Sandy Hook for the first time
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sandy Hook for the first time

Default Sandy Hook for the first time

I am going to sandy hook for teh first time with my fly rod this weekend. I am looking for any tips on flies. Also if there is any action going on.

Thanks
    AP

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

Default The Hook

Are you going in a boat or on foot? Sandy is a fantastic place. Yes they are reporting action. If you're going to be on foot, get to the point and great fishy locations are all over the place. Rips, lagoons, points. On foot the watchword is CAREFUL. The shore line up there drops off sharper than anywhere I've ever seen and the current so strong it'll sweep the sand out from under you in 10 secs. and then you're in 12 ft. of water. I'm telling you it's like a cliff in alot of spots up there. If your in a boat, theres lots of great spots as well, fish the same shoreline. A heavy line is almost mandatory. I run a 450 grain for the rips up there. The bay behind the hook is fishing well. Fish the channel edges that run into Raritan Bay. Flies, Hum, lets see. Go with the common flies. Blue over white deceivers 6" long, chart/white clousers. Lavender and white deceivers and last but not least CRABBY clousers. Post back if you're going with a boat. And again, please be careful on that beach, two guys got swept away last fall.

The Hook has everything for a flyfisherman, beachfronts, rips, flats, rivers, channels, and depending where u fish u can always have the wind at our back. Like Flyguy said be careful. I was there the day the two crabbers got swept away. If youre in good shape id walk out to the point and fish the rip. The blues are comin and it can be fantastic up there.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in