Fishing Reports October 1 to October 31
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Fishing Reports October 1 to October 31

Default Fishing Reports October 1 to October 31

Started the new month pretty good. With no decent fishing reports from friends and with it being pretty windy I have been patiently waiting for nice day. This morning was perfect. Light winds around 5 mph and cloudy. No one could make it out with me this morning so I did a solo trip. Left the dock at 8:00 am with the tide coming in with high around 10:30 am. Went to the inlet as I haven't fished in the ocean for awhile. Water was 70.1 degrees with decent swells and the water was a dirty brown. Don't know it is from all the dredging they did or just the wind, wave and new moon tides. Got two small blues around 10 inches and a 17 inch striper. I tried in close to the beach to check out what the dredging did and along the rocks I got a small throwback fluke. Everything was caught on clousers fished on sinking line.

Decided to move to the back bay and fish the shallow flats. First spot I got 3 really nice fish. One just over the 24 inch slot and one just under with another on at 21 1/2 inches. (Released the slot fish as I really just fish for them for the fun) There the water was 70.4 degrees, I saw a fair amount of small baitfish and they were caught on green popping fly fished on floating line.

Next move was up a small creek. With the sun higher I switched over to a clouser and intermediate line and caught one eating size bluefish (kept him in the live well hoping to get another to make a dinner for two but ended up releasing him at the end of the trip. Also got 3 more small stripers in the teens.

I tried two more spots, but the sun was breaking through the clouds, the wind was picking up and the tide was about dead high and well up over the sod banks in the back. Not getting any more hits and not wanting to wait for the tide to change, I headed back to the dock at noon. Overall it was a good start to the month and I had some fun.
    rob and Hardtop like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Looks like another day of no fishingl. Weather for Cape May is saying 17 mph winds, but wind gauge on top of the house is gusting to 32 mph. They are not even close today. With those high winds no type of fishing is any fun, let alone trying to fly fish. Hope we get a few nice days soon. Maybe this cooler weather this weekend will cool down the waters a bit and activate what fish we have around into feeding.

Planned on watching the Eagles this afternoon, but by half time it was 21 to 0 and it looked like it wasn't going to be much of a game to watch, so I decided to go fishing even with the winds in the 17 to 20 mph range. 3:30 pm, at dead high tide, my fly fishing buddy Peter and I left the dock with it very dark and cloudy with a good sotheast wind. Looked at the inlet and it was just too nasty with the wind and wave activity to have any fun so it was off to the back bay to search out some stripers. Water temps in the back were down from the 70's last week to 65 to 68 degrees.

First area we fished I put on a green popping fly and Peter put on a clouser. On my second cast I had a bass slam my popper. Missing it, he came right back slammed it again and I was hooked up. It was a nice 21 inch fish and completely swallowed my fly. Before Peter made his first cast he decided to switch to a popping fly too. I gave him one of mine that one of my past charter clients made for me. His first cast he missed a bass, but a couple of casts later he was hooked up and landed our best fish of the day. We worked the area really hard and getting no more strikes we moved on to another spot.

Spot two was up a creek. Here Peter got another striper on a popping fly and we had a couple of small bass that we missed. Tried another spot that usually produces but found it difficult to fish with all the wind and wave action. Getting no hits we moved on to a more sheltered spot. here I got another decent bass and we found one small area that was holding some very small stripers. They looked to be around 12 to 15 inches. They keep slamming our poppers but I think their mouths were just too small to swallow our big headed popping flies. We had 7 or 8 good shots at them but couldn't get a hook up.

