I saw a whale!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I saw a whale!

Default I saw a whale!

anyone ever see one off jersey before? out of all the things ive seen fishing and surfing all my life...this was a first for me. saw it yesterday morning from the beach. came up about 1/2 mile out and blew water out 4-5 times before it disappeared. it was amazing...

2. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

The unexpected while standing at the waters edge that is positive is a blessing. Glad you had the experience. My last one was in MAUI.

Seen quite a few offshore, a few inshore, and only 1 or 2 from the beach
    So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause

5. Remove Advertisements
    TheBassBarn.com
    Advertisements

see them offshore often.

inshore a little less often.

and saw a large wrightwale surface not 25' from us in the delaware bay near brandywine light.
    31' Jersey Cape Little Devil

Canyon Club B Dock

www.sterlingtackle.com

i saw one at seaside once. it was pretty funny it was like one of those 50 degree early spring days when everyone would hit the boardwalk. walking along i saw a few oldtimers looking at the ebach i thought what the hel lare they looking at, there is no one on the beach. then one of the side flippers came up from a whale. we sat there a few hours watching it. i wasnt totally sure if it was one huge one or if there was also a baby. if it was one the side flippers were enormous. to me it was hard to tell if those were a baby whale jumping. few guys told me its pretty common there, usually every year. that one was there about 2 weeks they said. i forget but i think there were 2 piers, it was actully hanging out in between the piers. the coast guard was watching it from one of the orange rubber boats. it was one of the coolest things i have ever seen.

My dad and I were pretty lucky (or almost very unlucky?) to have what I think was a right whale (it had a lot of barnacles all over its head, and moved verrry slowly) going in and out of a school of bunker we were picking bass and blues from a couple of decembers ago. I took this picture with my camera phone from the boat, so the picture doesn't do much justice to how close this whale was to the boat, all of maybe 30 feet. I'll definatly never forget it! By the way, this was about 1.5-2NM off North Wildwood.

Quote Originally Posted by customXrider View Post
    My dad and I were pretty lucky (or almost very unlucky?) to have what I think was a right whale (it had a lot of barnacles all over its head, and moved verrry slowly) going in and out of a school of bunker we were picking bass and blues from a couple of decembers ago. I took this picture with my camera phone from the boat, so the picture doesn't do much justice to how close this whale was to the boat, all of maybe 30 feet. I'll definatly never forget it! By the way, this was about 1.5-2NM off North Wildwood.

ed? whats up man... its matt, stolenxideas from ECBB

Default whale

I smelled one last year that washed up on the beach in the Crest.
    The thing was huge and boy did it stink.
    One day we were sitting there and one surfaced 10 yards next to us out at the Tongue by the Hudson Canyon. Reminded me of the Moby Dick movie.

Default i dont know if anyone will remember this...

about 3 or 4 fall seasons ago the bite was HOT and real inshore, right off of the beach in SH. it was prob late october/early nov. and we fished with this whale for about 4 hours. this was a HUGE whale, dont even know the species, but there was more bait and life around this thing. It was an amazing day, we were in a solid fleet of boats and nothing was spooking, esp the whale, real warm too we all ended up in t-shirts.

saw one running back from cm reef this year....not too uncommon this time of year....you wanna see some sh!t migrating south?..take a run out to the bank for some blues and watch the show...
    Its 4:20 someplace.....
    Sharks have a week dedicated to him..AAAI-ISMA Certified Cycling Instructor
    AAAI-ISMA Certified Kick Box Instructor

I saw a whale!

Quote Originally Posted by FarrellX View Post
    anyone ever see one off jersey before? .
    What bar were you at when you saw "her"......

Ive seen them offshore out in the canyons but never close to the beach....
    Fishing isn't just a sport it's a lifestyle....

Quote Originally Posted by FarrellX View Post
    anyone ever see one off jersey before? out of all the things ive seen fishing and surfing all my life...this was a first for me. saw it yesterday morning from the beach. came up about 1/2 mile out and blew water out 4-5 times before it disappeared. it was amazing...
    October 31 2008. On the Sea Star out of Cape May for stripers. 3 miles out front from Stone Harbor. Big Fin Back spouting 50 - 60 ft.in the air about 2 miles further out. At about the 3 mile line we started CATCHING - mix of 12lb.blues and stripers. Then about an hour goes by and this whale is about 50 yards off the Bow. The giant was circling/corralling the blues and stripers then started like body surfing through the circled prey - with its huge jaws just snapping away on top of the surface! The fish were on top to the bottom - solid mass. Boat limited-out with 21 anglers - with a load of blues. I caught 4 keeper bass and 2 12 lb blues. I had the smallest fish of ALL FISH caught- a 28 1/4 inch striper !! Lost a lot of rigs to the blues. I caught 2 of my keepers on live eel and 2 on a bucktail-with a wire leader!(went through 8 eels)You could see the blues and stripers on the surface swimming around and by the boat -a guy next to me also tried a surface popper - What FUN- SEEING the Stripers and Blues chasing his plug right to the boat. Same thing with the bucktails! HIT the MOTHERLODE that day! Beautiful weather,a feeding whale 'next' to the boat,hundreds of Gannetts diving like mad all around the boat AND - WE were the ONLY boat!! MAD BEAUTIFUL MAYHEM from HEAVEN !!
    Last edited by BILLO; 11-20-2008 at 09:58 AM.

Philadelphia, Huntingdon County PA,Sea Isle City, Forked River

Quote Originally Posted by customXrider View Post

i remember around that time in that area many whales around

Default I saw a whale

Funny this topic came up, I was going through some old pictures the other day and came across a photo that my da d took in 1929 of a dead whale on "Whale Beach" There is a man standing on it and it is labeld John Grillo....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in