Fishing Reports November 1 to November 30th
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Fishing Reports November 1 to November 30th

Default Fishing Reports November 1 to November 30th

Heck of a blow last night with heavy rains. My wind gauge at the house showed winds a little over 50 mph. No fishing today. Checked the ocean and the back bay. They both looked pretty brownish from the winds and rain. Went down and checked on the boat with no thoughts of fishing today as the wind is still honking out of the west and it would be no fun to fish anywhere.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

It was just too beautiful a day for this time of year not to go fishing. Afternoon it was sunny and air temperatures in the 60's and they were calling for little to no wind on a November Day. Who could ask for more. Fly fishing buddy Peter and I left the dock at 2:15 pm with a light westerly wind. My first thought was to head to the ocean where we had been catching, but with the tide still up pretty high and going out I decided to try the back bay. I hadn't fished it for awhile and wanted to see if there was any action as the last time I fished there it was pretty dead.

First spot was the mouth of creek with a nice flow and the water was 60 degrees. About the 3rd cast I got a small striper and picked up another one shortly there after. We worked 6 more prime spots were we missed one fish and caught the nicest striper of the afternoon. A little disappointed and after two hours of fishing, Peter said let's go to the ocean where we have been seeing better action. We were both using chartreuse/white clousers fished on intermediate line.

4:20 pm we started fishing the ocean. The wind was getting lighter and the water temp was 59.3 and we switched over to fishing our clousers using sinking line. We started out with a few really dinky stripers around 13 inches and then as the sun was getting lower, until dark we had better action. We finished with a nice flurry of fish. Our stripers were bigger, going 18 to 19 inches Peter caught 2 of our 3 speckled Trout and our first redfish of the year.

With the sun down, the temperature dropping and with zero wind we headed back to the dock to get some dinner. It was a great afternoon. We had 11 stripers, 3 specks and a redfish with perfect November fishing weather and a beautiful red sky sunset. The decision to fish the ocean really paid off.
    rob likes this.

rob

Quote Originally Posted by CapeMayRay View Post
    It was just too beautiful a day for this time of year not to go fishing. Afternoon it was sunny and air temperatures in the 60's and they were calling for little to no wind on a November Day. Who could ask for more. Fly fishing buddy Peter and I left the dock at 2:15 pm with a light westerly wind. My first thought was to head to the ocean where we had been catching, but with the tide still up pretty high and going out I decided to try the back bay. I hadn't fished it for awhile and wanted to see if there was any action as the last time I fished there it was pretty dead.

First spot was the mouth of creek with a nice flow and the water was 60 degrees. About the 3rd cast I got a small striper and picked up another one shortly there after. We worked 6 more prime spots were we missed one fish and caught the nicest striper of the afternoon. A little disappointed and after two hours of fishing, Peter said let's go to the ocean where we have been seeing better action. We were both using chartreuse/white clousers fished on intermediate line.

4:20 pm we started fishing the ocean. The wind was getting lighter and the water temp was 59.3 and we switched over to fishing our clousers using sinking line. We started out with a few really dinky stripers around 13 inches and then as the sun was getting lower, until dark we had better action. We finished with a nice flurry of fish. Our stripers were bigger, going 18 to 19 inches Peter caught 2 of our 3 speckled Trout and our first redfish of the year.

With the sun down, the temperature dropping and with zero wind we headed back to the dock to get some dinner. It was a great afternoon. We had 11 stripers, 3 specks and a redfish with perfect November fishing weather and a beautiful red sky sunset. The decision to fish the ocean really paid off.

Ray, in the ocean did you still fish the edge of the surf line like you often do? or the rocks? or both?

------------

Rob

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

We did both along the rocks and right up on the surf line. Again it was so calm you could cast your fly onto the sand and work in in and along the drop right at the beach. It was one of those perfect afternoons that your will rarely find this time of the year. Would of tried again today but was racing remote control sailboats at regatta in Mt Laurel. Overall it was a great weekend. Here was the sunset Saturday Night.
    rob likes this.

We had another one of those super nice days in Cape May again today. It was in the 60's today and they predicted light winds for this afternoon. Called fishing buddy Peter and we left the dock around 3:00 pm. and headed to the ocean to fish the out going tide. Ocean water was 59 degrees. We had the light wind but there was still a fairly good sea swell coming in so getting in super tight to the beach was not possible. We could not fish the areas that we really wanted to. In close to the beach the water was a bit dirty and seem to get murkier while we fished. We did get 3 small stripers up to 19 inches and our smallest speckled trout of the year on clousers. The speck was only 16 1/2 inches long.

After bouncing around like a bucking bronco for an hour and a half we decided to shoot to the back bay before the sun went down and fish some nice calm water. The water in the back was 58 degrees and really nice and clean. The best that I have seen in awhile. The first spot we worked a creek mouth. I started out with a popping fly and Peter went with a clouser on intermediate and Peter hooked a 19 inch striper.