Finally at the very last spot I got another decent striper and a eating size bluefish. At 7:00 pm with it getting dark and with the wind still blowing strong we decided to call it a night and get some dinner. We had a good afternoon of fishing and we were tired of taking some good hits in the back or the head with our popping flies. The strong winds, from the wrong direction made casting large popping flies a real challenge at times.
    ARMED4BEAR and rob like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Weather is a bit depressing. No rain but wind gusts at the house hit 30 mph today. Got my brother coming up from Florida for a class reunion and we thought we would get in some fishing on Thursday and Friday, but with the weather doesn't look like there is any place to hide and have any fun. They are calling for high winds for the next three days. Stopped by the harbor today for a look see. As much as die hard as I am there is no way I would want to go out with these winds.
    rob likes this.

Fishing was a bit tough tonight. My brother was up from Florida for a class reunion and was in Cape May for Thursday and Friday. We hoped to get in some fishing but winds were just blasting both days. Saturday afternoon the wind was around 10 mph and suppose to die out near dusk, so a spin fishing buddy and I decided to go out and give it a shot. We left the dock at 4:30 pm and headed to the ocean to fish the incoming tide. Got outside the inlet and the water was ugly brown, looked like mud and was 62.5 degrees. We fished it for about a half hour and getting no hits, seeing no bird play or bait fish, we headed to the back bay.

First stop in the back water was 62.3 Buddy had a nice fish on and it threw the hook. Second area that we fished the water was about the same temperature and had a ton of weed making it difficult to fish, but with stuck with it and found some stripers. The wind dropped down to zero and conditions were perfect. Problem was that we couldn't get them to the boat. We had a total of 6 blow up on our poppers or popping fly and had 6 what we thought were good solid hookups where we had the fish half way to the boat before losing all 6. I can't remember ever having that ever happen before. We didn't land one of them and they all seem decent fish in the 22 to 26 inch ranged that seemed solidly hooked.

Heading to our last spot to fish the sun was almost down and we had a beautiful sunset. Last spot was more of the same. I set the hook on a decent striper. It ran to the left and the took a nice run to the right and as it started back the other direction it was off. We both checked our hooks multiple times during the night and found them to be nice and sharp. One time my buddy had a striper scale on a treble and I had a striper scale on my fly. With it dark and both of us frustrated we called it a night at 7:30

Guess that is why they call it fishing and not catching. We at least had the excitement of the surface strikes and the short fights. It was a fun night but could of definitely been better.
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 10-13-2019 at 01:27 PM.
    rob likes this.

No saltwater fly fishing for the last week. Been away to visit Brother-in-law and Sister-in-law in North Carolina. Since they live in the north western part of the state near Boone and Blowing Rock I usually get in some fly fishing for trout. I only get two days to fish during our annual visit so I fish as long as I can. This past Tuesday I had perfect weather all day. Started fishing at 7:15 am at a creek that I found last year but really couldn't fish due to a passing hurricane that dropped 6 inches of rain making the stream a couple of feet higher than normal and making the water look like mud.

This year the stream was perfect. It was about 31 degrees at sunrise with frost all over and foggy steam coming off the water. Water level was good with a nice flow and very clear. I could see trout in every nice pool that I fished and would see some eating off the surface. I had a slow start only catching 4 trout by 11:00 am. I tried a number of different flies and would have a number of lookers but very few takers.

With the fishing slow I decided to move to another stream about 10 miles away. When I got there the water was super low and very muddy for some reason. I took about 20 casts and got back in the car and headed back to where I just left. I finally found the fly they liked. A all white, fairly large stimulator pattern. The trout couldn't get enough of it and I got 11 more trout before quitting at 5:00 pm. They were all decent size and a mix of browns and rainbows. I could see some really big trout in some of the deeper pools but they were not very aggressive. I finally did get a big one hooked up, but put too much tension on the line and popped my 4 lb test leader. The fish made a nice jump and was pulling drag off the line and I tried to palm the reel and just put too much tension on it. Did not get any pictures the first day as I was wading in waist deep water most of the time with a wading belt around my waders and afraid to risk dropping my I-phone in the water and it was too tough to get close to a shore as I had a hard enough time getting to where I wanted to be with the current and slippery rocks. (I think I will invest in a wading stick for next year as it was a little hairy at times) Caught all my fish working up stream and fishing the fly down stream towards me. All were caught in the deepest pools and the only way to get decent casts, where I wanted to put my fly was to be wading in the deep water. (Not my favorite way to fish)

