might work better up north where you might try and cast out in between sand bars or a school of feeding fish might be working past normal casting range. Other than that you have to strip heavier line on a heavier rod. After a few hours of casting and striping it may get old. With a little practice you should be able to cast 75 feet with a regular fly rod. When I fish the surf I find most of the fish are in the wash right behind the first waves. Most of the time you will get your fish in close more so then the guys trying to cast to England. Like all fishing it is structure, structure, structure. Be it the wash, rip line, jetty etc. Fish are always looking for an advantage to feed and the water doesn't have to be all that deep. Fishing a prime are at a prime tide or time of day is much more important than being able to cast far.

If you get that 2 hander let me know how you like it and if it works for you.
    Will do. While your points are valid, there is definitely an application for the 2 hander. Not really a heavier line, since this was a 6 wt, the line was equivalent to a 9wt. The ease of casting 50 with this vs. 50 with a conventional is significant and IF distance is needed, it would definitely, without question, be easier with the 2 handed rod.

------------

Rob

Thought I would try and duplicate last night's fishing trip as the forecast for the night was exactly like Tuesday night. Left the dock at 6:30 pm with a spin fishing friend. We headed out to the ocean to fish the bottom of the out going tide. Ocean water was 68.2 degree and nice and clean. Unlike yesterday when there was very little wind we had about a 10 mph wind out of the southeast. There was a little bit of chop, but not bad. Compared to yesterday we caught fish at all 4 spots that we fished. We had another good night of fishing catching 19 fish in total, but all fish were smaller than the night before and quit fishing at 9:30 pm We caught 19 fish on the night. 7 fluke with the biggest about 16 inches and 12 weakfish with the largest at 18 inches with most 15 and 16 inches, I caught using a chartreuse/white clouser fished on sinking line and buddy caught on jig heads tipped with gulp mullet. Overall it was a good 3 hours of fishing and we released all fish.

We had another great sunset. Not quite as spectacular as last night, but still pretty good. Tonight with the wind it felt good to put on sweat shirts as it was cooler and the wind never died down like they said it would. Good night number wise, just no size to the fish.

Wanted to get in a fishing trip before all the weekend crazies get down and I have company this weekend and they do not fish.

No one was able to go out with me tonight so I headed out by myself. With the wind blowing fairly good off the ocean and with high tide around 6:00 pm I decided I would try the back as it has been awhile. Left the dock at 6:00 pm. First spot the water was clean and 71 to 73 degrees. Started out with a deceiver on intermediate line and caught 2 nice bass, 21 to 22 inches, but they had lots of red sores on them. Fishing 2 to 4 feet of water I switched to a steroid gurgler popping fly and floating line. Caught two more about the same size to 22 inches also with sores, I missed 3 other good top water hits and lost a decent fish that I thought I had hooked good. It looked to be about 24 or 25 inches. Had to work about a half mile of shore line as never got more than on hit or fish at any one spot.

When the tide started going out strong I decided to move to the other side of the sound where there were more creek where I usually do pretty well. It was a mistake. Water there was way warmer. 78 to 79.8 degrees. Wasn't getting any hits on the popper so I changed back to the deceiver. With the water so warm I was not getting the action that I anticipated so I when to where the water was a little cooler around 73 to 74. Got three more stripers but they were smaller and right as it was getting pretty dark at the end of my trip I caught a small fluke that hit my fly near the surface. Called it a night at 9:15 Thought the last part of the trip would of been the best fishing but it turned out even with the brighter light the first part was better. Had a fun night and there was never another boat out fishing where I was.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in