Second spot I missed a decent size bass that slammed my popper twice and taking it under and running with it. I tried to set the hook, felt the weight and it came off.

Third spot we fished was a rip line. I had another decent fish hit my popper, but never really took it, so I switched over to a clouser and started catching right away. We caught 8 more stripers up to 20 inches and had a few hits and missed. We ended up quitting at 5:30 pm with the fish still biting. Peter got a really bad tight knot in his fly line and was ready to quit and tried to lift a bass over the side of the boat without a net my leader broke and I didn't feel like tying another one on in the dark. We had a great afternoon, had some fun. With sun down it was starting to get colder and we watched another great sunset. It was another perfect November afternoon.
    fdformicola likes this.

Can't believe the good weather window we have had this first week of November. I think today might be one of the last good days that we see for awhile. Peter and I had to go out again this afternoon. They were calling for the winds to be down to 10 mph by eary afternoon and suppose to die away as the sun went down. Believe it or not the weather man got it right again. That's two days in a row.

We left the dock at 2:15 pm. and headed to the ocean to fish the last of the incoming tide. Water in the ocean was 58.3 degrees and there was a pretty good northwest wind blowing. We only saw one other boat fishing and they were fishing for tautog. We didn't have the sea swell like yesterday and were able to tuck up tight to the beach. With the boat in 4 to 5 feet of water we were able to work the surf line. Both of us fished sinking lines using chartreuse/white clousers. We got no speckled trout today but caught 6 small stripers to 20 inches. After fishing till 4:00 pm. and with the wind dying out we decided to head to the back before it got dark and hit a few spots on the out going tide.

First creek looked really promising. Peter switched to intermediate and I went to a popping fly and floating line. Water temp was 58 degrees. We saw some baitfish splashes but never got a hit, so we move on to spot number two. Spot number two the water was 56.3 degrees and super clear. I could see bottom in 4 to 5 feet of water. (Can't remember when I saw water that good looking.) I might of been years. Here we both hooked up at the same time and moved on as we got no other hits. We quickly worked three other creek mouths and got no hits, so it was off to our go to spot.

It produced. Water there was also 56 degrees and we both fished clousers on intermediate line. The fish started hitting right away and we stayed and fished it till. 5:45 pm. catching 12 more stripers. Most were 18 to 19 inches and reminded me of the good old days. It was the first time all year that we saw baitfish being chased by stripers as the current would sweep along the sod bank. The bass would either swirl on the surface or come out of the water chasing the bait. My last fish was my best of the night and again we left the fish biting as Peter was already late for a dinner that he promised to be home in time for.

We both had a great afternoon, we had perfect weather, ending with zero wind, with it very comfortable even after the sun went down. Catching 20 stripers on the fly in 3 1/2 hours of fishing, you couldn't ask for more. Looking at the weather ahead it maybe a while before we get really nice weather again. If we do it will not be as warm as hit has been on the last two trips.
    rob likes this.

rob

I love that trolling motor, mean to get one when I retire and actually have time on the water great pics (except that last one ), great report... thanks!

btw I was that boat out for tog (well, not *that* one, a few islands to the north)

------------

Rob

I would feel naked without and electric motor. I remember when I was one of the few that had one 20 years ago. Now seems like everyone has one now. That last picture was the really bad. Peter has a flip phone and was using my I phone which gets him mixed up. He must of had it moving when he took the picture. Then he hit a button that took the flash off and I was getting multiple dark shots. It was the best fish of the night and made my afternoon.

Here is some disturbing news about striped bass. https://www.bayjournal.com/article/striped_bass_decline_spurs_new_look_at_mycobacteri a

You will probably have to paste it to get it to come up.
    Last edited by CapeMayRay; 11-07-2019 at 12:07 PM.

Was suppose race remote control sailboats this afternoon up in Ocean City, but too many guys couldn't make our new 3:00 pm. start time. With sailing out I checked out the weather and I wanted to get in another trip. Wind was south southwest at 10 to 12 mph. and suppose to die down to around 7 mph by sunset. Peter and I left the dock at 2:20 pm and headed to the ocean. Water was clean and 57 to 58 degrees with a fairly good swell. We wanted to fish in tight to the beach, but there was pretty good surf. With the wind and wave action we worked it for about 15 minutes and headed for the back where we saw better fish action the two previous trips.

Worked a sheltered sod bank to start. Water here was calm and 55 degrees so I decided to try a popping fly and Peter worked a clouser. I got the first small striper on the popping fly and thought it was the start of another action packed trip. It just never happened. We worked a total of 8 prime spots really hard. They had clean water, looked fishy, but we felt the lack of any real current was killing us. Today the two high tides were very low. 4.0 feet and 4.4 feet this afternoon. This created no real flow coming in and no flow going out.