Having a great trip I decided to get my second trip in on Wednesday. Woke up to pouring rain. Got to stream which was about 1/2 hour from the house and found it only drizzling which was good for putting on waders and gear. Drizzle did not last long. I got in about 15 minutes of fishing before it started coming down in buckets and it lasted for about and hour and half. I started right off catching but with the heavy rains, run off was starting to flow into the stream. At first is was only on one side of the stream and a long as I worked the clear water areas I would catch. I caught 8 trout by 10:30 am. but by then the whole stream looked like coffee with cream and I couldn't get a hit.

I did get some pictures on Tuesday as with the overcast clouds and heavy rains I had to get out of the stream as I could not see bottom where I was wading and was afraid I might slip or step into a hole and once the water started getting brown it was even worse. Before it got really bad I had another really good shot at a decent trout. Unfortunately I crawled out onto this huge boulder on my hands and knees so I could cast into this nice hole. It was tough enough just standing on it's rounded top and trying to cast. I hooked up a good one, got it to the base of the rock but was too high off the water to net it and there was no way to get off the rock with a fish on. I tried to lift it straight up the 4 feet and again 4 lb. test just was not strong enough.

Around 11:00 am the sun came out, it got a lot colder and the winds came in blowing up to around 30 mph. I decided to move to another stream that I fish where there is has more rock walls along the stream bed. Here I thought there would cleaner water. Water there was better, not great, but with the wind, the leaves falling in the water just kept catching my fly line or my fly and there too the water got muddier and muddier. I did get two more trout on that stream, but worked my butt off for them. I fished till around 3:00 pm and threw in the towel.

All fish were released as the streams that I fished are all catch and release this time of the year. Had a couple of fun days and already thinking about next year.
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 10-19-2019 at 09:24 PM.
    ARMED4BEAR, rob and Hardtop like this.

Forgot to mention. The first day there was a guy fishing that got 20 in brown out of one of the pools that I fished. He had a picture of it an said it was his biggest one ever.

Below are two pools at the second stream where I caught, on the day it rained. Usually the water is really nice and clear, but as you can see, the water in both of those pools was pretty brown.
    rob likes this.

I've been reading your posts for a while now, really like reading them. I see you were down in my relatives neighborhood. Boone County and the Boone's are relatives of mine. Back in the day when everything was wild, Daniel Boone's Brother married one of the girl's in my family, she was a Linville. The Boone's, Grandfather Mountain, Linville, NC, Mile-high Swinging Bridge... All family. Them and Linvilla Orchards in Media, PA. are all part of my family, Linvilla Orchards has a Trout lake too. Our family has been in the United States for over 330 years so far.

Keep posting em up CMR
    rob and Hardtop like this.
    liberals tell us to go along... I DON'T GO ALONG!

I
    ncoming Gunfire always has the Right-of-Way!

Amexit the UN, WHO, IMF, deep-state & Globalism!
    Truth to a liberal is like Salt to a Slug

...Melt a Snowflake

Wow some interesting history there. Some beautiful country in NC. The trout fishing is a nice change of pace for me and a lot of fun, but I like the saltwater fishing best as you never know what size fish you will get. Keep thinking, If the saltwater fishing keeps getting worse, there is some good land locked striper fishing in some of the southern states. One of my past charter clients has some great striper fishing in a river near his home in Tenn. He gets some really nice stripers and they are much bigger than I see around here anymore.
    rob and ARMED4BEAR like this.

Raced remote control sail boats this morning in Mt Laurel in a light drizzle and no wind and was hoping it would be like that when I got back to Cape May and I could get in a quick fishing trip before dark, but around noon the heavy rains came and it got very windy. When I returned to Cape May, I found out it rained all day and there were Super high tides with wind and rain this afternoon. Hope to get a trip in soon. This time of year gets tougher as we get more wind and the cold takes some of the fun out of the fishing. Plus the fish become fewer and fewer.