The wind again died out to zero, like the last two nights and even the overcast skies did not help. We had 4 more surface strikes and landed another striper about the same size. Even with tide going out for an hour and a half there was next to no tide at our go too spot. We worked it with clousers and had 2 hits and landed another small striper and decided to call it quits at 5:45 pm. Even as we passed under the 50 cent bridge there was little tide moving at all. Can't have a good trip every time. It was an enjoyable afternoon, but it was not the fishing that we anticipated. Driving home to the house it started to lightly rain, so our timing there was good.

So far November has been a great month for fishing. Not for the big keeper size stripers that everyone wants, but for decent numbers of smaller bass and the mix of redfish and specks.

With all the high winds on Friday there was no fishing for me. Did winterize the outside shower which was good as it got into the 20's and all our annuals in the gardens bit the dust. Didn't really think about fishing today, but after breakfast I noticed that there was little wind. Checked the weather and they were calling for 2 mph winds till late afternoon so it was game on. You can never let a windless November day go by without doing some type of fishing.

Peter and I left the dock at 12:45 pm. to fish the incoming tide in the ocean, as the water in the back bay was too low to work our normal spots. Water in the harbor was 54 degrees and when we got to the ocean it was 55 to 56 degrees. Looked like tog fever as there were a number of boats anchored along the jetty rocks togging. Ocean water was nice and clean and with no sea swell we and we were able to get right up on the surf line. Felt pretty nice as with no wind and the sun beating down on us you didn't feel the need for all the heavy winter gear.

All afternoon we had a steady pick of fish. We work three different areas and caught fish at all three spots. With the water very low and with little to no current we both fished intermediate lines with chartreuse/white clousers instead of our heavy sinking lines. We caught 8 stripers on the afternoon with the smallest one going 19 inches. We had a nice treat of 3 redfish. All over the 18 inch keeper size with the biggest going 21 inches. On the first one I actually had a second fish follow it up to the boat as I was netting it. Our second and third redfish both Peter and I were hooked up at the same time. (really rare to get a redfish, let alone two on at once.)

Also to add extra sweetness to the day I caught a 21 inch speckled trout. Around 3:15 pm with the sun getting lower, it getting a little cooler and the breeze picking up a little we decided we had enough fun for the day. 12 nice fish in 3 1/2 hours of fishing, who could ask for a better afternoon. On the way home stopped by the Lobster house for some crab cakes and shrimp to end a perfect day.
    shbackbay, fdformicola and rob like this.

nice day nice to see the reds and specks

turn the poachers in & stop the waste

just a little more C&R
    let fishin be fun
    KILL ONLY WHAT YOU EAT
    BUY AMERICAN
    XVlll Abn Corp 65' to 67'

Ray these posts are making me jealous. Took boat out a couple weeks ago

It is been a little weird. A friend in Florida said we were getting more redfish than he is seeing. Another friend in Florida is getting 4 and 5 lb bluefish in the Indian River and I haven't seen one in the last two months. Was away the last few days visiting the grand kids and when I got back to Cape May tonight it is freezing cold so it could be the end of the specks and reds. Will see what happens this week if get a few fairly warm fishable days. Maybe if we are super lucky some of those fish up north will start moving down, but that is sort of a pipe dream anymore.

Got in a trip on a perfect November day before all the nasty weather comes in for the weekend and what a trip it was. Wind was to be 5 to 7 mph winds from the northwest and going to gale force winds late tonight into the weekend. Fly fishing buddy Larry and I left the dock at 1:15 pm. to fish the last of the out going tide. When leaving the dock the water in the inter harbor was 52.3 degrees. Before heading to the ocean to see if we could find some redfish or specks I wanted to try a couple of spots in the back bay where I knew there would be a good tidal flow.

We worked two spots. The water temps were 49 to 51 degrees and we found great action at both spots. We both fished intermediate lines. Larry fished a half and half and I used a clouser. Action was hot and heavy and we caught 16 stripers in 1 1/2 hours with a couple of double hookups. All the fish were decent size with the smallest 18 inches. Action was good until our rip line current was reduced to just a trickle.

We then decided to shoot to the ocean and see if there were any redfish or specks around. Water in the ocean was 52 degrees and the wind was dying out as we fished the rest of the afternoon. Using the same flies as we did in the back we caught 8 more stripers and missed one speckled trout. We fished till 5:00 pm. when it was starting to get a bit colder. Like a few other trips this month, we were treated to another fantastic sunset.

24 stripers in four hours of fishing, with light winds, with light seas and it was warm enough where you wet hands didn't feel like would freeze off. Who could ask for more. We both went home feeling really good as we cruised back to the dock with zero wind.
    fdformicola likes this.

Default Great Post!

Ray, Absolutely great post - pics and all. We'll see how things are after this NoEaster.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in