Worst fishing trip of the year today. Was anxious to get out fishing and they forecast was for 10 to 12 mph winds. Left the dock with 10 mph winds but it kicked up and was pretty much 17 to 20 mph. Left the dock at 1:00 pm with fly fishing buddy Peter to fish the last of the incoming tide and some of the out going. Back bay was clean and 59.5 to 60.3 degrees. We fished poppers and clousers and tried 6 spots in the back bay. We never got a single hit or a swirl and saw very little signs of bait fish. After working the back really hard for 2 hours we shot to the inlet. Water was 59 degrees, nice and clean, but a bit sporty with the wave action from the strong North East winds. We worked it for and hour and never got a hit there either, so we headed back to the dock at 4:00 pm. Only trip all year where we got skunked and never got a single hit the whole trip.

With such beautiful weather today and super light winds I had to squeeze in a fishing trip. I only had a three hour window to go fishing as I had to pick up another friend at 3:00 pm to go to Ocean City to race remote control sailboats with the guys from our sailing club. Left the dock at 11:15 am. There was little to no wind and it was right at dead low tide. Actually had to leave my slip using the electric motor as being close to the new moon we has sort of a blow out tide. We headed out to the inlet just as the tide was starting to come in and the water was 60.5 degrees and a little dirty, but not too bad. Looked to be about 3 feet of visibility.

First half hour we did not get a single hit. Finally we found some fish. First fish of the day was a striper and it was the biggest of the day. From then on it was good fishing. We ended up with 15 stripers in total, 2 fluke one of which was keeper size, but with closed season it was released. The surprize of the day was a nice 21 1/2 inch speckled trout. I thought it was another striper until I saw the nice pink sheen of its side. Had one other nice fish on but lost it. It was either another striper or another speck.

All fish were caught on chartreuse/white clousers on sinking line. The time went by super fast and we had to head back in at 1:45 to make it to sailing in time. It was tough to leave with the bite still going strong. Felt good to get out on the water and we had a fun afternoon.

During our trip we did see several pods of bunker working up the beach, but there were no signs of anything working them. Saw a couple of guys trying to fish under them but they had no luck.
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 10-24-2019 at 07:34 PM.

Thought we could duplicate or do better than yesterday since we were not time restricted. Left the dock at 12:30 pm. The tide was a little lower than Thursday. We just barely got out of my slip with the electric motor. We headed to the ocean. Water was a bit dirtier than Thursday but still not too bad and it was 60.7 degrees and the tide was just starting to come in. First spot we tried we both hooked up stripers at the same time and we thought we would slam them. It didn't happen. After that we fished till 3:30 pm. and worked hard for our addtional 4 stripers and trying 4 different spots. All the fish were about the same size.

It was a little windier than Thursday and cloudy which should of been perfect. Today we saw only one very small school of bunker, no baitfish anywhere and no bird activity the whole trip. Did see a mess of small jelly fish in the water. All our fish were around the same size and a couple had sea lice on them so they must be migrating fish. Again they were caught on chartreuse/white clousers using sinking line and we had to work hard for them.

Hello Testing to see if I can report.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

Fine. Hello all & sorry for being gone so long. Ray, Thanks for taking up the slack & I trust you are well. We stayed N. a little longer this summer & we are presently in Charlotte, N.C. Visiting the Billy Graham foundation. We hope we will be able to help them this winter in a planned function in K.W. Going to be in N.Carolina a few more days, quick stop in S.E. Tenn visiting a friend then back to the keys. Hoping to be able to read som good reports before the winter sets in on you. Stay well & stay in touch.
    rob likes this.
    Ron Conner
    MODERATOR SALT WATER FLY FISHING FORUM
    release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough. Sparse

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in